• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Share your best fitness tip, pose, exercise, activity

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The 15 lb kettle bell I bought came from a Play It Again Sports. Maybe $20? But took quite a few times looking before I found one heavy enough to be worth buying.

They seem to be priced roughly by weight, and I assume that's true for used a well. I would need a 12kg bell, ie 26 pounds. I'll check with them tomorrow. The kicker is, after a month or two at this , I'd want 14kg.

marzNC

Angel Diva
They seem to be priced roughly by weight, and I assume that's true for used a well. I would need a 12kg bell, ie 26 pounds. I'll check with them tomorrow. The kicker is, after a month or two at this , I'd want 14kg.
Yep, used weights that are heavier are more expensive than lighter ones. If you can ever find one. I'm using 24-25 lbs with my personal trainer or at the fitness center but not interested in buying a heavy kettlebell until I know what weight makes the most sense in the long run. Can only use the heaviest weight when I've been doing those exercises consistently, meaning 2-3 times a week.

My fitness center is a mile from my house. In theory I could easily go more than once a week when I'm home. In practice, it doesn't always work out that way.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, used weights that are heavier are more expensive than lighter ones. If you can ever find one. I'm using 24-25 lbs with my personal trainer or at the fitness center but not interested in buying a heavy kettlebell until I know what weight makes the most sense in the long run. Can only use the heaviest weight when I've been doing those exercises consistently, meaning 2-3 times a week.

My fitness center is a mile from my house. In theory I could easily go more than once a week when I'm home. In practice, it doesn't always work out that way.

For sure. I'm a lot bigger than you, and I started off doing KB swings yesterday with the 12kg. I've done them in the past, so form isn't an issue - and I've been doing deadlifts, so my posterior chain is strong. So I fully expect to be up to 14kg fairly soon.

My gym is pretty much on my commute. I just feel like now I'll be going there literally every morning I'm not in the mountains. I don't love showering at the gym - more to the point, planning out my clothes without actually walking out the door in them - but I sweat too much with any of these activities to skip that step.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
The Play It Again Sports in South Boulder (same plaza as Southern Sun) definitely has kettlebells, fwiw. Not sure of sizes / price.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The Play It Again Sports in South Boulder (same plaza as Southern Sun) definitely has kettlebells, fwiw. Not sure of sizes / price.

Yeah, I was going to call there and the Longmont one. But unless they're incredibly on sale, I need to suck it up and go to the gym.

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought a 30 lb kettleball on Amazon for $23, and I was sure it was a pricing mistake. It's now $86. But, like @marzNC says, I can use it only when I've been doing those exercises consistently. If only there was an easy way to get it to you, @bounceswoosh ....

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I bought a 30 lb kettleball on Amazon for $23, and I was sure it was a pricing mistake. It's now $86. But, like @marzNC says, I can use it only when I've been doing those exercises consistently. If only there was an easy way to get it to you, @bounceswoosh ....

It turns out that a friend in Boulder has a 12kg I can borrow!

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They seem to be priced roughly by weight, and I assume that's true for used a well. I would need a 12kg bell, ie 26 pounds. I'll check with them tomorrow. The kicker is, after a month or two at this , I'd want
My thoughts, exactly, you two!

Yeah, I've been thinking about it. Eventually I'll go to a higher weight, but not yet. I hate to ship something that heavy - I hear the used sporting goods places around here have them sometimes, so I'll check there first.

Also, I LOVE kettle bell swings. They're fun, and they make me feel powerful!

Oh, I sent Chris the blog post about lifting shoes. I did notice that the comment about deadlifts was right after a picture of a guy doing a squat with weights on top of an exercise ball, which I felt inherently made the whole post questionable. Chris just kind of shrugged. The author didn't explain their reasoning, but Chris said that the whole point was to help right now while I'm experiencing knee pain, and that we'll fade it out when I don't need it.
The article was from beyond the whiteboard - whiteboard is a CF thing I think the site may even be a forum, I don’t know. The guy on the ball was a joke ( IIRC I think they were talking about inherently bad squats ) as was his comment about deadlifting shoes for the most part. It was the quickest article I could find that explained accurately what the heel was for in a weightlifting shoe that was an easy read. This one is more more serious. Starting strength is another good more serious in depth site that has about 500 forums on deadlifting in WL shoes as well as an alternate view to some of the others.https://barbend.com/non-weightlifters-wear-olympic-weightlifting-shoes/. I personally have no view one way or the other, I could care less, I rarely even deadlift. It’s just an age old question in the lifting community so I am always curious.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
:bump:

This is a great off season thread. Anyone have anything new to share?

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm doing my usual indoor cycling classes 4x/wk. I'm lifting 3x/wk. The newest thing I've discovered, though, is assisted stretching. Fantastic. I have a session once a week if I can (and stretch on my own in between). Today is a one-hour deep stretch session. It is my new Friday happy hour.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm sure it's been said before, but my best fitness tip is that something is always better than nothing.
Agreed! The best exercise is the one you do consistently!

That said, I've been running 3x/week, lifting once/week, and hiking as often as possible. My goal is to fit into my "skinny snowpants" this winter! :ski2:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
I started a 2x / week strength training class in early June and I’ve really been enjoying it.

I’m curious to hear other people’s experiences with strength training... did you take a while to feel noticeably stronger? Do you feel like it helped with weight loss? Did you have any injury issues as you ramped up?

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My input, @RachelV :
Did you take a while to feel noticeably stronger? --As I got into my late 50s, it seemed to take a very long time to build up in weights. But that might be due to my not pushing myself too much working out by myself.
Do you feel like it helped with weight loss? --Not really, but it did help with how my clothes fit anyway.
Did you have any injury issues as you ramped up? --No. That seemed to come from jumping type moves and doing them too energetically, not from strength training. Also, I've had minor pulls and tweaks from pushing too hard in Pilates.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I was doing strength training for a time (I haven't done it in a bit because I don't have time to fit it in my schedule). With free weights, I felt like I noticed a strength improvement pretty quickly, bodyweight stuff was a lot slower. I don't feel that it helped with weight loss, but I could see noticeable muscle changes and that made me feel happier with my body and body composition and I don't ever really care too much about weight. I did have a few muscle tweaks that I would blame on trying to do compound lifts without a coach or someone to check form. I was able to pay attention to my body and give a rest when needed and then read up on the internet on cues to get better form and that definitely helped (I'm lookin at you, squat and deadlift).

Sometimes I think just the act of working out makes me view my body with different eyes. Ostensibly I might look the same, but when I'm working out my body feels and seems to look different to me. I've been doing well with incorporating core workouts recently a few times a week in addition to my regular climbing workouts, and even though my body looks pretty much the same as it did a few months ago, I'm way more comfortable and happy chasing my kids around in a bikini than I would have been beforehand.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I started a 2x / week strength training class in early June and I’ve really been enjoying it.

I’m curious to hear other people’s experiences with strength training... did you take a while to feel noticeably stronger? Do you feel like it helped with weight loss? Did you have any injury issues as you ramped up?
I only do a little weight lifting, more for bone building than strength training. But using the TRX is based on body weight so I get some strength training from that. For the months when I'm working with my personal trainer weekly and exercising more regularly, usually can feel a difference in 2-3 weeks. Even last summer when I was actively working on losing a few pounds, I don't think the strength training made much difference in terms of weight loss. Certainly far less than the intermittent fasting I learned about from the discussion of The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung. Note that my weight only fluctuates 2-3 pounds from what I consider a good weight. I was holding around that weight for a 20-30 years before age 55.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Not new to me, but rather a set of simple ski conditioning exercises I found in 2012 during knee rehab that I've continued to do ever since. What I like is that they can be done any where, any time, and don't require much warm up and no equipment. The four are bunny hops, walking lunges with an extra down movement, squats, and wall sit. Clear explanation of how to do the exercises correctly by a well known personal trainer from Australia, Amelia Burton Phillips.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly