• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Share your best fitness tip, pose, exercise, activity

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We haven't talked about it in a while, but I believe it's because I have limited range of motion in my ankles. Same reason I have heel lifts in my ski boots. (I do calf stretches every day, both straight and bent knee - doesn't seem to do much!)
How high is the heel in your weightlifting shoe? As a strict weightlifter my coach wanted me to squat in my lifting shoes everyday as I was training for strength in the 2 lifts the shoes are designed for I should be doing my auxiliary work to match the same position. I originally compromised with him for 6 weeks and then switched to squatting in them every other day instead. The reason was my calves were getting too tight for other activities. Once I put on a shoe with a regular heel and did other activities I could feel it. So I switched it up because I felt like I might get hurt doing other things if I didn’t. My PT told me prior to this that my dorsiflexion was circus stuff, and I am getting it back but it was compromised for sure. That being said there is nothing inherently wrong with deadlifting in a flat or heeled shoe. Competitive power lifters can hardly agree on which is best. Those who wear them do so to increase quad activity during the beginning phase of the lift, So I just curious why it was recommended.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How high is the heel in your weightlifting shoe? As a strict weightlifter my coach wanted me to squat in my lifting shoes everyday as I was training for strength in the 2 lifts the shoes are designed for I should be doing my auxiliary work to match the same position. I originally compromised with him for 6 weeks and then switched to squatting in them every other day instead. The reason was my calves were getting too tight for other activities. Once I put on a shoe with a regular heel and did other activities I could feel it. So I switched it up because I felt like I might get hurt doing other things if I didn’t. My PT told me prior to this that my dorsiflexion was circus stuff, and I am getting it back but it was compromised for sure. That being said there is nothing inherently wrong with deadlifting in a flat or heeled shoe. Competitive power lifters can hardly agree on which is best. Those who wear them do so to increase quad activity during the beginning phase of the lift, So I just curious why it was recommended.

Yeah - I'll revisit it with him when I see him next. I only do a few squats - body weight just to warm up - right now. I don't wear shoes for the warmup, so I put my heels on the edge of a wrestling type mat, and it feels better on my knee.

My calves were tighter a few months ago - before starting deadlifts - than they are now with shoes + deadlifts, so I don't think they're making my calves tighter. Since the surgery, both calves get crazy tight - they're clearly working too hard in place of some other muscle that should be doing the job more efficiently.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah - I'll revisit it with him when I see him next. I only do a few squats - body weight just to warm up - right now. I don't wear shoes for the warmup, so I put my heels on the edge of a wrestling type mat, and it feels better on my knee.

My calves were tighter a few months ago - before starting deadlifts - than they are now with shoes + deadlifts, so I don't think they're making my calves tighter. Since the surgery, both calves get crazy tight - they're clearly working too hard in place of some other muscle that should be doing the job more efficiently.
Oh I don’t think it’s critical to know, at least not for me. I was just curious as people are either deadset either way it’s always fun to hear why. Have you done much lateral strength work? Might help with the calves. Check out Cossack squat it’s a good stretch for calves, I just watched a great video on using it as a stretch. Can’t remember where I saw it though.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Just tried those Leg Blasters tonight and holy moly they are no joke. Just did the first session (10x mini blasters with 30 sec rest between rounds) and my legs are SMOKED. And this is after doing over a month of squats and lunges and stuff.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ugh. I did a lot of leg blasters as part of knee rehab. My knee hated them, though, so I never did a lot.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Look, you.

Okay, fine, I did enough leg blasters in rehab to know that I hated them. But I didn't do enough for fitness because they irritated my knee too much.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oh I don’t think it’s critical to know, at least not for me. I was just curious as people are either deadset either way it’s always fun to hear why. Have you done much lateral strength work? Might help with the calves. Check out Cossack squat it’s a good stretch for calves, I just watched a great video on using it as a stretch. Can’t remember where I saw it though.

Well, I really wanted to know! I was working out yesterday while my trainer was coaching his climbing team, and I asked. He was baffled as to why anyone would say not to deadlift with lifting shoes. Asked me to send him the article, which I just dug up and sent him.

That Cossack squat looks rough for my right knee right now.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I really wanted to know! I was working out yesterday while my trainer was coaching his climbing team, and I asked. He was baffled as to why anyone would say not to deadlift with lifting shoes. Asked me to send him the article, which I just dug up and sent him.

That Cossack squat looks rough for my right knee right now.
That’s too bad on the knee, as a stretch It feels amazing on tight calves.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That’s too bad on the knee, as a stretch It feels amazing on tight calves.

Story of my life =) I'd like to do X, but then Y hurts.

It might not be that bad. I might experiment with it.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I keep trying to find this video for you that showed how to move the foot into different positions to get different areas. I think it was in an email though and I did a major purge...

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oof. My trainer has added another set of workouts to my schedule.

So now, every week is to include:

2-3 days of skiing
2 hot yoga classes
2 strength sessions
2-3 (short) heart rate sessions

For the heart rate and strength sessions, there's a warmup that takes me 12ish minutes. And I have stretches and small exercises I do several times a day for my knee.

OY.

I'm allowed to sub skinning for a heart rate session ;-) And I can do yoga + strength OR heart rate on the same day, but I am to avoid strength + heart rate on the same day.

I'll have a lighter "rest" week every month-ish. I also have a massage scheduled every other week in the evenings.

Does this even sound possible??? When I'm skiing, I don't have access to the gym or yoga classes. I could however theoretically do the heart rate workout on a ski day, if I'm not completely exhausted and my knee is behaving. But you know - I also have to work, take care of the dogs (ie make sure they get out to potty at a minimum), eat decent food, and occasionally see my husband! Who travels for work regularly. I may need to hire some dog-letter-outers ....

I think I need to start getting up super early on a regular basis. There's a 6:15 yoga class 15 minutes from the house. I could do that and then drive straight to the gym, do the lifting workout, and get to work by maybe 9:30 ...

Last season, my knee didn't allow me to ski enough to get any kind of workout (strength OR cardio), but the skiing hurt my knee enough to keep me from doing anything else on those days. My trainer is doing a ton of good for my knee. It's a slow process, but I'm hoping that will no longer be the case over time. But OMG.

I want to emphasize that this workout is personalized for my goals and my body and my limitations. This workout is not intended for anyone but me. My workout will be changing as my requirements change. So don't use this as a basis for your workout, and definitely don't do any weight lifting without some instruction.

This is the warmup for strength and cardio workouts. I modify a bit - I don't do jump rope or burpees, but I do jumping jacks with arms not going above shoulders.

My strength training looks like this:

Before anything else - deadlifts. Four sets with 3 minutes between each set.

Then the following in pairs (like, do exercise A then B, repeat three more times. Then move on to the next pair. Four sets for each pair):
  • Lat pulldown + Hammer*. For now, I skip the hammer because it's irritating my shoulder.
  • Ring pushup** + Decline Situp***. For now, I skip the pushups.
  • Press**** + Row*****
  • Shoulder clock******
Then for the heart rate days, I have two options. I will have more once my shoulder is solid again. For each, I do all of the exercises one after the other, then wait a bit, then do them all again, for a total of three times. I gather this is what's meant by a "superset" or "compound set." These don't take much time - the warmup takes longer.

Option 1:
  • Kettlebell swings
  • Lateral jumps
  • Toe touches (legs elevated)
  • Jumping jacks
Option 2 - "jump roping without a rope":
I am instructed to switch the specific foot pattern frequently to avoid irritating my knee. Seems to work.
  • Two foot hop
  • One foot hop (80/20 weight distribution)
  • (Other one foot hop)
  • Bring knees up high
Note, I can do the warmup and Option 2 at home. I could do Option 1 at home, too, if I bought a kettlebell. This would be handy as my gym is 20+ minutes from my house (but on my way to work).

OH ALSO. Since my trainer does MAT and is generally good at fixing problems, I asked him if he had any input on my angulation - specifically, why is my mobility more limited on one side than the other? We didn't have time to get into it today - have an appointment next week - but he did have me do a couple of things, and he has some ideas.

Footnotes:

* My coach calls these "hammers." It's a great oblique/core workout. Unfortunately, it still irritates my shoulder.

** Ring pushups - you can control the difficulty of the pushup by putting your feet forward or backward from where the rings hang. It's easier if you take a step or two forward. Using rings also makes pushups a lot easier on your wrists and shoulders, because they can move freely rather than having to track exactly.

*** Decline sit up

**** Press - basically a standing military press. It's preparation for more complex lifts. Currently I'm doing it with a very light bar so that I'm practicing the movement without risking my shoulders

***** Row - https://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/two-arm-kettlebell-row

****** This is a shoulder PT exercise, basically. It involves a stretchy band attached to the wall, and pulling my arms back and to the side in various positions. At first I found the top two positions almost impossible, but now I can do all the positions comfortably, and feel a nice burn in my shoulders by the end of each set (and I'm sore around my shoulder blades - in a good way - the next day).

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I decided not to worry about fitting in a workout on a ski day, and planned my workout schedule accordingly. I also started going to a Pilates class weekly. So given these adjustments, an 8-week program turned into a 10 1/2 week program. I started it last Saturday. Workouts on Christmas and New Years, I'm afraid. Oh well, they're only 30 minutes long.

I haven't spelled out my goals for my workouts but they're pretty basic: develop strength and cardio stamina, increase flexibility and balance.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Pretty sure you're just going to have to quit the new job to fit all that in.

My thoughts, exactly, you two!

@bounceswoosh you could get your own kettlebell and do option 1 at home or condo too. Check Amazon. ( free shipping ). ;)

Yeah, I've been thinking about it. Eventually I'll go to a higher weight, but not yet. I hate to ship something that heavy - I hear the used sporting goods places around here have them sometimes, so I'll check there first.

Also, I LOVE kettle bell swings. They're fun, and they make me feel powerful!

Oh, I sent Chris the blog post about lifting shoes. I did notice that the comment about deadlifts was right after a picture of a guy doing a squat with weights on top of an exercise ball, which I felt inherently made the whole post questionable. Chris just kind of shrugged. The author didn't explain their reasoning, but Chris said that the whole point was to help right now while I'm experiencing knee pain, and that we'll fade it out when I don't need it.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG price.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ell-17au6u12klgrmkbxxktt/17au6u12klgrmkbxxktt

$50 for the weight I'd currently be using. Seems to be about standard. And I'd eventually go up a weight.

I can't imagine any way in which a used kettle bell is in any way diminished ... so I'd be surprised if they're any cheaper, but maybe.

Easier to do option #2 or just do option #1 in the gym on the way to/from yoga ... because between hot yoga and gym workouts, I'm finding myself showering twice a day just to keep up with the sweat!

marzNC

Angel Diva
OMG price.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...ell-17au6u12klgrmkbxxktt/17au6u12klgrmkbxxktt

$50 for the weight I'd currently be using. Seems to be about standard. And I'd eventually go up a weight.

I can't imagine any way in which a used kettle bell is in any way diminished ... so I'd be surprised if they're any cheaper, but maybe.
The 15 lb kettle bell I bought came from a Play It Again Sports. Maybe $20? But took quite a few times looking before I found one heavy enough to be worth buying.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna