• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shallow makeup question

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
I have uneven skin tone and even though small wrinkles are kicking in, I still have the the occasional hormonal zit show up along with naturally oily skin. Zits and wrinkles- life's not fair, haha! Currently when I'm skiing I use a lightweight moisturizer (Mary Kay) mostly ignoring the t-zone, spf50 sunscreen (neutrogena), then a liquid foundation (Mary Kay). I'd like to find an all-in-one product I can sweat/freeze through that doesn't make my skin break-out. Am I living in a fool's paradise to hope for for such a thing?

mustski

Angel Diva
Neutrogena has tinted moisturizers that I use when I want a bit of color in my skin without the make up hassle. Other than that, I use the Neutrogena wrinkle cream with retinol and the Mary Kay mineral powder. I also am prone to zits despite the wrinkling, but I have dry ski on parts of my face. For the most part, the Neutrogena does not cause break outs. Now, stress on the other hand ....

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I'm not sure if this really helps or not...I don't wear foundation, so I can't speak to that, but when I go skiing, I usually wear a night cream. I use the Neutrogena Naturals night cream. It's pretty dry here though and I find that night cream helps me the most throughout the day, and I can't really sweat/freeze through it. I usually put it on first thing when I get up (after I wash my face/shower) on a ski day, then go about getting ready. Right before I leave the house (and after my skin has fully absorbed the night cream), I put on spf 50 neutrogena face sunscreen. the one I have is a nice silky feel and not greasy. I used to put on the cream and the sunscreen together, and I find that it would often stay greasy and on the surface of my skin for the rest of the day. Just letting each 'layer' of cream dry out before adding the next one was a huge difference for me. So maybe it may not be the product, but maybe layering them on separately, and letting enough time elapse between application?

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Other than that, I use the Neutrogena wrinkle cream with retinol...

Another thumbs up on that. There is a sunscreen version, too. I don't think it really reduces wrinkles over time, but, being a heavy moisturizer, definitely hides them well for the day. :thumbsup: (I also keep a bottle of Lubriderm in my gear bag, in case I want something light on warmer days.)

Zits in winter are exacerbated by dry-skin flakes clogging pores already strained by cold air. Heavy moisturizing, counterintuitively, therefore prevents skin break-outs. I don't wear much makeup any more, but I always put down a layer of lotion before makeup, regardless of the weather. Not great for long-lasting looks, but helps prevent skin damage, and keeps the make up out of sensitive pores. The lotion also helps powder stick; I almost need it for eye shadow.

In other words, you may need at least two layers. A base layer of heavy moisturizer to protect your skin from the wind, the sun, and the makeup. Then some makeup for looks. I'd recommend powder because of its lightness, and reapplying as needed. Powder is easier to reapply on the slopes, too!

By the way, if you keep breaking out, try unscented products.

Just letting each 'layer' of cream dry out before adding the next one was a huge difference for me. So maybe it may not be the product, but maybe layering them on separately, and letting enough time elapse between application?

Hmmm... Makes sense. I'll have to experiment with that.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK. My partner tells me that the second layer should be "a lightweight concealer that is SPF 18-30". She thinks powder does not have enough sun protection.

Then she handed me the tubes she uses:
First layer is "Neutrogena anti-wrinkle deep wrinkle daily moisturizer with sunscreen", SPF 20.
Second layer is "Neutrogena healthy skin enhancer", SPF 20. It also has retinol, and has "sheer tint".

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would look into using BB Cremes, which are generally some combination of moisturizer, color correction (tint), anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish, and sunscreen. I think they are perfect for skiing cause it's just one layer of goop and stays on all day. Sometimes I splurge on the Smashbox Camera Ready BB Creme because it comes in one of the highest SPFs out there. It's a little thicker than traditional liquid foundation, but you get hang of it eventually. For everyday I use the Maybelline or the Oil of Olay versions, which are wallet-friendly but don't come in as high of SPFs.

mustski

Angel Diva
I only use moisturizer with sunscreen in it for this reason. ^^^ Truthfully, I'm an Irish gal, living in SoCal, and I find that if I apply it midday - a 20spf does the trick just fine. In summer, I have to add a make up foundation to get the extra protection if I am going to be out all day.

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
I have this issue ... cannot find a sunscreen that doesn't make me break out. A friend swears by this powdered sunblock, but I haven't tried it yet. Plan to as soon as spring rolls around.
I would look into using BB Cremes, which are generally some combination of moisturizer, color correction (tint), anti-wrinkle, anti-blemish, and sunscreen.

Thanks for the responses! These products seem like what I am looking for. I will probably try the sunforgettable first because it has a higher SPF and seems a bit lighter and easy to reapply in the lodge restroom. But I like the idea of "camera ready" so I may just try them both and come back with a review in a few weeks.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
Best thing I ever did was get rid of all the chemical laden products and use OIL on my skin.

I traditionally had combination skin- oily in the T-zone dry everywhere else. About two years ago, I read about something called The Oil Control Method. Now I don't go quite so far as that, but I use just jojoba oil to moisturize. Its chemical structure is very similar to the natural sebum your skin produces. The problem with most cleansing routines is that they STRIP AWAY the moisture your skin produces and then upset it's balance with a bunch of harsh chemicals. The skin then goes overtime in producing sebum to replace what's stripped away. But if your don't strip it away in the first place, your skin will adjust and decrease the amount of oil it produces.

I wash my with just plain water now, every 3-4 days. I use a witch hazel toner, then follow with a pumpkin seed oil face serum and either organic jojoba oil or shea butter & olive oil based moisturizer. (I use a line of products from Primal Life Organics). I also use an all natural makeup from Faerie Organic and their foundation mineral powder is AMAZING. It has titanium dioxide in it for natural sunscreen. My skin has been some much healthier, clear and brighter since instituting this regime. I got a lot of compliments on my skin, particularly after I instituted the changes. Now everyone just takes for granted my clear skin :-)

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am an adult with VERY acne prone skin, and no matter what I do other than take antibiotics, teenager-like skin is my reality. I do use a BB cream when I ski, and re-apply after. Doesn't have the best longevity but does the job without heavy foundation. I do still make up rub off on my collar- drives me nuts- but it's that or go bare skin which I wont do. My BB has spf which I also like. I wish there was a 'sport' BB cream that was sweatproof and/or water resistant. Haven't found such a thing yet.

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, dumb question... Why don't we go on the slopes without makeup?

I don't only because I'm allergic to makeup. Respiratory problems. Headache. Blurry vision. Irritability. Etc. Worth the trouble on special occasions, not so good on steeps. I would if I could. But, why? It seems like one place where it ought to not matter!

I mean, I do match my underwear to my top and all, but... :becky:

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
I wash my with just plain water now, every 3-4 days. I use a witch hazel toner, then follow with a pumpkin seed oil face serum and either organic jojoba oil or shea butter & olive oil based moisturizer
I agree with your chemical stance and admire your naturalism; I really try to minimize chemicals in my diet, skin etc., but I'm not sure washing with plain water every 3-4 days is realistic for me. How do you clean off your daily makeup, or do you not wear any?

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
So, dumb question... Why don't we go on the slopes without makeup?

Last weekend I had a day of skiing with just me and my son and I didn't wear any makeup-I didn't think twice about it. But usually, almost always, I am skiing with my husband too and I always try to look as good as possible for him (within reason) even though we've been married for almost 15 years and he knows very well what I look like at my best, worst, and in between. He has never said one word about makeup, looking rough, pretty, or anything but I try for him. Nobody else, really. I guess it should just be me, but he is me and I am him.

ZealouslyB

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't want to judge others' situations, but from my POV it's easy to go bare skin when your normal skin is more or less even toned, clear, etc. For me, it's not 'normal' no matter what I do- natural, chemical, nothing at all. It's a genetic thing, only antibiotics stops it. So, unless I want to look like a grubby teen who doesn't have basic hygiene or stay on antibiotics full time, au naturale is out for me. I'm just not comfortable with that at my age.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also have uneven skin with red blotches that's dry, prone to sunburn, and has a tendency to break out and do other fun stuff if I don't take care of it. In other words, skiing does a real number on my skin.

My skin care routine for skiing is to first apply a rich moisturizer (Nuxe Reve du Miel) as a base. On top of that I apply a tinted liquid mineral sunscreen (Physicians Formula Sun Shield SPF 25). The tint in the sunscreen helps me even out my complexion, and I usually just stop at that, since anything more would just get smudged by my goggles and neck warmer anyway. Though if I'm doing anything significant for apres-ski, I'll wash up and put on some makeup.

DeweySki

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wear a full face of makeup when I ski, and even though some of my girlfriends make fun of me for it I think it's worth the extra 7 minutes in the morning. I think there's something to be said about the routine of it all too. Some people meditate in the morning--I put on makeup. When I look better I FEEL better, which contributes to my overall confidence for the day, whether it's skiing or just going to work. Starting a day on the slopes with confidence is important!

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'll just add this about sun protection: The type of sunscreen you choose determines which layer in your routine it should be.

Chemical sunscreens are the most commonly used ones. They contain active ingredients such as Oxybenzone, Mexoryl, Avobenzone, etc. They work by being absorbed into the skin and absorbing UV rays so that they don't damage your skin. Therefore, these should be your base layer, worn under other layers of makeup.

Physical suncreens are also referred to as mineral suncreens; they're the ones containing active ingredients Titanium Dioxide and/or Zinc Oxide. They come in both liquid and powder formulations (though the powders don't usually offer enough coverage on their own and should be worn as supplementary sunscreen, not as your main form of sun protection). As their name suggests, they work by forming a physical blocking layer in between you and the sun. If you choose a physical sunscreen, it should therefore be your top layer, worn over any base layers.

If you want to reapply sunscreen during the day -- which you should do every couple of hours -- a physical blocker is best if you're wearing other makeup underneath. I carry a little bit of mineral powder for my nose to reapply at lunchtime, just in case.

Just something to consider for your skincare routine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly