• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shallow makeup question

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Take care -- skin cancer ain't no joke!

I suspect my cancer came from sunburns I got as a young person, no sunscreens back then, and dermo says treatments I had for acne in the early 70's contributed to the disease.

Thank you for the reminder to take cancer risk seriously. I tend to be lax about sun block because I don't burn easily, but I have had my share of burns, and no one is immune!

By the way, @Little Lightning, your member number is 92?! Mine is like 5746. That makes you, like, a founding member!

Fluffy Kitty

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
When you click on "reply", the "quote" tag includes: "username, post: postnumber, member: membernumber"

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
So I tried a few of the different BB creams (sunscreen, foundation, and usually moisturizer) and wanted to provide some feedback...
My skin tans easily, I have naturally oily skin, and at 41 I'm conscious of needing sunscreen for wrinkle prevention. I was looking for a moisturizer/SPF/foundation all in one since layering was goopy. I wasn't looking for major sunscreen- just don't want to burn, so if you have fair skin you might want more than 20-30 SPF. All of the BB creams seemed to be pretty low SPF, compared to the sports sunscreens I usually used. I carry a tiny bit of 70 SPF cream my pocket "just in case" and I only needed to supplement once or twice on my nose on sunny spring days.

Shopping = Torture so my first attempt may have been improved by bringing a patient friend. The first one was from Sephora and was expensive- Dior Hydra Life (SPF 30) Sunscreen, Moisturizer, and Foundation, Sunny Amber color. I tried a bit in the store and it seemed OK, but at home it was obvious I was impersonating an OompaLoompa and this would not stand. Serious orangeness. Subsequent research has shown I'm not alone in finding this line to be "a bit peachy". In addition to being orange, the crap was quite greasy and my face was a shinefest all day. I'm truly sorry if you happened to be one of the unfortunate souls who had to look at me that day.

Next attempt: I stared at the choices at the much more affordable CVS and couldn't decide between two so I got both to compare:
1. Revlon Photoready BB Cream, Skin Perfector, 30 SPF, Medium color: Pretty light coverage, slightly greasy, but not as bad as the Dior. The color was nice and blended well.
2. Revlon Photoready Airbrush Effect, 20 SPF, Cool Beige color: This is my favorite- it's a bit heavier than I typically use but it doesn't appear heavy on your face and it isn't greasy. I haven't burned while using it, even during spring and even without supplemental sunscreen (but that could just be because my skin is tanned and acclimated.) When I wash my face at night I can tell there's more of this left on my face than the others.. I like that this product is offered in both cool and warm skin tones. It seems like many of the BB creams are lacking in options for skin tone and shade.
Thanks for the introduction to BB creams divas!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I've used a couple of good ones in addition to expensive ones w/ fancy packaging that probably do nothing…. the good ones:

Revisions Intellishade - (tinted moisturizer ) color somehow adapts to your skin -original or matte SPF 45 sold at dermatologists or amazon - about $48

La Roche Posay - Anthelios 50 - mineral ultra light sunscreen fluid - CVS has it sometimes - big in Europe - around $40

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
La Roche Posay has a tinted version - same thing - one tint adapts to skin… Neither of these are orange-y.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
For any Clinique fans, Super City Block SPF 40 has been reformulated and now gets a 4-star rating from Beautipedia. Clinique increased the percentages of mineral sunscreens in this product, removed irritating ingredients. Best for non-oily skin. I set with light dusting of powder. Although I rarely am without practically full face covering until April, it’s on anyway.

https://www.paulaschoice.com/beauty...ee-daily-face-protector-broad-spectrum-40-spf

VickiK

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Last year I had a problem with painful and awkward eczema flare-ups on my face, and finally, finally got to the root of the problem, namely Merle Norman creams. I went through so much dealing with it, and ironically it was the most obvious cause of all. Now I mix moisturizers, like Sebamed or the good-but-heavy Regenerist cream, with aloe vera gel. My skin seems to like it. I also rotate in a hyaluronic acid product called Tu'El and a vitamin C serum. I heard that the Tu'El was used by Iditarod competitors and so it accompanies me on my ski trips.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You guys would hate my morning ski routine. I get up, put my contact lenses in, get dressed, eat breakfast and head out for the slopes. No shower, no makeup. What's the point? I'm just going to be a smelly mess in a couple hours anyway.

Lori is me, minus the contacts. And I eat breakfast on the road (DH usually drives and I'm never hungry first thing in the morning). I don't wear makeup most of the time, so I'm not going to wear it while skiing. And my skin is not great - blotchy, prone to the occasional breakout (although it's much better since I did a round of Accutane several years ago). I'm militant about sunscreen though. SPF 70 when I ski, usually re-applied at least once. I watched melanoma kill my BIL, so I don't mess around with that.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
For any Clinique fans, Super City Block SPF 40 has been reformulated and now gets a 4-star rating from Beautipedia. Clinique increased the percentages of mineral sunscreens in this product, removed irritating ingredients. Best for non-oily skin. I set with light dusting of powder. Although I rarely am without practically full face covering until April, it’s on anyway.

https://www.paulaschoice.com/beauty...ee-daily-face-protector-broad-spectrum-40-spf
This is good to know because the City Block with SPF from many years ago used to be good… Then they discontinued the formula. It was sheer with some tint - kind of a bronzer, but not obvious.

heather matthews

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Apart from sunscreen(SPF 50) then I ski without makeup,Plus I often wear a facemask when its cold.Here in New Zealand the sun can be awfully fierce and we have high rates of melanoma so its sensible to cover up.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly