• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Shallow makeup question

mustski

Angel Diva
I ski au natural mainly because the make up ends up rubbing off on my jacket collar. Eye make up is out of the question because my eyes water easily and I usually prefer skiing with RX sunglasses so not enough wind blocking. Tinted moisturizer with a sunscreen is a life saver that keeps me from starting my day out looking like I have one foot in the grave. By the end of the day, just being outside all day has given my skin some healthy glow.

Gloria

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I agree with your chemical stance and admire your naturalism; I really try to minimize chemicals in my diet, skin etc., but I'm not sure washing with plain water every 3-4 days is realistic for me. How do you clean off your daily makeup, or do you not wear any?
I clean my skin with honey and use olive oil to take make-up off. I can't use most over the counter stuff as it makes my eyes burn and water.
https://www.thehappyskindiary.com/treatments/honey-cleanser-for-healthy-and-smooth-skin/

I keep meaning to try apple cider vinegar too. It has similiar properties to honey. I sometimes use olive oil as a moisturizer when I have spent alot of time in the sun supposedly prevents skin cancer due to the high amount of vitamin E but I don't know if that is true or not. I also only use mineral sunscreens. Oxybenzene is supposedly really bad for you and the ones with urea or uric acid turn the skin around my eyes red, no matter how careful I am to keep it away from there it always seems to get in my eyes.

altagirl

Staff member
I use a mixture of coconut and sesame oil, but it's the same thing and does a fantastic job of removing makeup. Most cleansers make me break out. And any chemical sunscreens make me feel like I have a sunburn before I set foot outside. Kind of defeats the purpose...

Lori_K

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To those ladies with ongoing acne issues, you may want to check your diet for foods causing allergies or other inflammation. https://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-advice-for-acne-sufferers/#axzz3LQYRC6kS

You guys would hate my morning ski routine. I get up, put my contact lenses in, get dressed, eat breakfast and head out for the slopes. No shower, no makeup. What's the point? I'm just going to be a smelly mess in a couple hours anyway. :eek: My typical ski day often consists of hiking for some fresh snow, skiing bumps, and generally getting a good workout. I usually end up sweating and have helmet hair, so apres ski consists of a comb, a hat, and then a glass of wine. :smile:

If I'm out of town on a ski vacation, I will go back to the hotel/condo afterwards and shower and put makeup on for a nice dinner out.

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
I agree with your chemical stance and admire your naturalism; I really try to minimize chemicals in my diet, skin etc., but I'm not sure washing with plain water every 3-4 days is realistic for me. How do you clean off your daily makeup, or do you not wear any?

Honestly, I don't clean it off, except when I wash it off every few days. The Faerie Organic stuff is that good. I just touch it up in between, but often don't have to do that much.

Blondeinabmw

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I may've posted about this sometime last season. I have VERY acne-prone skin. I'm super fair, oily and get very bad windburn when I ski. Conventional sunscreens weren't working. Last season, I found a recipe that works for me:
Moisturizer: Korres Greek Yoghurt moisturizer (available at Sephora) mixed with 3 drops of Josie Maran Light Argan Oil (the oil really does work to help control oily skin!)
Let that sink in for a few minutes...
Then, I layer over a thin coat of Dermatone No-Touch Spf 50 Sunscreen STICK. Not the one in the tin! https://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductD...lBcCk8_zKIY7K9mGVMiIFcOhzw3vIoQxxMhoCtq_w_wcB
The Dermatone is water-free, so it protects me from windburn and kinda seals in all that moisturizer.

I'm also a moderate makeup wearer on the slopes. I have blonde eyelashes and feel like I look like a tired child, but old, without anything on my eyes, so I tend to wear a neutral shadow, liner and mascara. I go easy on concealer because it just ends up in the goggle foam anyway. I typically just spot conceal any obvious blemishes with a tiny dot of Urban Decay eyeshadow primer, patted into my skin - I know, but it is awesome and stuff doesn't move! Over that, I layer whatever concealer and dust everything with the thinnest layer of loose powder, just to mattify the shine and set everything. For apres, I've been known to bring some Burts Bees tinted lip balm in Dahlia in my jacket pocket and dot that on my cheeks too, and maybe an inexpensive stick concealer (Cover Girl makes one that comes in a lipstick tube that I adore!).

climbingbetty

Angel Diva
To those ladies with ongoing acne issues, you may want to check your diet for foods causing allergies or other inflammation. https://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-advice-for-acne-sufferers/#axzz3LQYRC6kS

You guys would hate my morning ski routine. I get up, put my contact lenses in, get dressed, eat breakfast and head out for the slopes. No shower, no makeup. What's the point? I'm just going to be a smelly mess in a couple hours anyway. :eek: My typical ski day often consists of hiking for some fresh snow, skiing bumps, and generally getting a good workout. I usually end up sweating and have helmet hair, so apres ski consists of a comb, a hat, and then a glass of wine. :smile:

If I'm out of town on a ski vacation, I will go back to the hotel/condo afterwards and shower and put makeup on for a nice dinner out.

Hehe- I'm with you. I am rocking some AWESOME bed head/helmet hair right now. Maybe it's because I'm married and don't have to impress anyone anymore. Though I was never much of a hair/make-up kinda gal to begin with. I'm more the 'what ya see is whatcha get' kinda chick. But that's why I have been collecting cute Skida hats in case for some reason I need to look cute, because there is no hope for the hair after the helmet. I alway have a fun selection of trucker hats for the same purpose!

SheSki

Certified Ski Diva
(the oil really does work to help control oily skin!)

I think that's turned into the theme with several of you and I had never considered coating my skin with oil to help control oil before. Thanks very much for all of the suggestions and I'm looking forward to trying many of them!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
https://www.colorescience.com/category/sunforgettable

I have this issue ... cannot find a sunscreen that doesn't make me break out. A friend swears by this powdered sunblock, but I haven't tried it yet. Plan to as soon as spring rolls around.
My dermatologist recommends and sells this. In Oct. I had surgery for skin cancer on the side of my nose. At least for this ski season when I'm in the sun I'm going to need to use a good sunblock and a concealer to hide the scar. I need to reapply the sunscreen every 2 hours but can't figure out how to put sunscreen over makeup. I've looked at other brands of makeup but keep coming back to the Colorscience Sunforgettable.

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My skin is usually quite good but sometimes it can look a bit trashed after a week or 2 of skiing. I use Skinceuticals CE Ferulic as a serum under my sunscreen and it makes a massive difference. It is $$$$$ but I buy little trial vials from Ebay, one lasts me around a month. It is one of the few things I have ever tried that has made a noticable difference to my skin.

mustski

Angel Diva
@SheSki, so this turned out not to be such a shallow question after all! Just as complex as the kinesiology of carving, perhaps more complicated because of different individual needs and solutions!
Absolutely true. As much time as we spend exposed to the elements, skincare is actually a pretty big topic.

My skin is usually quite good but sometimes it can look a bit trashed after a week or 2 of skiing. I use Skinceuticals CE Ferulic as a serum under my sunscreen and it makes a massive difference. It is $$$$$ but I buy little trial vials from Ebay, one lasts me around a month. It is one of the few things I have ever tried that has made a noticable difference to my skin.
I need to try that. It sounds good.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only time my skin has been relatively clear and zit free since I hit puberty was when I was on the pill for 5 years and when I was gluten-free but off the pill. I'm another person who at least puts on my tinted moisturizer and concealer before hitting the slopes. Clearly I've got something hormonal or dietary going on, or both, that causes my acne.

I have had pretty good luck with Paula's Choice products in the last year (use an exfoliating solution for the zits, and a ultralight antioxidant serum and vit C booster that I add to the serum for aging). Hasn't gotten rid of the zits like the pill or gluten-free did, but it has helped with zits some and my skin tone is much more even (minus the few zits and zit scars). Skin is also way less oily. I find her acne products don't strip my skin of all moisture and over-dry it like other products I've used in the past.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you had skin cancer and need to be extra careful about sunblock, I really, REALLY urge you not to use a powder sunscreen as your main source of sun protection. The reality is that most of the mineral powders don't offer that good coverage in the amounts of them that people generally use.

Either look for a concealer that has a built-in chemical sunscreen and reapply it as often as needed. Or, if you prefer, put the concealer on first, and then use some liquid mineral sunscreen on top, and reapply *that* every two hours.

Take care -- skin cancer ain't no joke!

My dermatologist recommends and sells this. In Oct. I had surgery for skin cancer on the side of my nose. At least for this ski season when I'm in the sun I'm going to need to use a good sunblock and a concealer to hide the scar. I need to reapply the sunscreen every 2 hours but can't figure out how to put sunscreen over makeup. I've looked at other brands of makeup but keep coming back to the Colorscience Sunforgettable.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you had skin cancer and need to be extra careful about sunblock, I really, REALLY urge you not to use a powder sunscreen as your main source of sun protection. The reality is that most of the mineral powders don't offer that good coverage in the amounts of them that people generally use.

Either look for a concealer that has a built-in chemical sunscreen and reapply it as often as needed. Or, if you prefer, put the concealer on first, and then use some liquid mineral sunscreen on top, and reapply *that* every two hours.

Take care -- skin cancer ain't no joke!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for your advice on how to handle this situation. I always wear sunscreen, even on cloudy days. I suspect my cancer came from sunburns I got as a young person, no sunscreens back then, and dermo says treatments I had for acne in the early 70's contributed to the disease. Currently, a band aid is my method of protection but when the incision heals completely I will be using a product called BioCorneum which is a silicon gel with an SPF of 30. This product helps to reduce scarring. However, they also recommend a good sunblock and concealer to cover the scar. The Colorscience would be a reapplication.

My problem is the reapplication while I'm skiing. I need a product I can carry in my pocket and won't disturb the concealer. I understand the Colorscience comes in a brush in a tube which is advertised as portable. Not sure how small it is though.

Paula's Choice website has reviews of hundreds of products and it's very rare that she recommends using any makeup with an SPF as the main source of protection.

My cancer was Basal Cell Carcinoma. I had MOHS surgery and the Dermo is confident that it has all been removed. There is a chance it will reoccur.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna