• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Self Arrest Techniques?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Here's a better picture of Slim Slidell at Taos. He was brought out after the Kachina Lift opened on Feb. 3, 2023. One person I rode up with who was a first-timer didn't realize it wasn't a real person at first.

On a Sunday morning, while riding up Lift 2 I saw a group of tweens that looked like they were playing in the snow. Watching more carefully, I realized that the kids had on Taos Winter Sports jackets. It became clear that they were practicing self-arrest. The coach had them take off the skis a certain distance up a steep open slope that still had deep snow where they weren't in the way. Idea was to climb up, stand up, and deliberately lean back and fall in order to practice getting feet below, on stomach, and coming to a stop. The coach was standing in the midst of the kids yelling encouragement and instructions. The untracked snow provided relatively soft landings and the kids didn't slide that far before coming to a stop.

Top of Lift 2
TSV Slim Slidell Feb2023 - 1.jpeg

Smaller sign:

STEEP SLOPES ARE
SLIPPERY
SKI WITH CAUTION

Main sign:

SLIM SLIDELL SAYS:
"KNOW HOW TO SELF ARREST!"
1. FEET DOWNHILL
2. DIG IN WITH HANDS AND FEET
3. STOP YOURSELF BEFORE
"YOU CAN'T!"

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Here's a better picture of Slim Slidell at Taos. He was brought out after the Kachina Lift opened on Feb. 3, 2023. One person I rode up with who was a first-timer didn't realize it wasn't a real person at first.

On a Sunday morning, while riding up Lift 2 I saw a group of tweens that looked like they were playing in the snow. Watching more carefully, I realized that the kids had on Taos Winter Sports jackets. It became clear that they were practicing self-arrest. The coach had them take off the skis a certain distance up a steep open slope that still had deep snow where they weren't in the way. Idea was to climb up, stand up, and deliberately lean back and fall in order to practice getting feet below, on stomach, and coming to a stop. The coach was standing in the midst of the kids yelling encouragement and instructions. The untracked snow provided relatively soft landings and the kids didn't slide that far before coming to a stop.

Top of Lift 2
TSV Slim Slidell Feb2023 - 1.jpeg

Smaller sign:

STEEP SLOPES ARE
SLIPPERY
SKI WITH CAUTION

Main sign:

SLIM SLIDELL SAYS:
"KNOW HOW TO SELF ARREST!"
1. FEET DOWNHILL
2. DIG IN WITH HANDS AND FEET
3. STOP YOURSELF BEFORE
"YOU CAN'T!"
I saw a similar thing a few years ago whilst riding the lift, a whole bunch of kids rolling around on a steep face in deep snow .... turned out it was my son and the rest of his Freeride team practising self arresting xx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna