• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Seasonal ski rentals?

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I’m thinking about buying a property with an in-law apartment and I’d like to rent it out until my mom in law is ready to move in. I’m considering AirBnB but I also like the lower-turnover appeal of renting it out seasonally. I’m totally clueless when it comes to seasonal ski rentals and had some questions..

- How do renters normally find one?
- When do they start looking?
- What is a reasonable price per bed? I can imagine it‘s location/amenity dependent?
- How close or far are people normally willing to drive to the resort?

Thanks so much for any insight!!!

MissySki

Angel Diva
What resorts will you be near out of curiosity? I’m at SR next season, but I am interested in potentially doing a season at MRG in the future..

As for your questions above:

1) I have found my seasonal rentals through Craigslist and renting through friends of friends etc. However, I have also tried to look through local realtors that list seasonal rentals and SR in particular has a community forum where people list stuff.

2) I always start looking before the previous season ends. I signed next year’s lease in mid March, but I think it’s common for people to be doing it now and over the summer as well.

3) I think a big part of price is size and distance to resort. For example, a 1 bedroom condo I rented off mountain, but on the access road was around $6k plus utilities a few years ago, and then I rented a 3 bedroom house with people 20 mins from the mountain that was 11k plus utilities etc. A 1 bedroom on mountain is 9k-11.5k right now depending if it is a private rental or goes through a rental company, etc. So it can vary a lot. That is Maine, not sure if Vermont is higher some places due to the NYC crowd? You could probably look up nearby listings now to see what the going rates look like in the area.

4) I’ve done 20 mins away and would not go much further than that, but that was really doable. Next season I am on mountain, and that will probably ruin me for off mountain lol. But my rationale is that I’m already driving 4 hours each way every weekend to be there, I don’t want to spend too much more time driving to and from the mountain.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Thanks for the input - all of your points totally make sense to me! We would be under 30 minutes from MRG. Since we aren’t moving until August, I guess this means we might miss the boat for seasonal rental next season, but all good to know. The in-law apartment is only 1 bedroom so I wasn’t thinking of charging a ton - just wanted some help with property taxes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Thanks for the input - all of your points totally make sense to me! We would be under 30 minutes from MRG. Since we aren’t moving until August, I guess this means we might miss the boat for seasonal rental next season, but all good to know. The in-law apartment is only 1 bedroom so I wasn’t thinking of charging a ton - just wanted some help with property taxes.

I should also mention that I start looking very early every year because pet friendly can be really hard to find, so doesn’t mean necessarily that you missed the boat for other people in August, that’s still well before the season starts!

Ohhhh will definitely keep in mind for MRG location in the future!! :thumbsup:

WaterGirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@ilovepugs
- How do renters normally find one? Local Property management, local paper, local real estate agents **SKI TEAM** secret list of rentals. Not sure if mountain employees or ski team families would want to be that far out? Any local hospitals or other services nearby college, etc. where a nurse/ student/ professor etc would want to rent your unit?

- When do they start looking? JUNE! to lock in the best - maybe September / October

- What is a reasonable price per bed? I can imagine it‘s location/amenity dependent? This is usually monthly, depending on lease term - 5-7 mos the shorter the lease the higher the monthly rent. Furnished or Unfurnished? You'll need to compare to what is currently being offered.

- How close or far are people normally willing to drive to the resort? as @MissySki stated if your driving a long way, probably want to be closer unless its a deal.

Is your 1 bedroom an attached unit? how "CLOSE" will you be with your "Renter"? The in and out of AirBnB may be more wear and tear than a year long renter, plus the added cleaning etc between tenants.

Jilly

Staff member
So, you don't take over till later this summer. Approach the hill management. There are always employees looking for rentals.

We have found all of our rentals over the years through word of mouth. I usually lock in next year now! But that is me. I want to know that everything is set and ready to go. I have a 1 bedroom with a mezzanine on the hill at Tremblant. I'm paying way below the average price for the unit. It's more like $12,000 for the season. I think that included cable and internet. I have to provide that where I am.

mustski

Angel Diva
We have had our house on a short term rental program for almost a year now. We have used a management company so, for us, it has been relatively painless. If I was doing a short term rental myself, I would want to be absolutely sure that I had at least 2 cleaning companies to work with. Although the tenants pay the cleaning fee, I know friends have encountered issues with cleaning crews being available during the busy weekends, etc. Seasonal rentals pretty much avoid all those headaches.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
Wow, thanks so much for the advice everyone!! Lots to consider. We have a couple of options or ideas for what to do with the in-law space... the seasonal rental thing is definitely worth thinking about, but maybe not ideal considering the drive times to the nearest resorts.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds like you’ve got plenty of info already, but in Colorado I’ve paid from
$150/person/month to $350/person/month, depending on size / quality / location. I’ve found stuff via FB groups and Craigslist, and I’d say I’ve usually signed leases around September.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
There are some ski areas that are offering the owners of rental properties a free season pass if they rent to a ski area employee. One of the creative solutions to the housing crunch impacting seasonal employees that has just gotten worse since AirBnB came along. Whatever mountain is closest to you, you should approach them with that idea. Sugarbush offers it: https://www.sugarbush.com/discover/...ndlords-to-provide-affordable-housing-080718/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly