• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Seasonal Programs in the Northeast

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
Hi, Divas!

I'm looking for feedback on seasonal programs for children. I have a 5 and 7 yo, so next season they will be 6 and 8. This year we had the Max Pass and skied all over New England--kids skied about 26 days. Their progression this season has been wonderful, and despite my best intentions, they didn't have lessons. They can ski anything I can, and more, and I'm really at a loss for what to do next year. Both can ski blue and black trails, with the older one exploring a few double blacks with her dad. Here's the dilemma--I can either grab IKON tomorrow before the kids' rates go up and have a repeat of this year, i.e. hunting for lodging deals and gambling with the weather, or picking one place to call "home" and have the kids enroll in a seasonal gig. My husband and I are thinking that the logical next step is for them to have a mountain that they are really comfortable on and one where they can have a regular instructor. The big question is where? We are used to variety so I'm a little nervous that going to the same place each weekend might be tough for me, but I am definitely willing to try so that the kids can really progress. Does anyone have a New England Mountain that they love for seasonal programs? I've been looking at winter condo rentals.

In the running: Killington because it's big and there seems to be plenty of rental property, Bretton Woods because the children's programs have solid reviews (I've never skied there, myself), and other than that--I'm fairly open. We live in Eastern Massachusetts.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Jilly

Staff member
I really love my seasonal rental. You can leave your stuff there and not have to lug it all home each weekend. Also I think it's a great idea for a seasonal program. Your kids will meet others that ski and develop a group of friends to ski with. Because as they get older, they won't want to ski with Mom and Dad.

I have no idea of resorts as I'm on the other side of the border. I would think K-ton would be a zoo at holiday time and just about any weekend. But that is our life here in the east.

Last edited:

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I can understand your wanting to go to different mountains all the time, but I think there's a lot to be said -- especially for your kids -- for having a home mountain. It'll give them more of an opportunity to establish relationships with other kids and instructors, and as Jilly pointed out, that's not a bad thing. Plus there's a level of comfort that can make them more confident skiers.

I ski at one mountain a lot, and yes, it can get a bit boring, so I try to mix it up some throughout the year and go to different places, too. That said, because I'm there so much, I have friends, and that can make it a lot of fun. It's one of the benefits of having a home base. You become part of a community, and that's nice.

For you, I think the trick is choosing a mountain that has enough variety to make it interesting. I agree with Jilly -- Killington fills the bill, but it can be a zoo on weekends and holidays (but that's the case with most places in the east). And Bretton Woods may have a good kids program, but I don't think, personally, I'd want to ski there all the time. It's a nice mountain, but it's not that big and/or challenging (though that might make it great for kids). Then again, it's close enough to a number of other places (Attitash, Cannon, Wildcat), so you could get some variety if you got bored.

I wish I knew more about kids programs to be helpful. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Have you checked out Sunday River?

Last edited:

Tvan

Angel Diva
I don't have first hand knowledge, but I've heard very good things about the kids program at Smuggler's Notch.

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
I really love my seasonal rental. You can leave your stuff there and not have to luge it all home each weekend. Also I think it's a great idea for a seasonal program. Your kids will meet others that ski and develop a group of friends to ski with. Because as they get older, they won't want to ski with Mom and Dad.

I have no idea of resorts as I'm on the other side of the border. I would think K-ton would be a zoo at holiday time and just about any weekend. But that is our life here in the east.

Thanks, Jilly--you are saying what I think I need to hear! Lugging our gear each weekend started to wear on me and the food planning was tough. Stocking a fridge with some condiments and not worrying if I forget to pack mustard will alleviate a big part of the traveling. Now to decide on the best mountain! K-ton will def be busy, but I'm thinking that is probably unavoidable...

How long have you gone the seasonal route? Anything I should be aware of as I start to look? Washing machine and dryer seems like a non-negotiable right now to me.

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
I can understand your wanting to go to different mountains all the time, but I think there's a lot to be said -- especially for your kids -- for having a home mountain. It'll give them more of an opportunity to establish relationships with other kids and instructors, and as Jilly pointed out, that's not a bad thing. Plus there's a level of comfort that can make them more confident skiers.

I ski at one mountain a lot, and yes, it can get a bit boring, so I try to mix it up some throughout the year and go to different places, too. That said, because I'm there so much, I have friends, and that can make it a lot of fun. It's one of the benefits of having a home base. You become part of a community, and that's nice.

For you, I think the trick is choosing a mountain that has enough variety to make it interesting. I agree with Jilly -- Killington fills the bill, but it can be a zoo on weekends and holidays (but that's the case with most places in the east). And Bretton Woods may have a good kids program, but I don't think, personally, I'd want to ski there all the time. It's a nice mountain, but it's not that big and/or challenging (though that might make it great for kids). Then again, it's close enough to a number of other places (Attitash, Cannon, Wildcat), so you could get some variety if you got bored.

I wish I knew more about kids programs to be helpful. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Have you checked out Sunday River?

Thank you for your thoughts! I know my kids would love to have some ski friends--me, too, actually! I did notice how much better they both skied when we were at a mountain they felt a little familiar with. We went to Sunapee a bunch and because they have done every trail there, they skied with confidence and had so much fun. It takes the stress of getting lost or not knowing what's around a corner out of the equation. They are already processing so much information that it really helped them practice getting on their edges and staying in control with increased speed.

I love Sunday River! I stopped considering it though because I missed the flash sale for their passes, so K-ton is a better deal financially. They remind me of each other in a way because they are both big and have plenty of spots I haven't explored yet.

I was worried about Bretton--never having skied there I don't think I could have picked it sight unseen. At least with K-ton, I have been twice and had a great time. Pico was great, too. My kids really liked it there so that might be enough of a variety if we need a break.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have 3 kids (9, 7, and 4) who prefer to ski with us rather than be in seasonal programs, but we ask them every year. We have a place just north of Franconia, and ski mostly Cannon and Bretton Woods. For us, we need both mountains to make the season work. Cannon is an awesome mountain, but it can be windy and icy, so when the conditions stink, we go to Bretton Woods. Bretton Woods has great glades, and are almost never on wind hold, and their grooming is top notch, but aside from the glades it's not a challenging mountain, and at 3-years-old my youngest could ski all the groomed trails. Also, BW can get really busy on Saturdays, so we try to do those at Cannon whenever reasonable. Basically, I don't think either of those options are great when they are the only mountain.

We have friends who left the race program at Bretton Woods for Stowe, and they are very happy there. They are on the Epic pass, so that enables them to take trips out west on their pass as well.

If you want something closer, you could consider Loon. I don't have much experience with the mountain, but it's easy to get to and the pass is good at both Sunday River and Sugarloaf as well.

Jilly

Staff member
Thanks, Jilly--you are saying what I think I need to hear! Lugging our gear each weekend started to wear on me and the food planning was tough. Stocking a fridge with some condiments and not worrying if I forget to pack mustard will alleviate a big part of the traveling. Now to decide on the best mountain! K-ton will def be busy, but I'm thinking that is probably unavoidable...

How long have you gone the seasonal route? Anything I should be aware of as I start to look? Washing machine and dryer seems like a non-negotiable right now to me.

I've been renting for 13 years now. 4 different places, but all in the same complex. Right now I'm in the throes of moving stuff home. Love it and don't know if I could go back to using a car.

Washer/dryer would be nice. That's the one thing lacking.

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
I have 3 kids (9, 7, and 4) who prefer to ski with us rather than be in seasonal programs, but we ask them every year. We have a place just north of Franconia, and ski mostly Cannon and Bretton Woods. For us, we need both mountains to make the season work. Cannon is an awesome mountain, but it can be windy and icy, so when the conditions stink, we go to Bretton Woods. Bretton Woods has great glades, and are almost never on wind hold, and their grooming is top notch, but aside from the glades it's not a challenging mountain, and at 3-years-old my youngest could ski all the groomed trails. Also, BW can get really busy on Saturdays, so we try to do those at Cannon whenever reasonable. Basically, I don't think either of those options are great when they are the only mountain.

We have friends who left the race program at Bretton Woods for Stowe, and they are very happy there. They are on the Epic pass, so that enables them to take trips out west on their pass as well.

If you want something closer, you could consider Loon. I don't have much experience with the mountain, but it's easy to get to and the pass is good at both Sunday River and Sugarloaf as well.

I like Loon--but it gets so crowded because of how easy it is to get to! I've never been to Stowe or Cannon before. The Max Pass was great, but it prevented me from skiing anywhere that wasn't on it. Thanks for your feedback on Bretton--I want to be sure that we are happy all season and I don't think we would be at Bretton if there's not much challenge.

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
I don't have first hand knowledge, but I've heard very good things about the kids program at Smuggler's Notch.
I've never skied there--would like to check it out but it wasn't on the Max Pass! A friend of mine was just there for Easter weekend and said it was a lot of fun, though.

newboots

Angel Diva
I just posted at length about Killington on another thread (called something like Help Choosing a Mountain) about the pluses of Killington. Sometimes on holidays the usual areas are mobbed, but less well known sections of the mountain are quite tolerable. I like the vibe at Pico, and our usual, Bear Mountain. The ski school areas are sequestered, which is great, though it sounds like your kids are probably beyond the serious need for that.

I’ve always wanted to ski Breton Woods, but now I’m happier on steeper trails. I’ve heard that if the powder is deep, some of its trails are flat enough to get stuck on! Not so much at Killington.

ilovepugs

Angel Diva
I don’t know any of the mountains affiliated with this network of resorts except Bolton Valley, but what about one of the Freedom Pass resorts? You get a little bit of both worlds... a home hill and 3 tickets to ski areas in and outside of New England. It’s no MAX Pass, but it’s still a pretty decent deal.

Marta_P

Certified Ski Diva
I love Bretton Woods, but agree that if your kids are skiing blues and blacks already, that is probably not the mountain for you! Have you skied at Okemo? It is such a fun mountain! Not sure about their kids program, but they do seem to be highly geared toward families.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm looking for feedback on seasonal programs for children. I have a 5 and 7 yo, so next season they will be 6 and 8. This year we had the Max Pass and skied all over New England--kids skied about 26 days. Their progression this season has been wonderful, and despite my best intentions, they didn't have lessons. They can ski anything I can, and more, and I'm really at a loss for what to do next year. Both can ski blue and black trails, with the older one exploring a few double blacks with her dad. Here's the dilemma--I can either grab IKON tomorrow before the kids' rates go up and have a repeat of this year, i.e. hunting for lodging deals and gambling with the weather, or picking one place to call "home" and have the kids enroll in a seasonal gig. My husband and I are thinking that the logical next step is for them to have a mountain that they are really comfortable on and one where they can have a regular instructor. The big question is where?
Did you hold off on Ikon passes?

Are your kids likely to be interested in racing eventually? Or more free skiing all over the mountain? Some developmental teams for younger kids that lead to race teams include kids that are intermediates. Worth asking questions about how many years kids usually do a seasonal program as you narrow down your options.

I picked a home mountain that was an hour farther from our house (central NC to northern VA) because of the strength of the ski school and the lodging options that worked well for me and my daughter. After she learned at age 4-5, we explored a few local mountains for a couple seasons. Then I decided to stick with season passes at Massanutten. Made it a lot easier to plan to bring along friends or to make friends who skied there regularly. My daughter never did a seasonal program but she did ski school or a group lesson or two at the beginning of the season. Worked out pretty well.

marymack

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it was me, I'd look at Sunday river and Loon's seasonal programs. Followed by Waterville and Ragged Mountain. BW I think your kids might be beyond and I agree Killington is a zoo. Pico could be very high on the list...and Okemo.

MsWax

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If it was me, I'd look at Sunday river and Loon's seasonal programs. Followed by Waterville and Ragged Mountain. BW I think your kids might be beyond and I agree Killington is a zoo. Pico could be very high on the list...and Okemo.

I would definitely do BW over Waterville. The mountains ski very similar (in terms of level of difficulty), but BW has better snowmaking and grooming, more terrain, and fewer wind holds.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I would definitely do BW over Waterville. The mountains ski very similar (in terms of level of difficulty), but BW has better snowmaking and grooming, more terrain, and fewer wind holds.
Occurs to me that if the goal of putting young kids in a seasonal program is to improve their technique for the long run, there can be an advantage to having a home mountain that has plenty of open terrain on a consistent basis but not a lot of off-trail terrain. When there is ungroomed black terrain open, but the ski school groups are not skiing there, that's when some kids (and adults) feel like they are being denied fun time. Of course, when parents are advanced/expert skiers then that's a factor too when choosing a home mountain.

My daughter learned at a tiny hill in the Mid-Atlantic with a strong ski school from ages 4-7, with continuing 1-shot group lessons until she was 12. We were skiing there 10-15 days per season. She had solid fundamentals by the time we went to Alta for the first time when she was 7 (Level 5 of 9). Even with only 5-6 days skiing Alta during spring break ski trips (ages 9-12) after that, she was Level 8 by age 11. I was a solid intermediate when she started skiing. Had to start taking lessons to keep up, which only worked up to a point. If I'd known what I know now about Taos Ski Weeks, I would've started going to Taos sooner.

4sherms

Certified Ski Diva
Did you hold off on Ikon passes?

Are your kids likely to be interested in racing eventually? Or more free skiing all over the mountain? Some developmental teams for younger kids that lead to race teams include kids that are intermediates. Worth asking questions about how many years kids usually do a seasonal program as you narrow down your options.

I picked a home mountain that was an hour farther from our house (central NC to northern VA) because of the strength of the ski school and the lodging options that worked well for me and my daughter. After she learned at age 4-5, we explored a few local mountains for a couple seasons. Then I decided to stick with season passes at Massanutten. Made it a lot easier to plan to bring along friends or to make friends who skied there regularly. My daughter never did a seasonal program but she did ski school or a group lesson or two at the beginning of the season. Worked out pretty well.

Yes--We held off on the Ikon (even though friends of ours got it so I'm going to have FOMO!). I can see my kids possibly racing or just enjoying the mountain for fun. My older one has expressed some interest, but I'm not a seasoned skier so she'd be the guinea pig if she decides to go that route. My brother-in-law raced growing up, and he recently mentioned that racing really improves technique, so I'm open to it.

I think having the "home" mountain will be good for us as we make plans and figure out where the kids are headed.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna