• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Season Kin ski demo - so fun!!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Yesterday I did a personal demo day at a small local hill, Kissing Bridge, though that isn't my home hill. I started on a pair of Ripstick 88s which were fun (and that is what I ended up buying, actually, but people talk about those all the time so not that interesting!!)

BUT! Here's the awesome part. After I demoed the Ripsticks and geeked out about ski gear tech talk with the shop guys (thank you divas for all the knowledge you share!) they were like, "um, do you wanna try this random other ski we have? It's not even one we sell because it's small batch, but we just wanna know what you think!" So of course I said yes!

Ski was one I have not seen mentioned much or at all on the forum -- Season Kin in 175. It's an "all-mountain" twin tip, 95 mm underfoot.

I was skeptical. Very skeptical. I am anything but a freestyle skier. Middle aged mom-bod intermediate. (5'7", like 215 lbs.) But Oh. My. God. This was such a fun ski. Like the most fun I have ever had.

I was sticking to one blue hill for my demo comparisons, and by the time I got to this one it was like 45 degrees and sunny outside. Hill was wet and slushy, chunky chop. And these things were just beasts on it. Plowed right through without skipping a beat. Super stable under my feet if I opened up my speed a little (though I am no speed demon) and the instant I wanted to turn it was like they were reading my mind.

If the conditions I was in were closer to my day-to-day typical or if I had the money to burn on TWO sets of skis, I would buy these in a heartbeat. I was so sad to give them back! But a 95 mm twintip seemed imminently impractical for my tiny East Coast Rust Belt ski life. :smile:

It looks like you can only get them straight from Season or on Evo. SO FUN.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That sounds like a blast! I've definitely taken demo skis out specifically to ski less-than-usual conditions, it's a legitimate life choice and as you discovered can be amazing fun.

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
I just never dreamed that a ski that wide (and actually I looked again and this one was 97 wide!) could be so accessible and easy to ski, especially as a NOT advanced intermediate! This was a real discovery, to find so much joy from such a playful ski (and to even understand for the first time what "playful" really means!)

elemmac

Angel Diva
I just never dreamed that a ski that wide (and actually I looked again and this one was 97 wide!) could be so accessible and easy to ski, especially as a NOT advanced intermediate! This was a real discovery, to find so much joy from such a playful ski (and to even understand for the first time what "playful" really means!)
Welcome to the dark side. Next thing you know, you're going to be snowboarding. Because...why not? :becky:

But really...wide skis come in all sorts of flavors. You could try 10 skis with the same waist width, and some will float better than others, some will carve better, some are sluggish to get on edge, others effortless. The construction, turn radius, and the camber profile all add to the performance of how a ski feels. Just like people.... there's so much more than just a waist width to define them.

I can see a quiver in your future :yahoo:

Sokolva

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks for this review on these skis! I've seen only a picture or video of this brand, and never knew anything about them beyond that. Its so cool to learn more about small brands making incredible skis that are hard to find in the usual demo lineups...I'll definitely check out this company!

Knitjenious

Angel Diva
Its so cool to learn more about small brands making incredible skis that are hard to find in the usual demo lineups...
Oh yeah, that was the super fun part -- I am not even sure they were technically in the demo fleet at my tiny local hill. The three guys working there were like, "we ordered this pair so we could try them!" I will admit it was a huge boost for my confidence that they saw some spark of ski geek in me to offer them to me to demo! LOL.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly