• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Schweitzer, 2017-18

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Up here at Schweitzer, we're at 210" for the season so far (average season total is 300"). There have been a couple of rain events (the one in November was especially depressing), so mid-mountain base is at 65". All terrain is open. There are a few spots where brush is still poking through, but those are easily avoided. Off season some brush cutting was done on a few runs and that's definitely made a difference. I especially appreciate the work done on the lower part of Kathy's Yard Sale, where I spent a good amount of time a few years ago working my way out of patch of alders.

We're in another storm cycle now and I'm keeping an anxious eye on tomorrow's high, which is predicted to be 31, so close to tipping over into rain.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Up here at Schweitzer, we're at 210" for the season so far (average season total is 300").
In general, is Feb usually a better bet than Jan? Or is it even better to wait until March? Been thinking about a ski safari starting with a flight on Southwest to Spokane for a while.

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In general, is Feb usually a better bet than Jan? Or is it even better to wait until March? Been thinking about a ski safari starting with a flight on Southwest to Spokane for a while.

In last few years, January has been more reliable. Last February was outstanding, but 2016 was nothing special. Sweet spot is probably late Jan/early Feb.

newboots

Angel Diva
Meanwhile, pouring all day in Vermont. The Second January Thaw.

:cry:

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We've had 32 inches in the last three days. I'm worn out. :smile: Taking today off because a) we have more snow in the forecast and b) it's Toyota Free Ski Day here which means big crowds by Schweitzer standards.

The first foot or so of the 32 was light but then it warmed up and we got a slightly heavier layer. Lots of avalanche control work done by patrol in the bowls. Snow has seen a fair bit of traffic but still stashes around the mountain, especially if you're into trees and glades.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I always liked skiing Schweitzer as a newbie. I'd love to get back up there again one of these days. They are getting so much snow this year, unlike us in Utah!

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This latest storm cycle has passed; we're now at 263 inches for the season, with a 90 inch mid-mountain base.

That's the good news. The bad news is it's warm today, 40 degrees F in the village, though at least it's not raining. It's supposed to get colder again tomorrow so we shall see what that change brings.

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The conditions over the last week and a half have been ... let's just say variable. We've had some snow. We've had some rain. We've had some re-freezing. We've had bulletproof corduroy. We've had dust on crust. We've had flour, sugar, and corn snow. We've had days when it's been winter at the top of the mountain and spring at the lower elevations.

The good news is the base is holding up pretty well; 85 inches at mid-mountain. Season snowfall is up to 278.

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's been snowing again, hooray! 19 inches in the last three days, with another 10+ (!) in the forecast this weekend. Winds have been a bit of an issue, with no singles allowed on the quad to the summit for part of today, but the snow was so good I didn't mind the blowing.

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I decided to join DH on his Utah & Colorado trip, so missed about two weeks at Schweitzer, during which it snowed about three more feet. We had some rain mixed with snow last night, which made for some heavy/sticky conditions down low today, but still, I can't complain about 373 inches for the season and 106 inch mid-mountain base.

KarenD

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday was a surprise powder day, with 7 inches of snow overnight when the forecast was for nothing of the sort. I'll take it, even though it was a bit on the heavy side due to the temps hovering around freezing. The season closing date had already been extended a week to April 15th, so this dump doesn't help there but will help keep more things covered longer.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna