• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

SCAM ALERT

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So I'm in the process of selling my Sheeva 10s, and posted a listing on Facebook Marketplace. I was contacted by a Lucas shaw. He wanted to pay through Zelle instead of Facebook. I got a very official looking email from "zelleinfo service" saying payment pending, funds to be released once I shipped the item and updated tracking information. Shipping address was to 1878 NW 20th St, Miami, FL 33142. RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM A BARGAIN SPORTS STORE. Maybe related?? I was literally on the verge of shipping the item, but then the USPS shipping charge was a lot higher than the facebook estimate so I didn't. I went home to look up other shipping options, and that's when I checked my actual Zelle account and there were no payments pending. I contacted the guy and asked him to cancel his Zelle payment and pay through facebook. He blocked me.

In retrospect, I was very dumb and should've checked Zelle a lot sooner. But I really wasn't expecting someone to scam for skis, and it was a very official looking email. So yea, BE CAREFUL OUT THERE, YALL. It's a mean mean world...

shadoj

Angel Diva
@chasinghorizons - Way to go! So many folks don't take the time to check those little details. Thanks for reminding us to be on our toes.

These scams are becoming more sophisticated & common. It's pretty easy to spoof (i.e. insert whatever you want into) email and text message sender addresses/numbers. It's easy to buy domain names that look official, but aren't.

Always be wary when someone asks you to take a transaction "off platform" and insists on a payment type (e.g. PayPal Friends & Family, Venmo, Zelle) with little buyer protection built in. Be wary if they want to send you a check with more than the amount offered. Be wary if there are oddities in wording, grammar, and punctuation. Check your accounts via the company's official page/phone number, rather than clicking on a "plausible-looking" link sent to you.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@chasinghorizons - Way to go! So many folks don't take the time to check those little details. Thanks for reminding us to be on our toes.

These scams are becoming more sophisticated & common. It's pretty easy to spoof (i.e. insert whatever you want into) email and text message sender addresses/numbers. It's easy to buy domain names that look official, but aren't.

Always be wary when someone asks you to take a transaction "off platform" and insists on a payment type (e.g. PayPal Friends & Family, Venmo, Zelle) with little buyer protection built in. Be wary if they want to send you a check with more than the amount offered. Be wary if there are oddities in wording, grammar, and punctuation. Check your accounts via the company's official page/phone number, rather than clicking on a "plausible-looking" link sent to you.
Pretty sure another person just tried to scam me there... Michelle Ronald wanted them shipped to Tennessee and offered to pay $100 extra for rush shipping, but wanted to pay through Zelle. Small little capitalization and grammar errors in her msgs. I wonder if it's the same person? I am so surprised that ski scams are so common!

Anyway skis are now reserved for someone I know is legit :smile:

shadoj

Angel Diva
Pretty sure another person just tried to scam me there... Michelle Ronald wanted them shipped to Tennessee and offered to pay $100 extra for rush shipping, but wanted to pay through Zelle. Small little capitalization and grammar errors in her msgs. I wonder if it's the same person? I am so surprised that ski scams are so common!

Anyway skis are now reserved for someone I know is legit :smile:
Sorry you're having to deal with bots/scammers!
Crossing my fingers that the skis end up with someone on here.

These scams now are common on most buy/sell platforms. It's less about the product (skis), but the potential to scam you. Any attempts to rush your decision, send someone different to pick up/pay for the item, asking about "final price" -- be on alert.

Oddly enough, cash-in-hand, exchanged in a public place, is still one of the safer methods. Or send to a Ski Diva -- I assume Diva cheating ramifications result in snow burning under your skis forevermore! :smile:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna