• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Santa Ana 88

ncychank

Diva in Training
Hi Divas, I waited for the black pearls 88 to go on sale, but took too long to pull the trigger and all the local shops are out of the size I want. They do have the Santa Ana 88 for a really good price in my size. I haven’t tried this ski but the shop did say they are a bit stiffer than the BP88. Anybody have any feedback on these skis. I have demoed the SA 93 and quite liked how stable they were and I tried them on really rough and icy conditions. Am wondering if the 88 would be similar. Thanks in advance!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I bought the Santa Ana 93's a few years ago and loved them so much I went ahead and bought the Santa Ana 84's this year. They offer the same stability and energy, but are a bit more carvier (if that's even a word). I don't think you'll go wrong with the 88's.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep! They both have a partial sheet of metal (little more coverage on the 88s for slightly firmer conditions). Pretty much identical shape and mount point for a very similar ride.

BP88s are a little heavier and stiffer and have a little less tip rocker for a little more on-piste specialty vs versatility.

XTmom

Diva in Training
I have the SA 88s, newer version with less titanal, blue top sheet. I have skied them two seasons now and tbh I don’t love them. I would say I’m an advanced skier but for whatever reason I find the tips hard to control despite my best efforts to ski with good form. They were mounted at the suggested settings but feel too far back. I’ve been considering taking a lesson to figure out if it’s the skis or me. Would recommend demo’ing before buying.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The SA 88 and 93 ski very similarly. If you liked the 93s, you'll like the 88s. They are incredibly versatile skis.

enljummen

Diva in Training
I’ve demoed the Santa Ana 93s and 98s, as well as the Black Pearl 88s all in 22-23 model in PNW this season but on different days so the snow conditions varied. I enjoyed all of them in different ways so I bought the SA88s recently because of price and availability, and skied them a couples of times.

In terms of edge hold and stability I found the SA93s are more similar to the SA98s, and the SA88s more similar to the BP88s (meaning both of them are less stable in crud and in higher speed than the previous two). Between the two, the BP88s I demoed felt lighter and more nimble than my SA88s, slightly easier to initiate the turn on fresh corduroy.

Now I’m starting to consider how much of a role demo bindings and the mounting point played in my ski demo experience, since my SA88s with retail bindings (they were mounted at the suggest point but felt a little forward) kind of lost its magic of edge hold and dampness I enjoyed with the demo skis in the SA line.

ncychank

Diva in Training
I’ve demoed the Santa Ana 93s and 98s, as well as the Black Pearl 88s all in 22-23 model in PNW this season but on different days so the snow conditions varied. I enjoyed all of them in different ways so I bought the SA88s recently because of price and availability, and skied them a couples of times.

In terms of edge hold and stability I found the SA93s are more similar to the SA98s, and the SA88s more similar to the BP88s (meaning both of them are less stable in crud and in higher speed than the previous two). Between the two, the BP88s I demoed felt lighter and more nimble than my SA88s, slightly easier to initiate the turn on fresh corduroy.

Now I’m starting to consider how much of a role demo bindings and the mounting point played in my ski demo experience, since my SA88s with retail bindings (they were mounted at the suggest point but felt a little forward) kind of lost its magic of edge hold and dampness I enjoyed with the demo skis in the SA line.
thanks for the detailed input. I did read some comments online to mount the binding s 2cm back from the suggested mount point for the SA88

KayOss

Certified Ski Diva
Wow - good info! I too am looking at the SA 93's or 98's. Replacing my very old Nordica Conquerers for skiing here on the West Coast. While this year has been an anomaly, I'm looking for something that will float and cut through soft snow/crud instead of pulling my leg. Conditions this year have been great: Mammoth, LCC, even Arizona Snowbowl which have spoiled me! Will the SA 98's still hold on hard pack groomers (planning for next year)?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna