• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Santa Ana 88 or 93s

Christina Pham

Certified Ski Diva
Update: So from talking to skiers in different ski shops and doing research, I've found some info that might help divas decide. While it's only 5mm waist difference, the 88s are much more groomer focused and seem to carry the title of being a carving machine compared to the 93s, which would be more fun (subjectively) in the bumps and trees. Though both should be able to handle the majority of mountain conditions, the 88s have a smaller sweet spot and are less predictable. The flex pattern of the 88 is more focused for charging hardpack and the skis are quicker edge to edge. The 93s would allow for more versatility while still being able to carve a mean turn - something about tip and tails that make the ski more forgiving as well.

Hope this helps! I personally am now leaning towards the SA93s since I ski out West... though I started looking at Blizzard Sheeva 9s and might be back at square one :becky:

MissySki

Angel Diva
Update: So from talking to skiers in different ski shops and doing research, I've found some info that might help divas decide. While it's only 5mm waist difference, the 88s are much more groomer focused and seem to carry the title of being a carving machine compared to the 93s, which would be more fun (subjectively) in the bumps and trees. Though both should be able to handle the majority of mountain conditions, the 88s have a smaller sweet spot and are less predictable. The flex pattern of the 88 is more focused for charging hardpack and the skis are quicker edge to edge. The 93s would allow for more versatility while still being able to carve a mean turn - something about tip and tails that make the ski more forgiving as well.

Hope this helps! I personally am now leaning towards the SA93s since I ski out West... though I started looking at Blizzard Sheeva 9s and might be back at square one :becky:

I liked the 93 better than the 88 for the Santa Ana when demoing, and I have the Sheeva 9 as my daily driver and LOVE them!!! They are the most versatile ski I’ve ever been on! So so nimble and fun in the bumps and trees and then still very quick edge to edge on groomers. I took them to Aspen with me last year and they were great there too. Demo if you can since each ski is experienced in such a subjective way from skier to skier. If you want something that’s super fun everywhere though I don’t think you can go wrong with the 93 or the Sheeva 9!

I also still have a pair of Auras, though I haven’t skied them in several years! I really loved them for many reasons, but agree that they were very tiring especially compared to these choices.

Christina Pham

Certified Ski Diva
I liked the 93 better than the 88 for the Santa Ana when demoing, and I have the Sheeva 9 as my daily driver and LOVE them!!! They are the most versatile ski I’ve ever been on! So so nimble and fun in the bumps and trees and then still very quick edge to edge on groomers. I took them to Aspen with me last year and they were great there too. Demo if you can since each ski is experienced in such a subjective way from skier to skier. If you want something that’s super fun everywhere though I don’t think you can go wrong with the 93 or the Sheeva 9!

I also still have a pair of Auras, though I haven’t skied them in several years! I really loved them for many reasons, but agree that they were very tiring especially compared to these choices.

I agree demoing is key! Unfortunately I live 4 hours from my home mountain, so it’s hard to catch demo days. I end up renting demo skis to try sometimes, but with the trek I’d rather be there ready to go! From reviews I think the SA 93s and Sheeva 9s are incredibly similar and I’m sure they’ll both be great! Did you pick up any differences when you demoed? Even the ski shops say the flex might be slightly different but overall pretty same!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have more than 40 days skiing the SA 88s in every condition imaginable, and disagree with them greatly being mainly targeted as a carving machine OR having a smaller sweet spot. They are so versatile and easy to ski.

Christina Pham

Certified Ski Diva
I have more than 40 days skiing the SA 88s in every condition imaginable, and disagree with them greatly being mainly targeted as a carving machine OR having a smaller sweet spot. They are so versatile and easy to ski.

The only safe answer is DEMO!! Ofc my statement is purely from others so take it with a grain of salt! I heavily considered the 88s due to that quick edge to edge and honestly, it seems to be a ski that will accommodate a wide range of divas!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only safe answer is DEMO!! Ofc my statement is purely from others so take it with a grain of salt! I heavily considered the 88s due to that quick edge to edge and honestly, it seems to be a ski that will accommodate a wide range of divas!
I know, you're quoting what people who have probably never skied them or skied them once or twice are telling you. Sorry, I was in a hurry when I responded. I just disagree with them...a lot. I think the 88 is as versatile an 88 as there is available. It's also user friendly and smooth.

I still say that you should probably pick the ski with the length that works better for you for the conditions you want it for.

As for the Sheeva 9s, I also own those (am selling them, prefer the Santa Ana 88s overall) and they are a more forgiving ski than the 93s (IMO.) They are definitely not a bad option. I'm actually selling mine in a 164.

If you want to muddy the waters more, look into the Head Kore 93W. I loved that ski when testing last February and had it second to the Santa Ana 88s. I suggested them to a friend who is about the same size as you, and skis mostly in the PNW, and she absolutely loves them.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm 24, 5'3, and 125 lbs. I love going through trees and looking for fresh snow as well as blasting down groomers. Decent with moguls, but that's something I'd like to work on. Are there any distinct differences between the 88 and 93 other than width?

I know, you're quoting what people who have probably never skied them or skied them once or twice are telling you. Sorry, I was in a hurry when I responded. I just disagree with them...a lot. I think the 88 is as versatile an 88 as there is available. It's also user friendly and smooth.

I still say that you should probably pick the ski with the length that works better for you for the conditions you want it for.

As for the Sheeva 9s, I also own those (am selling them, prefer the Santa Ana 88s overall) and they are a more forgiving ski than the 93s (IMO.) They are definitely not a bad option. I'm actually selling mine in a 164.

If you want to muddy the waters more, look into the Head Kore 93W. I loved that ski when testing last February and had it second to the Santa Ana 88s. I suggested them to a friend who is about the same size as you, and skis mostly in the PNW, and she absolutely loves them.
I can't really add much more than this for solid information.
As someone else who's also skied all of the skis you're considering, the Santa Ana 88 is extremely versatile, in fact, I skied laps in Drop Out and Wipe Out Chutes at Mammoth in the spring with the SA 88, and skied it in 28" of deep powder at Big Sky with total confidence and a giant grin on my face.

The length available is going to make a bigger difference in this particular ski than the few mm in the waist.

Following this thread with interest, as I am trying to make the same decision!
We need to know more info about where you're skiing and what you're looking to get out of your new skis.

:becky:
I've kept it on the DL!
It wasn't that low :wink:

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We need to know more info about where you're skiing and what you're looking to get out of your new skis.

I'm skiing mostly Grand Targhee and occasionally Jackson Hole and other Rocky Mountain West resorts. I already have skis for powder/bumps/crud, so these would be my skis for firmer snow/groomer days when it hasn't snowed in awhile. Looking to replace my Blizzard Viva 8.0 skis in 158 length, which now feel too short for me. I'm 5'4" & 115lbs, aggressive advanced skier and seem to prefer longer skis than most Divas on the forum - my all-mountain/powder skis are Coalition Snow SOS in 165 and my backcountry powder skis are DPS Yvette 112 in 168.

I demoed the Santa Ana 93s in 169 length last season on a rare hardpack day at Grand Targhee last year and absolutely loved them. They had amazing edge grip and were stable at speed. I was planning on buying them this season until I heard that the 88s were being released and now I'm thinking that the 88s would be a better fit, because the 165 length would be more ideal and the narrower waist width would be more suited to what I would be using them for. And then there was the effect of wide skis on knees thread that got me leaning toward the 88s as well! But I haven't demoed the 88s, and am not sure if I will be able to, because GT's demo days are mostly wide skis and also have more for men than women. But I'm thinking if I loved the 93s, I would probably love the 88s too, possibly even more. Also hoping to make the purchase before the end of October.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm skiing mostly Grand Targhee and occasionally Jackson Hole and other Rocky Mountain West resorts. I already have skis for powder/bumps/crud, so these would be my skis for firmer snow/groomer days when it hasn't snowed in awhile. Looking to replace my Blizzard Viva 8.0 skis in 158 length, which now feel too short for me. I'm 5'4" & 115lbs, aggressive advanced skier and seem to prefer longer skis than most Divas on the forum - my all-mountain/powder skis are Coalition Snow SOS in 165 and my backcountry powder skis are DPS Yvette 112 in 168.

I demoed the Santa Ana 93s in 169 length last season on a rare hardpack day at Grand Targhee last year and absolutely loved them. They had amazing edge grip and were stable at speed. I was planning on buying them this season until I heard that the 88s were being released and now I'm thinking that the 88s would be a better fit, because the 165 length would be more ideal and the narrower waist width would be more suited to what I would be using them for. And then there was the effect of wide skis on knees thread that got me leaning toward the 88s as well! But I haven't demoed the 88s, and am not sure if I will be able to, because GT's demo days are mostly wide skis and also have more for men than women. But I'm thinking if I loved the 93s, I would probably love the 88s too, possibly even more. Also hoping to make the purchase before the end of October.
You can demo mine when I'm up there :becky: Except that won't be until at least November, obviously. Hoping to get up there for opening weekend or Thanksgiving weekend. We need to hunt down some of the two fer passes that they have at the gas stations in Idaho Falls. (If you are able to snag some of those, let me know!) Last year, we had to hunt them down and then they only gave us a couple of them.

If you want the skis for more groomer days or when it hasn't snowed in awhile, I'd say the 88 even more so. I really don't think you'd be disappointed in them or feel that they have a speed limit.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I demoed the Santa Ana 93s in 169 length last season on a rare hardpack day at Grand Targhee last year and absolutely loved them.
From what you said about liking skis longer than most Divas and based on what your other skis are (model/length) go with the 93s in 169.
Sounds like you struck oil.

But, based on your preferences, if you do go with the 88, you may want to consider the 172.
I have the 165, which I like, but I think I'd like the 172 better.
I also ski the Mindbender 88Ti in 170.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can demo mine when I'm up there :becky: Except that won't be until at least November, obviously. Hoping to get up there for opening weekend or Thanksgiving weekend. We need to hunt down some of the two fer passes that they have at the gas stations in Idaho Falls. (If you are able to snag some of those, let me know!) Last year, we had to hunt them down and then they only gave us a couple of them.
I will definitely take you up on the demo offer if I haven't made a decision before then!! Thank you!
I haven't heard of the two fer passes before, but my husband will be going to Idaho Falls soon to get our snow tires put on - are they in every gas station or only certain ones? Do you have to ask at the counter inside or how do you get ahold of them?

If you want the skis for more groomer days or when it hasn't snowed in awhile, I'd say the 88 even more so. I really don't think you'd be disappointed in them or feel that they have a speed limit.
I was thinking the same, and then I read @SnowHot's reply... the plot thickens.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
From what you said about liking skis longer than most Divas and based on what your other skis are (model/length) go with the 93s in 169.
Sounds like you struck oil.
And I would have done just that and been perfectly happy if the 88s hadn't come along to make me think they might be better!

But, based on your preferences, if you do go with the 88, you may want to consider the 172.
I have the 165, which I like, but I think I'd like the 172 better.
I also ski the Mindbender 88Ti in 170.
I don't know, I feel like one of the main reasons I am considering the 88s more heavily is because of the 165 length. I think 172 would be too long.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know, I feel like one of the main reasons I am considering the 88s more heavily is because of the 165 length. I think 172 would be too long.

I'm 5'1" and have the 161's. Of course, length is a matter of personal preference, but if I were your height, I'd get the 165's.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I will definitely take you up on the demo offer if I haven't made a decision before then!! Thank you!
I haven't heard of the two fer passes before, but my husband will be going to Idaho Falls soon to get our snow tires put on - are they in every gas station or only certain ones? Do you have to ask at the counter inside or how do you get ahold of them?

I was thinking the same, and then I read @SnowHot's reply... the plot thickens.
So, the two fer passes are at one of the local gas station chains, and I am trying to remember the name of them! I think it's the KJ's chains. You do have to ask at the counter, and depending on who is working, they'll give you one, sometimes two. We rely on them for our trips up there and last year had to call around and finally found the station on 17th still had some left. They run out really fast.

Offer to take mine out for a spin stands. I don't necessarily feel that they ski short, certainly not as short as my Sheevas, but I also probably don't ski nearly as fast or aggressively as you do. Keep me updated either on this thread or via pm. @SnowHot does tend to ski one size up from me, but she is also an inch taller than me and a much stronger skier. Bonus is mine are tuned VERY well so you'll get a really good feel for them.

mountainwest

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So, the two fer passes are at one of the local gas station chains, and I am trying to remember the name of them! I think it's the KJ's chains. You do have to ask at the counter, and depending on who is working, they'll give you one, sometimes two. We rely on them for our trips up there and last year had to call around and finally found the station on 17th still had some left. They run out really fast.
I will PM you before we go to get the snow tires on (might be the end of next week if this snow continues) and have you point me to the right place. :smile:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Offer to take mine out for a spin stands. I don't necessarily feel that they ski short, certainly not as short as my Sheevas, but I also probably don't ski nearly as fast or aggressively as you do. Keep me updated either on this thread or via pm. @SnowHot does tend to ski one size up from me, but she is also an inch taller than me and a much stronger skier. Bonus is mine are tuned VERY well so you'll get a really good feel for them.
Tune is everything.
I like to ski a new ski raw then tune them. The difference in how they ski is amazing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly