• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon X-Max 110 W Boots

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Review: Salomon X-Max 110 W Boots , sixe 26.5

Me: 5’8” 175lbs. Very narrow feet. Orthotic: Instaprint custom footbed.

Low-to-middling intermediate returning to skiing after 20+ year hiatus. Skis in the Poconos mainly, and VT/NH occasionally. Skis: Volkl Charisma 163s.

I measure 27.5 on the brannock device, but with a 26.5 instep. I’m coming to the Salomons from a Lange RS 130 26.5 that had been toe-punched twice and aggressively cut to soften the flex. I wear ZipFit Garas (size 26). I’ve struggled with boot fit pretty significantly for someone who’s been skiing as briefly as I have.

My problem with the Langes was the flex. Despite all the softening (and there is literally no material left to cut or bolts to be removed) they were still very stiff, and when the temperature dropped into the 20s, they began to stiffen even more. Though I could flex them somewhat in a warm room, they were ice-bricks in the winter air. My calves hurt all the time and I never could achieve a balanced feeling over my feet. I felt dramatically less confident than I had the previous year, during which I’d worn a pair of ridiculously big/wide (for me) 27.5, 104mm-lasted Salomon X-Pro 80s.

Out of frustration and with a “nothing ventured, nothing gained” approach, I tried on an X-Max 90w at a resort ski shop because they were there, and because I’d heard they were a narrow fit. Well, they fit my feet shockingly well, even lengthwise. The flex of the 90 was far too soft, though, and the shop didn’t carry the 110, so I did something I’ve always sworn I wouldn’t do: I ordered the 110s on line. When they arrived, they felt just as snug as the 90s. I did a shell-fit check and had a finger-and-a-half’s space between my ankle and the shell. Everything felt good. Not cushy-comfortable, just very snug and secure.

I skied the X-Max’s all day and into the evening Sunday, January 8 and can say so far that I like them much better than the Langes, and I like them even more with the ZipFits than the stock liners. My calves weren’t painful at all, and the flex/shape/fit or whatever Jedi magic it is in these boots really made a difference in my performance. I don’t know the reason for this (as compared to the Langes) but I felt as though I could really feel where the weight on my feet was, and where it should be (thanks, Ursula!), and I could get myself stacked over my feet really easily on blue trails. I had a lot of fun and gained some confidence back. And I was comfortable all day.

So there it is: after eleven months of sturm und drang, of wasted money, of being told my feet were a “problem,” to which pseudo-race boots subjected to serial butchery were the only solution, I found a precise and comfortable fit almost literally out of the box.

Notable Fit Details:

· These boots are long: The 26.5 fit me perfectly, and I am solidly, incontrovertibly, a 27.5 on the brannock. I did not have to alter the toe area at all. (The BSL for the 26.2 X-Max is 205).

· This boot has a very low instep. I have really low-volume feet and the top-of-foot area was tight enough to diminish circulation. Once stretched a bit at home, though, they were fine.

· Grain of salt here because I’m inexperienced: I think the flex is fairly true to an “average” 110 or maybe 100? I have read that earlier incarnations of this boot were so soft as to be almost floppy. I’m a novice skier, but at the same time I bring some heft and leverage to the table, and these do not feel soft. They feel even and secure. They don’t come anywhere near collapsing, even when I bring my full weight down over a flexed ankle.

Pros:

· The power strap is positioned so as to make it easy to put it between the shell and liner, rather than over the shell (though that works, too).

· The sole plates are replaceable.

· The heat molding customization works very well, even when done at home via holding just the forefoot area over a steaming pot of water for 60 seconds and deploying some padding over the top of my foot. Tightness problem: solved.

Cons:

· The sole plates are hard plastic, and thus slippery when walking. I plan to wear my Ski Skootys boot-bottom protectors with these as much as possible.

· I read that the “custom shell fit” process may negatively alter the fit of the shell for people with very narrow feet. One reviewer recommended holding off on the whole shell-heating procedure unless absolutely necessary. Perhaps have a bootfitter spot-heat if you don’t want to compromise the overall fit.

· I experienced a bit of unwanted space and some uncomfortable rubbing in the ankle area when using the stock liners. (The ZipFits solved this, though).

Question:

Heated boot bag: yay or nay? I’m worried that routinely subjecting the plastic of the X-Max’s customizable shell to the warm bag might compromise its plastic and thus the snug fit. My understanding is that what makes Salomon's Kaprolene plastic easy to alter is its relatively low softening point when heat is applied. A heated bag would be nice for making the ZipFits easier to insert, but would it deform the boots?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The only way the Hot Gear Bag might get hot enough to affect the shells at all is if you put it on the Hot/Mold setting. The Warm and Dry settings would be perfectly fine for your shells, and it makes getting into the ZipFits SO MUCH easier.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Correction, sorry: the BSL is 305, not 205. Typo on my part.
(While it's great to have new boots, I can't immediately afford to have my other skis re-mounted from my old 27.5s, which were 316 BSL. At $75 a pair, I'm going to have to wait on my Kendos and Jailbirds. Not that it matters too much--I really don't need so many skis, I just binged a bit last year. "Ski Slut" is the proper term, I reckon! :becky:

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
ebags.com has the Athalon Heated Boot Bag on sale for 119.00, I bought one last month and it is fabulous. The shape also means it fits under the seat in front of you on an airplane. I highly recommend it.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: I did go in to have the full custom shell-molding done to relieve pressure on the top of my foot. It worked very well, and does not seem to have distorted the fit in any other area of the boots.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update #2: YEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS, these boots are SO much better for me than the Lange RSs. Finally got my Kendo bindings adjusted for the X-Max and skied them today; felt like a rock star, even on steeper terrain. I had good balance over my feet and skis, confident speed control, and a thrilling pop of power after each turn. I have been struggling this season, wondering where all the fun and confidence from last year went. I think something was up with the Langes that made them not work for me (lean angle, flex, ramp angle?...I've no idea what the difference is between the two boots.). Today was the first day this season that everything really clicked. Hello skiing! I'm so glad you're back!

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The boots that caused me so much trouble were the lange RX 110. They started causing problems when the liner packed out and needed to be buckled tighter. With the cuff tighter the boot held my leg to a more upright stance. The RX have a 12 degree forward lean which seems to be less than normal. The lack of forward lean killed me. My boots now have 16 degrees of lean and are great.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Correction, sorry: the BSL is 305, not 205. Typo on my part.
(While it's great to have new boots, I can't immediately afford to have my other skis re-mounted from my old 27.5s, which were 316 BSL. At $75 a pair, I'm going to have to wait on my Kendos and Jailbirds. Not that it matters too much--I really don't need so many skis, I just binged a bit last year. "Ski Slut" is the proper term, I reckon! :becky:
If your skis were originally mounted for a 316, you might not need to remount any of them as that's only a 1 size difference, and they should adjust that much, although that will put you just a bit ahead of center.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If your skis were originally mounted for a 316, you might not need to remount any of them as that's only a 1 size difference, and they should adjust that much, although that will put you just a bit ahead of center.

True, I got lucky with my Kendos/Marker Griffons; they didn't need a remount. The Jailbirds do, according to my shop. I'm not sure if it's worth it to put more money into skis I bought just for a lark. I adore skiing on the Kendos and think I'd prefer to simplify instead of fussing around with different skis.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna