• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon Stance 80 151 cm

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I'm seeing this ski advertised on various sites for $399 for a new 2022 (or possibly 2023) ski with bindings.

It sounds like it might meet my criteria and getting a new ski would probably be better than trying to find a used ski in really good condition.

Wondering if it has undergone any major changes for '23 or '24.

Also, if it comes with a "gripwalk" binding does that imply that I need a gripwalk boot?

And I could probably sell it if it turns out not to be my "forever ski".

Thoughts?

Last edited:

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm seeing this ski advertised on various sites for $399 for a new 2022 (or possibly 2023) ski with bindings.

It sounds like it might meet my criteria and getting a new ski would probably be better than trying to find a used ski in really good condition.

Wondering if it has undergone any major changes for '23 or '24.

Also, if it comes with a "gripwalk" binding does that imply that I need a gripwalk boot?

And I could probably sell it if it turns out not to be my "forever ski".

Thoughts?
I just read about these. The men's and women's used to be different. They were unisex before 22-23 and then in 22-23, they updated and made a women specific version. They are updating the men's to the women's construction for 23-24 and making it unisex again, so no changes if you are looking at the '22-23 Stance 80 W.

Bindings that specify gripwalk will usually also accept older style boots and I think that's the case here so you don't need to worry. They usually specify gripwalk because there are some bindings that don't accept gripwalk and since the trend is towards boots with gripwalk, bindings that can accept multiple sole types are desired. I am not sure there are any GW only bindings, but I only started skiing recently, so please someone correct me if I'm wrong.

brooksnow

Angel Diva
@TiffAlt You are correct. Gripwalk bindings accept regular boots (sorry, I forget the official standard designation), but gripwalk boots require gripwalk bindings. My boots came with gripwalk soles and also included nongripwalk sole pieces to be swapped out if necessary.

IMO gripwalk soles make it significantly easier to walk in ski boots. Besides being made of a softer, grippier material they have a slight rocker in the toe and heel. Also gripwalk soles are screwed in and can be replaced if they wear down too much.

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@TiffAlt You are correct. Gripwalk bindings accept regular boots (sorry, I forget the official standard designation), but gripwalk boots require gripwalk bindings. My boots came with gripwalk soles and also included nongripwalk sole pieces to be swapped out if necessary.

IMO gripwalk soles make it significantly easier to walk in ski boots. Besides being made of a softer, grippier material they have a slight rocker in the toe and heel. Also gripwalk soles are screwed in and can be replaced if they wear down too much.
Agree that I prefer GW - my new boots have them. Of course they also have walk mode, but I think the soles are both more ergonomic for walking and grippier. My old soles were much more likely to slip. Carrying two planks over your shoulder while balancing on slippery blocks on your feet sounds like a recipe for disaster honestly, yet somehow everyone makes it back to the car ok!

mustski

Angel Diva
For some boots - race models particularly- you can buy GW toe and heel pieces to have them installed. It makes them much less slippery. Of course DH wouldn’t consider taking my advice on that matter. One day he’ll land hard and then “think if it himself.”

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
For some boots - race models particularly- you can buy GW toe and heel pieces to have them installed. It makes them much less slippery. Of course DH wouldn’t consider taking my advice on that matter. One day he’ll land hard and then “think if it himself.”

This makes me think that I should definitely have Gripwalk on my next boots.

Jilly

Staff member
Let me ask at the Salomon shop here. It's going to R tomorrow so not skiing. I'm looking for something in that range too.

Jilly

Staff member
I went into the shop yesterday, but first, they didn't have that ski and second, they were super busy. It's sale time. I couldn't grab anyone to talk to.

Looking at the website, it's listed as beginner-intermediate level.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Thanks @Jilly.

I actually bought that ski. The lure of a brand new ski with bindings for $400 made it almost a no brainer.

It checks off most of my boxes as a light easy turning ski to begin my comeback journey. If I have a future in skiing, it probably won't be my ultimate ski. If it works for this and next season that will be fine. I can demo at the end of next season and choose my "forever ski".

I bought it from Sun & Ski Sports which has a shop in Mammoth. They will mount it and do any tuning or detuning I may need. It also sounds like they have a good "satisfaction guaranteed" policy and I will be able to exchange it if for some reason it doesn't work out for me.

If my first day goes well I will also try out a slightly narrower ski which a good friend has offered to let me sample.

Thanks to all for your help. Stay tuned...

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
And today I booked a one hour private lesson for my first day back...

And purchased an off-the-shelf knee brace and thigh brace...

And dug my goggles and helmet out of the closet...

Not sure how I will manage to wait another week for this major event...

TiffAlt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

I think I know the feeling! Anxiety mixed with excitement, right? Crossing my fingers for a great day for you!

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member

Good luck to you! Hope it goes well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly