• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon S/PRO HV 90 boots

newboots

Angel Diva
Has anyone skied these boots? Not necessarily the high volume, but any of the S/PRO line?

I'm so anxious about pulling the trigger on expensive new boots, even with my hefty discount. I can't try these on, but would be ordering them, but I have tried on the mid-volume version.

Also, does anyone have experience with their heated boots?

Many thanks!

Signed,

Nervous in New York

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you have needed customized changes to boots in the past I would avoid buying something you cannot return. They could be totally wrong and no amount of adjustment would make them right for you.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sounds like you’re getting a great deal but I would not order without trying on if you can’t return them.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Did the fitter at your shop recommend them or something? But they don’t carry Salomon? Is there a shop in the area where you could try them on?

Both of my kids have Solomons, but the x-pro 80 and the x-pro custom heat. I got DD the heated ones since her toes have really bad circulation, and even worse she never seems to notice until they go numb. AND she was too self conscious to use regular boot heaters, thought her friends might think warm toes are hoity toit? In any case, they kept said toes warmer, and not having the battery pack clipped on is nice. The advantage of after market heaters though is that if something breaks you can replace parts.
What brand are your current boots?

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I would suggest as the others, that unless you can return them, don't get them.

My initial thought reading your post is that you are going to potentially buy a boot with a higher volume than you may need? Of course boot manufacturers have volume specs that can range between their own models, as well as different brands.

I have a low volume narrow foot. ( of course when I first started skiing I had no clue my foot was in that category ) Been through several pairs of boots. A couple of years ago, I was at Mammoth and decided to visit the area's best ski shop for boots just to see if they might happen to have a better boot for me than the Dalbello Chakra I had been using for three years. I was in my second version of the Chakra at this point. I wanted a boot without the Intuition liner. I have also had three of those in my boot life and decided they were adding a stiffness that was preventing optimum ankle flexion.

So...what do you know, they had a Rossi World cup Junior race boot Low Volume. ( I had used JR. race boots before the Dalbellos ) in a 21. Odd, given that you'd think that size would have been sold out long before February.
The boot fit quite well out of the box. What I failed to heed was the red flag telling me they were a tiny bit wide at the top of the foot; indicating that maybe the volume wasn't as low as I really needed. But they indeed were less stiff and not packed out like my Chakras. So I had them all dialed in best as could be done in the shop. Heat molded, little ankle punch,etc. Long story short, they were a nice change, BUT they never fit well due to that extra volume. I used them for a season and a half and decided I had to find a better-fitting junior race boot. The Rossi boots were slightly sloppy, despite a decent fit in all other respects. So I started calling a variety of race shops around the country --at random-- and explained my boot situation. One shop had mentioned a boot I had never considered and I then started looking for it. Voila. The suggestion paid off, and I have a perfect fit now. I actually need to buy another pair for back-up!!

Volume is crucial.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the x pro 90. They were an ok 1st boot. Unless you have wide feet/hv I don’t think I would recommend them. I’ve been using intuition power wraps in them after just a season to take up the volume and increase the stiffness as I felt they collapsed on me in any kind of crud. Looking forward to them being replaced.

Jilly

Staff member
X/PRO is an older boot. S/PRO is their top boot for wide feet. S/MAX is a narrow version. I'll see if the local store has any in yet and get my regular shaped foot into one.

I haven't heard too much about the custom heat liner. In our area, it's too $$ for most people to think about. They would rather put $1000 into a new ski suit than warm feet.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
X/PRO is an older boot. S/PRO
@Jilly is right. I messed up the name. It is the s/pro I have. A year later maybe I put my foot in my daughter’s s/max which the fitter thought would be too low volume for me (and they didn’t have in stock to try). The s/max definitely would have been a better fit for me.

elemmac

Angel Diva
I'm so anxious about pulling the trigger on expensive new boots, even with my hefty discount. I can't try these on, but would be ordering them, but I have tried on the mid-volume version.
I don't have any direct experience with that boot, but if you put your foot into the mid-volume boot....how did they feel? Way too tight? Good length? Did you take out the liners and do a quick shell check to see the length/feel the width? Do you need the high volume instead? I would gauge the purchase based on your experience with the medium volume boot.

And yes, I have bought plenty of boots online before trying them on. I gauged each purchase based on trying on similar boots that were available to me, and what I've liked in the past. Deep discounts have enticed me into boots before. It sometimes works out, and it sometimes doesn't. I'm not super picky (although if you ask my husband, I'm insanely picky), and will always try to make a boot work at least for a season...if I only wear it for a season...that's the risk you're taking by buying online.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thank you all! I knew I'd get heIp here!

I tried on the mid-volume of both the S/pro 100, 90, and the 80. The 100 felt very snug but somehow comfortable. Interesting, @SarahXC, that the 80 was too soft for you! That's really helpful.

I CAN return them. Our shop carries Salomon, but not this particular boot. The nearest shop that carries them is pretty far away.

I have wide feet, and a high arch and fairly high instep, I think. I'm sure about the arch. The only sneakers I've ever been completely comfortable in are Altras. I actually returned a pair of Hokas because my smaller toes started getting numb/painful (I know that's a contradiction, but <shrug>). My ski boots (6-year-old beginner Dalbellos) do that to my toes sometimes. I don't know their name - it says "PowerFrame" on one side and "ThermoLast" on the toe. <shrug again> I have no experience at all with any other boot, which is part of why this is so difficult.

I can get this sort of discount on some other boots.

I was so excited when I tried on the 100s. Our boot guy, Larry, has filled me with images of being a superb skier just with a change of boots. Good salesman!

MissySki

Angel Diva
If you’re in beginner boots and ready for some more snugness and flex, they very well could lift your skiing! You might gain control that you don’t yet know you’re missing. New boots are so exciting, I definitely wouldn’t buy before trying though. My feet are very annoying so ymmv.

Jilly

Staff member
If you don't have to taken them, then try em! Hopefully they can get them in. Stock is limited this year for just about anything...

elemmac

Angel Diva
I tried on the mid-volume of both the S/pro 100, 90, and the 80. The 100 felt very snug but somehow comfortable. Interesting, @SarahXC, that the 80 was too soft for you! That's really helpful.

I CAN return them. Our shop carries Salomon, but not this particular boot. The nearest shop that carries them is pretty far away.

I have wide feet, and a high arch and fairly high instep, I think. I'm sure about the arch. The only sneakers I've ever been completely comfortable in are Altras. I actually returned a pair of Hokas because my smaller toes started getting numb/painful (I know that's a contradiction, but <shrug>). My ski boots (6-year-old beginner Dalbellos) do that to my toes sometimes. I don't know their name - it says "PowerFrame" on one side and "ThermoLast" on the toe. <shrug again> I have no experience at all with any other boot, which is part of why this is so difficult.

I can get this sort of discount on some other boots.

Couple thoughts...
If the mid-volume felt snug, but not uncomfortable, I'm not sure you want to step it up to the HV boot?...might want to stick with the medium volume model. Or, if you can return them...maybe even consider getting one of each, and return the one that doesn't fit.

My first time buying boots while working at a shop I tried on EVERY SINGLE model we carried in my size, knowing that I could get the fit/last of the boot right, then order whatever flex I wanted from a shop deal. Two benefits come out of doing it this way. First, you have a good idea of what will fit your foot and what models/boots are out of the question. Secondly, it's pretty amazing for customer service knowing what brands and models fit certain types of feet. You now have first hand experience knowing if a boot A is wider than boot B, which ones have better heel hold, which ones have a cushy liner...so on.

ETA: Yes, I ended up with the first boot I tried on :tongue:

Last edited:

newboots

Angel Diva
Well, interesting!

Yes, I was just assuming that I needed an HV boot, due to my experience with shoes. (And I noted that the last is 102 vs 100 in the MV.). But I’ve been persuaded that these things make a difference.

I do plan to try on all the boots. In fact, it’s expected of me. I simply could not get into the Tecnicas - and I had trouble getting people into our rental Tecnicas. My foot still hurt 10 minutes later from the effort. Perhaps because I tried three times.

I’ve been eager to get new boots because everything is selling so fast now. So I will get to trying on!

MissySki

Angel Diva
Well, interesting!

Yes, I was just assuming that I needed an HV boot, due to my experience with shoes. (And I noted that the last is 102 vs 100 in the MV.). But I’ve been persuaded that these things make a difference.

I do plan to try on all the boots. In fact, it’s expected of me. I simply could not get into the Tecnicas - and I had trouble getting people into our rental Tecnicas. My foot still hurt 10 minutes later from the effort. Perhaps because I tried three times.

I’ve been eager to get new boots because everything is selling so fast now. So I will get to trying on!

Sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but were you with a bootfitter when you were trying on the MV boot? If so, is he the one thinking you need to try the HV or did he think the MV was good? Just curious where that part is coming from, i.e. recommendation from fitter or curiosity in general.

I will say for the Technicas I just got, and maybe it's because they are so very LV, but I think it'd be very hard for anyone who isn't quite flexible in their ankles. Once I get in a enough, pulling the tongue to the side is key for me to get the rest of the way there. I was having trouble until Torin had me do it that way because pulling the tongue of my boot straight forward does nothing in this boot, now it's not any harder than my previous Langes. The first few times I put the boot on he was spreading it open overall for me which was MUCH easier lol.

newboots

Angel Diva
I was asking the bootfitter about HV. This discussion has been really helpful. Back to the boot fitting!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly