• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Salomon S/PRO HV 90 boots

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Me too. Ski boot "footbeds" come in at around $200 where I live and ski.

Custom "orthotics" done by a podiatrist are different, and more expensive. They are not normally made for ski boots, though. I think they are made to be used in street shoes.

MissySki

Angel Diva
Me too. Ski boot "footbeds" come in at around $200 where I live and ski.

Custom "orthotics" done by a podiatrist are different, and more expensive. They are not normally made for ski boots, though. I think they are made to be used in street shoes.

Ahh maybe that’s the distinction! I feel like some people call them orthotics in ski boots too, but perhaps it’s a bunch of words being used synonymously when they shouldn’t be..?

Jilly

Staff member
My Orthotics were done by a Podiatrist. My custom insoles were done by my boot fitter. I had my insoles in no time. The Orthotics were weeks getting made.

Orthotics can be made from plaster casts or a computer program where you walk across a pad. Lots of work involved so more $$.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Superfeet for $60 work well if you have normal feet! I had old Surefoot custom $250 and was told I have pretty normal feet so Superfeet is all I really need. And, my bootfitter makes custom $300 insoles but I don’t need them!!! Good bootfitter!

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My custom ski boot insoles cost me NZD$220 if i recall correctly, which sounds similar to the USD150-200 estimation in this thread. They were totally worth it for me, I'd do it again if I had to.

I'd love to have normal feet!!

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ahh maybe that’s the distinction! I feel like some people call them orthotics in ski boots too, but perhaps it’s a bunch of words being used synonymously when they shouldn’t be..?
Yes, people do that.
I got the orthotics once, using the plaster cast method. They were made to bend in the right place for street shoes. I don't use them.

The normal custom footbeds are what I use in my ski boots. The placement of the foot's arch, whether it's forward, middle, or back from the "average" person's arch, as determined by the manufacturers of those off-the-shelf inserts, is a big part of whether your feet will like them. My arches are not in the average person's place, nor are they shaped the same. So custom it is for me.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If your arch doesn’t line up (mine doesn’t) with your normal size in off the shelf inserts but they are otherwise sufficient might see if it lines up better in a size up. It’s an easy thing to cut the toe down to the right length/shape.

Jilly

Staff member
A custom footbed could have a manufacturer's name on it. Sidas is the brand I have. My boot fitter made them about 8 years ago and they are still good.

My orthotics were in the $500 range and covered by insurance. They have a lot more "stuff" on/in them and are only 3/4 size. Metatarsal pads, heel lifts, arch support. The foot beds only have arch support, deep heel cup and some contouring at the toes.

Big difference between the 2.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Superfeet for $60 work well if you have normal feet! I had old Surefoot custom $250 and was told I have pretty normal feet so Superfeet is all I really need. And, my bootfitter makes custom $300 insoles but I don’t need them!!! Good bootfitter!
My mom wears orthotics in her everyday shoes, but her bootfitter recommended trying Superfeet before jumping into a custom footbed. Point being, you don't even need "normal" feet for Superfeet to work for some people.

newboots

Angel Diva
I, too, would like normal feet!

My insurance would not pay for podiatrist's custom orthotics. The off-the-shelf podiatric footbed feels good on the bottom of my feet; it's just the crowding of my instep that bothers me. I'll get there, though!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I ski on an off-the-shelf orthotic from my podiatrist with modifications mostly around the forefoot - 1st metatarsal offload/metatarsal padding, and in my day-to-day shoes also a heel post. But just the black Superfeet in my snowboard boots.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna