• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Sad news from opening day at Solden in Austria

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sorry to have to report on the first avalanche deaths for the 2019-20 ski season in Europe. It happened at Solden in Austria where there had been a massive snowstorm recently. The two men who died were very experienced guides from The Netherlands. The PlanetSki article includes on the spot reporting in a video.

Nov. 9, 2019, PlanetSki .eu
TRIBUTES PAID TO AVALANCHE VICTIMS
"Updated: The two Dutch men died in Soelden in Austria on Saturday. Both were experienced instructors. A third man survived.

The first avalanche deaths of the season followed heavy snow & high winds in the area.

The two men who died have been named as Stephan Verheij, who was 39, and Roy Brink (33).

A 54-year-old man, also Dutch, was with them but survived the slide.

Friends said they had been fully equipped for going off piste.

Stephan Verheij ran a snowboarding company called White Adventure, offering freeride and split-board guiding.

He had the highest Austria instructing qualification and lived in Kaprun.
. . ."

For a picture of the slide and the rocks below. The slide went onto an open groomer, but luckily no one was involved there.
https://tirol.orf.at/stories/3020970/

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
So sad and unnecessary. Early November, not silly teenagers, experienced people, not tourists, but locals who should have known better. Just why??? Since when is going off-piste on steep slopes after heavy snow and winds in early November with thin to non-existent base a good idea? Stay safe ladies, we have all season ahead. I went skiing last weekend just because I was in the resort for something else and I have a place there. Good for November, otherwise not worth a journey, not worth the price of a lift ticket, definitely nothing to die for. Don't think I will be up till January now. I have a tennis tournament coming up and don't want to risk my knee for less than epic snow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna