• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Running support and motivation?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Hi, everyone!

I was just wondering if anyone else on the forum is in the earlier stages of a 'running habit' - and would like to share stories, run descriptions, advice etc in an ongoing thread like this. I'm also on Strava - and if anyone else is, maybe we could follow each other and give each other kudos? :smile: My user name on Strava is "s peric" and I'm in Calgary.

I just started running a little over a year ago - I began with the Couch to 5k program, stuck with running 5k for a while, and am now training to do a 10 k race. A big reason I stuck with running is that I was amazed at what running did for my skiing. I started running in June of last year, finished the c25k program and then ski season started. I couldn't believe the difference in stamina and leg strength. I went from needing breaks every so often to skiing from 8.30 to 4 straight, with a short break for lunch. By the end of the last season, I was racking up 30000 - 40000 vertical feet per skiing day. I also noticed that my balance skills were much improved. So, I've so far stuck to it.

I started to get bored with running over the summer, so I've been adding trail running into the mix to break it up. It's very easy to do here in Calgary as we've got dirt trails with lots of hills all over our two river valleys in the city. I'm running on Brooks Glycerin running shoes now (had to get new running shoes about a month ago), and I like them a lot. I opted for a thicker tread because of the trail running I was throwing in there. I usually run outside - I get really bored on a treadmill. In the winter, I'll run outside if it's not icy to a fairly low temperature. If it's really cold, I'll run indoors at the Olympic Oval on the university campus (there's a track that goes around the speed skating oval).

Today I went for an 8km run in beautiful perfect fall weather on trails along the Elbow River. Here are some pics:

IMG_2814.JPG

IMG_2815.JPG

IMG_2817.JPG

What are your running routes like?

Do you have any preferences?

Anyone else trying to run 5 or 10 k?

What running shoes do you use? Thick tread or something more 'barefoot' running-esque?

I think that's awesome. Keep it up. I am on a hiatus from running. I have been doing it for years and just got burnt out. Part of it is I don't have anyone to run with and I'm sure that helps a lot. I ran outside a lot when I lived by the beach in Southern California but I have faded in my habit since I came back here. I don't really run outside and mostly ran on the treadmill. The only time I run outside is on race day. I put on my ipod shuffle and go away. I am a huge proponent of Jeff Galloway and the walk/run method. I have run many, many 5 and 10ks over the years and have actually gotten better times in the end by talking small walk breaks here and there.

I am usually a Asics gal for running shoes but currently tried something new with a pair of Mizuno's which I like a lot. I only wear my running shoes when training so they tend to last longer. Once I retire them from running I wear them as regular sneakers out and about.

I look forward to seeing your pictures and reading the stories.
I have been missing it as of late and will likely start up again next spring as a distraction from ski season being over.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@Albertan ski girl - my story mirrors yours. I started running on a dare from my godchildren. We all started a couch to 5k program a year ago August. They have all finished the program and run 5ks, while I have struggled with various physical impediments...leg cramps, bone spur, etc.

I attended a 5 day running seminar with Danny Dreyer, who wrote "Chi Running" and really enjoyed learning his running technique. Between working with the chiropractor and following Danny's advice, I'm now training 3 days a week and preparing for my first 5K on Thanksgiving day.

I go back and forth on shoes. Danny recommends zero drop soles, and I have several pairs of shoes that fit that description. Some are more comfortable than others. I swap back and forth between Altra, Nike, and ON. This morning, I ran in my ONs, and had a really great run.

I usually run either in my neighborhood, or at the foot path at our local middle school. I prefer to run at the school - it's a 6' wide pea-gravel path that is well kept, relatively flat, and winds through the woods and by the lake. It also circles the ball fields, so there are usually people around and I feel safe there. In the neighborhood, it's very hilly and there is no shoulder, so it's not as comfortable a running venue.

Running is the ONLY thing that has ever, ever, ever cured my chronic migraines. I have suffered from migraines since I was little. I've tried all sorts of remedies. Nothing has ever worked, until I discovered running. If I feel a migraine starting, I can go for a run and make the migraine go away.

I'm not fast, and I really don't care about times. I'm running because it makes me feel better about myself. I'm determined to run and finish this 5K in November.

2bjenny

Certified Ski Diva
I have spent this past spring and summer getting back in to the running habit. When I lived in the Boston metro area, I ran all the time, but since moving out west, for whatever reason, I have had a hard time sticking with it until this year. I do not really have an option on "where" I run since there is only about 1.25 miles of pavement out where I live. I spend my time running on the desert, in some really gnarly sage brush and volcanic rock terrain in Eastern Idaho. The nice thing is that there are miles and miles of range roads, some better than others, to explore, with mountain views. It's only in the past weeks that I realized I was starting to "enjoy" going out for longer runs and get antsy if I cannot get out for run. I think that is mostly because I temporarily lost my running partner, my black lab, Rosie. She tore her acl this summer and after TPLO surgery, is still on very restricted activity, so no running for her. My yellow lab, Zoe, hates to run. To keep myself motivated, I usually sign up for a few races throughout the summer. I did the Spitfire 5k last April which was lots of fun - climbing and running around the crater of a volcano. I think I will do the 10k distance next year.

I use trail shoes, but have had a hard time finding something that is not too heavy and can hold up to the conditions. Mostly Salomon, Saucony and Inov-8. I am trying out a new pair from La Sportiva to see how they hold up. I just tore my Saucony Peregrines, which I was really liking, on a piece of sage brush and they still had plenty of miles left in them. Oh well.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
good for you @Albertan ski girl ! I really love running but don't much anymore as have been dealing with back issues. Actually, I ran the same 10k Wharf to Wharf 25 years in a row!! Would only stop at one water station and poor water on my head and take a sip and keep going until done! I think running on a treadmill is awful, but I live in California so weather is not an issue. And I ran 5 times a week at 3-4 miles a day and I'll tell you---- never (lucky me) had weight issues as was probably burning more calories than consuming. Also would run hilly 10k's once a year on the 4th of July... Firecracker 10k - grueling and actually walked the course today!
Good luck to you and trail running is so awesome. I live at the beach and that's not too shabby either. Keep up the good work!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
BTW, I've never heard of a couch25k program ever. Except on this forum. Am I totally uninformed? Or is it because I've only run 10k's....No it couldn't be. Is it an east coast thing?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
@Albertan ski girl - my story mirrors yours. I started running on a dare from my godchildren. We all started a couch to 5k program a year ago August. They have all finished the program and run 5ks, while I have struggled with various physical impediments...leg cramps, bone spur, etc.

I attended a 5 day running seminar with Danny Dreyer, who wrote "Chi Running" and really enjoyed learning his running technique. Between working with the chiropractor and following Danny's advice, I'm now training 3 days a week and preparing for my first 5K on Thanksgiving day.

I go back and forth on shoes. Danny recommends zero drop soles, and I have several pairs of shoes that fit that description. Some are more comfortable than others. I swap back and forth between Altra, Nike, and ON. This morning, I ran in my ONs, and had a really great run.

I usually run either in my neighborhood, or at the foot path at our local middle school. I prefer to run at the school - it's a 6' wide pea-gravel path that is well kept, relatively flat, and winds through the woods and by the lake. It also circles the ball fields, so there are usually people around and I feel safe there. In the neighborhood, it's very hilly and there is no shoulder, so it's not as comfortable a running venue.

Running is the ONLY thing that has ever, ever, ever cured my chronic migraines. I have suffered from migraines since I was little. I've tried all sorts of remedies. Nothing has ever worked, until I discovered running. If I feel a migraine starting, I can go for a run and make the migraine go away.

I'm not fast, and I really don't care about times. I'm running because it makes me feel better about myself. I'm determined to run and finish this 5K in November.

Wow – this is great! I didn't know that running could work for migraines – it sounds like it's come as a great relief to you. I have a couple of close friends who suffer from migraine headaches – and I know how debilitating it can be. That's really wonderful that you found running helps with yours. Migrants can really stop a person from getting out there.

I'm going to look up chi running - I haven't heard about it. Sounds interesting. And I'm looking forward to hearing about your first 5K! I'm not very fast at all. I definitely have gotten faster from when I started, but I'm still pretty slow. I'm not very concerned about speed though, I am more interested in building up my endurance, and getting a good workout and enjoying being outside.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I think that's awesome. Keep it up. I am on a hiatus from running. I have been doing it for years and just got burnt out. Part of it is I don't have anyone to run with and I'm sure that helps a lot. I ran outside a lot when I lived by the beach in Southern California but I have faded in my habit since I came back here. I don't really run outside and mostly ran on the treadmill. The only time I run outside is on race day. I put on my ipod shuffle and go away. I am a huge proponent of Jeff Galloway and the walk/run method. I have run many, many 5 and 10ks over the years and have actually gotten better times in the end by talking small walk breaks here and there.

I am usually a Asics gal for running shoes but currently tried something new with a pair of Mizuno's which I like a lot. I only wear my running shoes when training so they tend to last longer. Once I retire them from running I wear them as regular sneakers out and about.

I look forward to seeing your pictures and reading the stories.
I have been missing it as of late and will likely start up again next spring as a distraction from ski season being over.

Yeah – I know people who have gotten burnt out on running. I have tried running on a treadmill a couple of times, but I never seem to be able to go longer than about one or 2 miles. I just get really really bored. And I sometimes want someone to run with – I'm usually able to drag my SO when I want company, but sometimes I prefer just being alone and outside. I feel very very lucky to have an amazing system of parks and pathways in Calgary so I can maximize my time outdoors even though I live literally right in the middle of the city. All of our rivers are aligned with the parks, and there are so many natural areas. My place is very close to the river pathway system, and it connects to a reservoir and several sanctuaries. Do you think a part of it is because you miss the beach?

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
I have spent this past spring and summer getting back in to the running habit. When I lived in the Boston metro area, I ran all the time, but since moving out west, for whatever reason, I have had a hard time sticking with it until this year. I do not really have an option on "where" I run since there is only about 1.25 miles of pavement out where I live. I spend my time running on the desert, in some really gnarly sage brush and volcanic rock terrain in Eastern Idaho. The nice thing is that there are miles and miles of range roads, some better than others, to explore, with mountain views. It's only in the past weeks that I realized I was starting to "enjoy" going out for longer runs and get antsy if I cannot get out for run. I think that is mostly because I temporarily lost my running partner, my black lab, Rosie. She tore her acl this summer and after TPLO surgery, is still on very restricted activity, so no running for her. My yellow lab, Zoe, hates to run. To keep myself motivated, I usually sign up for a few races throughout the summer. I did the Spitfire 5k last April which was lots of fun - climbing and running around the crater of a volcano. I think I will do the 10k distance next year.

I use trail shoes, but have had a hard time finding something that is not too heavy and can hold up to the conditions. Mostly Salomon, Saucony and Inov-8. I am trying out a new pair from La Sportiva to see how they hold up. I just tore my Saucony Peregrines, which I was really liking, on a piece of sage brush and they still had plenty of miles left in them. Oh well.

That sounds great – I've never been to Eastern Idaho, it sounds like it's very beautiful. I lived in Boston for many years to while doing grad school! I missed a lot for a while when I first moved out west, but now I'm pretty happy here.

The Spitfire 5K sounds amazing!

Which La Sportiva shoes are you trying? If I'm going mixed road and trail, I'll wear my Brooks Glycerin. But if I know it's just trail, I have a pair of La Sportiva Wildcats. They are actually the men's version, because the biggest women size was too small for my foot. I'm quite happy with them so far, although I am not crazy about the stability of the shoe. I feel like it could be a little bit of a better platform when the terrain gets rougher - scree or loose rock - but on most trails it's pretty good. And it's a very light shoe. I tried really hard to find a Salomon trail shoe that fit, because I thought they were so good looking – however, they were all way too narrow for my foot.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
BTW, I've never heard of a couch25k program ever. Except on this forum. Am I totally uninformed? Or is it because I've only run 10k's....No it couldn't be. Is it an east coast thing?

Living at the beach – sounds amazing. SO and I took a very brief for a vacation last December to Monterey and Big Sur and I went crazy for the area. Santa Cruz is also an amazing town. The coastline south of San Francisco is just one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. And I couldn't believe that nobody was camping in December! We asked why there is nobody there, and they said because it was winter – but those temperatures are like our summer temperatures, 70s and low 80s during the day and 40s at night. We decided when we go back, we're going to go on a longer 'Winter' camping trip there.

Sounds like 10K was really your distance – I think it might be mine as well. I'm not crazy about 5K is, but when I run longer, I just get into a zone and it makes me pretty happy.

OK, so the couch to 5K program is actually an app that you download for your phone. I don't think it's an eastern thing – I know plenty of people all over that use it. You download the app and you can follow a training program that gets you running 5K in a few months. Basically, the premise is that you're starting from not being able to run at all and you end up running 30 minutes straight. It's a run walk method, so you slowly build up by increasing the run intervals and decreasing the walk intervals. I thought that I couldn't do it when I started, but the program is so well-designed and paced, that I had no problem getting to the end of it and running 30 minutes straight. I think a lot of people really like it, because it's really encouraging to see how really anyone can get up and run. I remember before I started, running seemed very very intimidating to me. I think the Couch to 5K is a great introduction. It's a program that really is designed with the never – ever – runner in mind. I wasn't really running 5K at the end of it – because I was really slow. But I was running 30 minutes straight. Hell, I'm not really running 5K in 30 minutes now, it's more like 35. Anyway, I'm clearly a fan. It worked for me, and got me excited. Skiing and running actually have both been really revelatory to me as to what my body can actually do. Bodies are so amazing! And they can take you places!

Yeah – I know people who have gotten burnt out on running. I have tried running on a treadmill a couple of times, but I never seem to be able to go longer than about one or 2 miles. I just get really really bored. And I sometimes want someone to run with – I'm usually able to drag my SO when I want company, but sometimes I prefer just being alone and outside. I feel very very lucky to have an amazing system of parks and pathways in Calgary so I can maximize my time outdoors even though I live literally right in the middle of the city. All of our rivers are aligned with the parks, and there are so many natural areas. My place is very close to the river pathway system, and it connects to a reservoir and several sanctuaries. Do you think a part of it is because you miss the beach?

Not sure. I live pretty close to the beach here in CT but I somehow lost my out door running desire when I moved back here so something's different. I think it might be that in California I could run right out my front door to the beach and around every easily. Here I don't care to run right outside my door because there aren't any sidewalks and it's not a very pedestrian friendly place so that's some of it I think. I seem to be too lazy to drive somewhere to run but obviously I'll need to do that if I need a break in being a hamster on a treadmill . I think I also just needed a break.

I run to music and I just love going away listening to my favorite song. I'm a little afraid to try trail running because I'm not the most graceful person and that's all I need to do is trip on a branch and break my ankle so I can't ski.

One thing I've done in the past is sign up for fun road races. One I like is this 10k on the beach where a good chunk of it is running along the water and it's just so beautiful. Another one I like is a 5k at the Bronx Zoo. You raise a little money run the 5k on the grounds which are closed to the public and then you get free admittance to the zoo for the day.

I think you are on the right track, I love reading about your enthusiasm.

This just made me laugh today so I wanted to share

14184366_651582525017863_3498617754372615312_n.jpg

2bjenny

Certified Ski Diva
That sounds great – I've never been to Eastern Idaho, it sounds like it's very beautiful. I lived in Boston for many years to while doing grad school! I missed a lot for a while when I first moved out west, but now I'm pretty happy here.

The Spitfire 5K sounds amazing!

Which La Sportiva shoes are you trying? If I'm going mixed road and trail, I'll wear my Brooks Glycerin. But if I know it's just trail, I have a pair of La Sportiva Wildcats. They are actually the men's version, because the biggest women size was too small for my foot. I'm quite happy with them so far, although I am not crazy about the stability of the shoe. I feel like it could be a little bit of a better platform when the terrain gets rougher - scree or loose rock - but on most trails it's pretty good. And it's a very light shoe. I tried really hard to find a Salomon trail shoe that fit, because I thought they were so good looking – however, they were all way too narrow for my foot.

There was a few things I missed from Boston when I first moved out here, but I've gotten used to it now. It's very isolated where I live. What I miss most is being able to get just about any kind of ethnic food within 1 mile of my apartment. Here, it's 55 miles one way to the grocery store.

I am using the La Sportiva Akasha. So far I am happy with them. The women's just fit - I have large feet :smile: . I was surprised by how much I liked the Saucony Peregrines, but I don't think I will get another pair since the webbing tore easily on sage brush. The Salomon's have been hit or miss for me. I used the Speedcross for the Spitfire and I was so glad! The soles were sticky enough that I had good control running back down the mountainside in the volcanic rock. It was much steeper than I expected. When I lived in Boston, Marathon Sports put me in Mizunos, which I loved for years.

Here's a few pictures of what is looks like where I run:
cairn.jpg
fall desert.jpg

Hoping to get out this evening and get about 4 miles in - maybe I will see some antelope. There was a small herd hanging around in one of the pastures Monday evening.

So beautiful there in Idaho @2bjenny.

I love mizunos

I love the California coast. Big sur is spectacular. I love socal coast cause that's my home but Pacifica on down is stunning to me. I will drag DH there one day. I'm more of a mountain gal than a beach gal these days so if I want to get back into running I will have to make some adjustments.

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
There was a few things I missed from Boston when I first moved out here, but I've gotten used to it now. It's very isolated where I live. What I miss most is being able to get just about any kind of ethnic food within 1 mile of my apartment. Here, it's 55 miles one way to the grocery store.

I am using the La Sportiva Akasha. So far I am happy with them. The women's just fit - I have large feet :smile: . I was surprised by how much I liked the Saucony Peregrines, but I don't think I will get another pair since the webbing tore easily on sage brush. The Salomon's have been hit or miss for me. I used the Speedcross for the Spitfire and I was so glad! The soles were sticky enough that I had good control running back down the mountainside in the volcanic rock. It was much steeper than I expected. When I lived in Boston, Marathon Sports put me in Mizunos, which I loved for years.

Here's a few pictures of what is looks like where I run:
View attachment 5977
View attachment 5978

Hoping to get out this evening and get about 4 miles in - maybe I will see some antelope. There was a small herd hanging around in one of the pastures Monday evening.

Gorgeous! And antelope!

I went for a 6.7 km run this afternoon - did my second fastest 5k time, so I was feeling pretty good. It felt nice, but it was a bit warmer than expected. It was apparently only 20 c, but the sun felt pretty strong. Here are some pics - this is the Glenmore reservoir, just south of downtown Calgary. Judging from the colours of the leaves, as well as the leaves on the ground already, I think we might be already past our fall peak...winter is coming :snow:

Some shots from the reservoir - this run is a combination of paved and trail.

IMG_2819.JPG

IMG_2821.JPG IMG_2822.JPG

the mountains are in the distance, but at this angle, you can't quite see them. snow-capped though!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Gorgeous! And antelope!

I went for a 6.7 km run this afternoon - did my second fastest 5k time, so I was feeling pretty good. It felt nice, but it was a bit warmer than expected. It was apparently only 20 c, but the sun felt pretty strong. Here are some pics - this is the Glenmore reservoir, just south of downtown Calgary. Judging from the colours of the leaves, as well as the leaves on the ground already, I think we might be already past our fall peak...winter is coming :snow:

Some shots from the reservoir - this run is a combination of paved and trail.

View attachment 5979

View attachment 5980 View attachment 5981

the mountains are in the distance, but at this angle, you can't quite see them. snow-capped though!
You're doing great and love the photos. So 6.7k is about 4 miles? Okay I can look it up!

Albertan ski girl

Angel Diva
Today I did a new run, mostly trail run at a park right in the inner city - with great views of the downtown - though what I could tell, fall is definitely definitely past its peak. Lots of aspen with no more leaves! Still - one last golden hurrah is totally worth it :smile: Was a little slow today, think I might be coming down with something. When I do trail runs, they're usually shorter. I just added trail running into my workout routine, but it's definitely a lot harder! :smile: Trail running has been a real challenge for me, but I'm trying to keep at it.

6km total, about 8:20 min/km pace on average, 45 meters net height gain, not sure what the total was.

I love fall!!!!

along the banks of the elbow river - one of our 2 glacier-fed rivers in the city:
IMG_2840.JPG

some beautiful bushes:
IMG_2845.JPG

downtown Calgary in the distance from the top of the embankment:
IMG_2850.JPG

one last patch of golden aspen:
IMG_2851.JPG

So beautiful. I love fall too. An 8:20 minute mile is NOT bad at all, pretty good actually IMO. Keep at it. :smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly