• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

ruh-roh. had a fall, and it was a doozy

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
OMG!!!!! I think those video's creator's were secretly taping the women that rents the pasture space next to me!!!!!! The conversations were like hearing deja vu!!!!! And yes I did call animal control on her last winter because she is a MORON!!!!! She didn't think that she should have to make sure that her "rescued" horses had any water access in the winter because they could "just eat the snow for water"!!!!! She didn't show up to feed for a week but it was "OKAY" because she piled extra hay in the paddock and left a 50lb bag of sweet feed out for her horses!!!! It got really ugly she is to afraid of her horses to ride so she decided to try her hand at breeding!!!! There are some very frightning people out there!!! I'm lucky that I didn't get arrested for assault on her when i came into her barn to find that she had left the inside water running in a stall for at least two days with a mare still in the stall in all that water, IN JANUARY!!!!!!! Luckily a neighbor lady who uses the cutthrough noticed the water and came over to our barn while I was feeding. I called animal control because she was so clueless and couldn't stand it any longer......all she got was a warning(because it was deemed that she had adequate food on the premises) but they do check in on her monthly now. Sorry didn't mean to rant but that kind of stupid is a sore spot with me.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yep, people think horses can be treated like a cat or something: "Just throw it some food for a week and it's fine!" A bag of sweet feed and no water?! Really??!! She's lucky it didn't founder AND colic! I would have called AC at that point, too.

Skise

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
She didn't think that she should have to make sure that her "rescued" horses had any water access in the winter because they could "just eat the snow for water"!!!!!

Actually, there is a study that shows horses are just fine with eating the snow for water. Can't remember how they were fed. This study is listed in my mind under "potential problems" since as a municipal veterinarian I am the local animal protection authority. Might make it difficult in some situations for me to order the owners to give water to the horses in the wintertime when they can say there is a scientific study showing they don't actually need it (our law doesn't state they have to have water at all times but that they need to get enough water).

As for the loose horse in the royal wedding parade. Not much chance for the rider to stay on. But the first thing I was taught: never let the reins go if you're not in a fenced area. I would have done so much better in that situation :laugh:
abc_royal_wedding_horse_jm_110429_wg.jpg

Tvan

Angel Diva
I didn't think I'd encounter a subculture that was more hard-core, or, as Mr. Serafina puts it, "more nut-case", over their sport than skiers...but horse people definitely have the ascendancy at the moment!

Ha! Welcome to the wonderful world of Equines!

I'm just catching up on your recent adventure, and I'm glad you're on the mend and ready to get back in the saddle again <cue cowboy music>.

You've been given lots of good insight by the divas, and getting new helmet is a good idea. The only thing I have to add is that even if you have the perfect horse with the perfect beginner temperament on the perfect day with perfect weather and no plastic bags in sight, well, sometimes they just get spooked. My instructor talks about her bomb-proof horses, but even the pokey school horses with the disposition of a boxcar have been known to kick up their heels when there's a thunderstorm or somebody revs a motorcycle out on the main road.

They're horses. :smile:

I'm glad you're recovering!

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
Yep, people think horses can be treated like a cat or something: "Just throw it some food for a week and it's fine!" A bag of sweet feed and no water?! Really??!! She's lucky it didn't founder AND colic! I would have called AC at that point, too.

"A horse"? She has 6 over there now, she did have 8 when this happened one was a 7 month old stud colt! The owners of the property made her thin out her herd when the colt went through the fench again. I was dreading spring with all of the mares out there!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna