• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Rossignol Temptation 80 v Absolute Joy

AJGS

Diva in Training
Conundrum. After skiing every season during my youth - Southern Hemisphere (NZ): patchy cover, a lot of chop, and plenty of volcanic rocks to avoid - I've been sporadically hitting the slopes again in the past few years with my husband, kids, and wider family after a very long hiatus. (The skiing break was so big, I missed the parabolic revolution and suddenly found myself going from a straight 180 to a 153, which was a bit of mind-bender!) On a straight ski, I always considered myself a solid but pretty cautious intermediate. I was never a speedster and was happiest on or near a marked track. I could follow more skilled friends down a black run, but it was slow and not particularly pretty. However, the change in shape and size and weight of skis has opened up a huge amount of scope for me. I'm 5'4 and just touching 100 lbs, so not having to haul long, heavy planks around has been huge in terms of giving me confidence and helping me improve after being stuck in a rut for a long time. Upon my return to the slopes, I initially opted for the Volkl Oceana (153), which I still have and use. However, a few years back, we did a family trip to the French alps and I rented a pair of Rossignol Temptation 80s for the week. They were a revelation, and I skied better on them than anything I have before or since. They were great to turn, had some speed to them (something that I never thought I'd want), and I really wanted to be more aggressive in my approach with them on my feet. Incidentally, I also tried the Blizzard Black Pearls while in France and, whilst on paper they looked like a really good match, I didn't like them. At all. They felt too light and we just didn't gel. I tried to purchase a pair of the Rossignols before departing but, unfortunately, they didn't have any in my size and I was unable to find the 80 once back in New Zealand. I've continued to search for the Temptations since (even a secondhand pair) but these have now been superseded by the Experience and, again, the 80 waist seems to be incredibly difficult to find here. I desperately want to upgrade the Oceanas (which now feel slow and too short) but demoing is not the easiest in NZ, so it's a bit of a 'jump in and see' game. The ski that seems to come closest to what I want in reviews and on paper (a stable carving ski with a bit of 'voom' that can cope with the variable NZ conditions - ice, chop, etc.) is the Head Absolut Joy, but after my Black Pearl experience I'm nervous. Has anyone has skied the Absolute Joy and the Rossignol Temptation 80, and, if so, what were your thoughts on the two?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hello there! It's great that there is more or less a regular season happening in NZ.

I'm 5'4 and just touching 100 lbs, so not having to haul long, heavy planks around has been huge in terms of giving me confidence and helping me improve after being stuck in a rut for a long time. Upon my return to the slopes, I initially opted for the Volkl Oceana (153), which I still have and use.

It's been a while since I demo'd a Temptation. It was the Temptation 84. In general I've liked every Rossi that I've tried so I don't spend time trying them out. The first good skis I bought after starting to ski more when my daughter was learning as a young kid were Rossi skis.

From your comments, I think you'd like the Temptation 80 more than the Absolut Joy. By the time I decided to buy the AJ for skiing in the mid-Atlantic, I was beyond the intermediate plateau. The hills that I can reach driving half a day are small, with 100% snowmaking and runs that take 3-4 min to finish even making lots of leisurely turns. I'm petite (5'0", 110 lbs) and went with 148cm for the AJs to make them even easier to turn . . . and carry from the parking lot.

One advantage of AJs from a shopping perspective is that they come with bindings. The bindings need to be mounted but it's one less item to select when buying new skis.

For background, I've become an advanced skier in the last decade after skiing much more and taking lessons regularly in the past decade. My hiatus was 10 years after middle school, and very sporadic skiing until I got my daughter started when she was little. By then I had retired. Started doing free demo days as essentially an intermediate based on what I learned decades ago on straight skis. I'm own the original Black Pearl (2011 version, very different from current BPs) and the Absolut Joy. I've demo'd the BP78, BP88, and BP98 in the last couple years. I can assure you that the BP line and the Head Joy line are quite different.

Jilly

Staff member
The Rossi Experience W Ci is available at least here in Canada. So it should be world wide.

https://www.rossignol.com/ca_en/catalog/product/view/id/421056/s/rajfh02-000/category/2098/

Looks like it has a plate, so ordering from overseas shouldn't be a problem...

Not in stock yet....https://www.corbetts.com/2021-rossignol-experience-80-ci-womens-skis-w-xp-11-gw-bindings/

I personally don't like the Head Joy's. I find them soft. I need to get back out on the Rossi line as I'm looking for an all mountain. Had the Brahma 82 out at Lake Louise and fell in love with them. I need to thin the quiver first before I buy something else. Hopefully as things open up the used stores with be busy.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't know too much about the specific skis unfortunately (though I have demoed the wider Head Total Joy and thought it was a ton of fun) but just a couple of NZ specific comments:

I'm not sure what length you're looking for in a Temptation/Experience but I see someone currently has a 2019 Experience 80c on Trademe in 158cm. However from a quick google it looks like the shape of the ski has changed between the Temptation and the Experience, so this may not be an exact match.

Depending on where in NZ you live and ski - a lot of ski shops will let you take out a current-year ski to demo for a day, and then if you buy a ski from that shop, they will take the demo cost off the cost of the ski. I know my local ski shop will let you the credit the cost of up to three demo skis off the cost of a new ski, if you then buy a ski from them.

Depending how much money you're willing to spend and, again, where you ski (for demo availability) - C6 is a NZ ski brand based near Ruapehu which claims to make skis that ski well in NZ conditions. I've demoed the C6 Apollo and loved it. However their skis are fairly lightweight so you may want something heavier, as you mention seeking stability. (and they cost a bit more...)

Anyway - good luck with the ski hunt!!

alison wong

Angel Diva
I have 2017 Rossi Temp 80 in 160 length. Bought it without demoing, solely based on divas' (on this website) recommendations. I did not regret the purchase, it's been my only skis and I plan to use it many more years to come......
I bought it when I was a low intermediate and can see myself grow into it (main reason).

Got few compliments on the slopes about this skis, from ski patroller and someone I know is an advanced/expert skier.

If I recall, Rossi Temp. line was discontinued in 2018 (?) and replaced with the Experience line. I demoed Experience in Alta, personally, I'd still prefer the Temp line, Experience line felt different....
@contesstant mentioned the "structure" was different between Experience and Temptation.

As for Joy line, I demoed 4 yrs ago (before I bought the Rossi Temp) when i was a low intermediate. I did not like it. I can't say if it was the skis or it's my poor skill level back then.

My ski friend, she bought Temp line 2018 model, 84 wasit, 154 length. She needed new skis that time, tried mine and liked enough to get it. She said she plans to use it for at least 10 years.

I've been looking online on and off for the Temptation line since I bought mine in 2017. I haven't been able to find any availability for 80 waist 160 length. Whatever that's available out there, are "odd" sizes, either too short or too long in length. How tall are you? I think 84 waist will work also....

AJGS

Diva in Training
Some great replies and advice - thank you!

From your comments, I think you'd like the Temptation 80 more than the Absolut Joy.

I suspect that might be the case. To be honest, I'll be happy if I can get something close to the feeling I got with the Temptations. (Needle in a haystack?!)

I'm own the original Black Pearl (2011 version, very different from current BPs) and the Absolut Joy. I've demo'd the BP78, BP88, and BP98 in the last couple years. I can assure you that the BP line and the Head Joy line are quite different.

That difference is definitely a good thing from my perspective! :smile: The Black Pearls I demoed in 2016 just felt wrong for me from the get-go. I'm not sure if it's because I tried them after the Rossis and was expecting something different but the tips seemed to chatter about and the edge hold just wasn't as good. (To be fair, I skied them in the afternoon on some scraped groomers, so that probably didn't help.)

The Rossi Experience W Ci is available at least here in Canada. So it should be world wide.

I've been searching high and low here for the 80 waist but no one seems to have it in my size. I think Covid may be affecting stock deliveries but, in general, most NZ retailers seem to have the 84 rather than the 80 if they do have the Rossignol Experience in stock. I definitely seem to prefer a 75 - 80 waist so don't really want to go bigger if I can help it.

I personally don't like the Head Joy's. I find them soft.

I did wonder about this. As I'm quite small/light, I was initially biased towards trying softer skis thinking they would suit my frame and weight better when I moved to parabolics but, actually, when it comes down to it, I seem to ski better with a medium flex - probably a hangover from learning on the old solid straights where you really had to work to engage yourself into the turn.

I'm not sure what length you're looking for in a Temptation/Experience but I see someone currently has a 2019 Experience 80c on Trademe in 158cm. However from a quick google it looks like the shape of the ski has changed between the Temptation and the Experience, so this may not be an exact match.

I did lurk on that listing over the weekend :smile:. And thanks for the C6 heads up - I'm going to the South Island mid- August but will hopefully be able to cram in a weekend at Ruapehu before the end of the season.

If I recall, Rossi Temp. line was discontinued in 2018 (?) and replaced with the Experience line. I demoed Experience in Alta, personally, I'd still prefer the Temp line, Experience line felt different....
@contesstant mentioned the "structure" was different between Experience and Temptation.
As for Joy line, I demoed 4 yrs ago (before I bought the Rossi Temp) when i was a low intermediate. I did not like it. I can't say if it was the skis or it's my poor skill level back then.
How tall are you? I think 84 waist will work also....

I have wondered how different the Temptation and Experience are. And really good to get the feedback on the Joys versus the Temptations - that's a huge help having the direct comparison. Re. height, I'm 5'4 (166cm).

After all that, I think I'm still on the fence re. the Absolute. The other ski that caught my eye was the Volkl Flair but it's only available as a 150 and 160 locally. Has anyone tried/demoed this model?

Jilly

Staff member
The intense is a craving ski. Totally different than Exp w. Does great on icier terrain. In the Dynastar line, look at the 4 x 4's or the older Legends. They are cousins to the Rossi Exp W. Same company.

marzNC

Angel Diva
After all that, I think I'm still on the fence re. the Absolute. The other ski that caught my eye was the Volkl Flair but it's only available as a 150 and 160 locally. Has anyone tried/demoed this model?
Sorry, one more possible: Dynastar Intense 10?
It's very hard to tease out the differences between models in the same category from written reviews only. But at the same time, it's less likely that you would hate any one of the choices.

I generally don't like Volkl skis. Took stiff I think. That applied to the Flair 78 @148 that I took for a couple demo runs a few years ago. The only Volkl that I've liked was the Yumi, which is 84 underfoot. I really couldn't turn the Volkl skis I demo'd as an improving intermediate. After becoming an advanced skier, I can turn them but it takes concentration and what I want in skis is fun, not work.

For Dynastar I've mostly tested or rented their powder skis in the Rockies. They are similar to Rossi, so I like them. I took a short run or two on the Intense 10 in 2017. The 153cm was too long, but the 146cm was fun. With a Turn Radius of 11.0, easier to do short turns. There were a couple of women who were ski instructors who really liked the Intense 10. They weren't as petite as I am but they weren't that tall either.

For what it's worth, my first pair of skis bought after 2004 were 75 underfoot. I was skiing mostly at small hills on manmade snow. My next pair of skis were the original BPs, 88mm. But those were bought to use in the Rockies on soft snow. It wasn't until the entire BP line was revamped that the BP88 was good for snow conditions typical in the northeast. By 2017, the BP88 was quite fun even on hard snow.

AJGS

Diva in Training
So, after speaking today with a very helpful ski shop, I have narrowed it down to two skis, neither of which are a Head. Go figure!

I deliberately didn't tell them I was considering the Absolut Joy to see what they'd suggest and they went through a very thorough review of my skiing style, ability, places skied, etc., but also made me detail my 'retired and current flotilla' (as they put it) including skis I'd demoed, and asked me to tell them what I liked and didn't like about each one. I was really interested to see what they'd match me with and their number one pick was from the same group you suggested @Jilly - the Dynastar Intense 4x4 82. Number two was the Fischer RC One 78 GT W. (They did touch on the Experience but thought it might not suit as it rides (in their words) different to the Temptation and I'd probably not like it as much.) The only catch now is size. They only have the Intense left in a 164 and are unsure if I might be a little too light for it. The 156 is sold out with them, although I have found it in stock with another seller here. Not sure which size to go for ... I've read a few reviews of ladies shorter than me going for the 164, but I can't find anyone of my weight reviewing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
They only have the Intense left in a 164 and are unsure if I might be a little too light for it. The 156 is sold out with them, although I have found it in stock with another seller here. Not sure which size to go for ...
You had 180cm straight skis. You're 5'4 and about 100 lbs. You were skiing a lot before the hiatus. You have a family who skis. My guess is that you may be better off choosing 164cm, even if that means a bit of an adjustment to start with. A lesson or two could help.

My quiver bought in the last decade ranges in length from 148cm to 160cm. I've skied rented powder skis that were mid-160s. I enjoyed demo'ing the BP88 @145cm (only groomers open at Taos), much to my surprise. My straight skis as an intermediate who couldn't make parallel turns were 170cm (still in the closet, bought around 1981).

Longer skis are more stable at speed. Shorter skis are easier to turn. There is no wrong answer for which to choose. :smile:

AJGS

Diva in Training
Update: So, after a bit more chatting with the shop, I have gone for (drumroll) ... the Fischer RC One 78 GT W in a 157. They should be winging their way to my mailbox next week, and will be flying back south again with me mid-August to Coronet Peak (a field I haven't skied in quite a few years now). Triumph or disaster? :yardsale: I will report back my findings. :-)

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update: So, after a bit more chatting with the shop, I have gone for (drumroll) ... the Fischer RC One 78 GT W in a 157. They should be winging their way to my mailbox next week, and will be flying back south again with me mid-August to Coronet Peak (a field I haven't skied in quite a few years now). Triumph or disaster? :yardsale: I will report back my findings. :-)

Congratulations on the new skis!! :smile: I hope they're fantastic! Looks like the south island might get a top up of snow between now and mid August too, so hopefully you'll have some good skiing conditions to test them out :smile: the shop sounds really helpful, out of interest which shop was it? (fellow kiwi, always useful to know what places are good haha)

I know it's not important but I looked up the skis and I reckon they look pretty rad too. Enjoy and update with some photos from Coronet Peak!

AJGS

Diva in Training
Congratulations on the new skis!! :smile: I hope they're fantastic! Looks like the south island might get a top up of snow between now and mid August too, so hopefully you'll have some good skiing conditions to test them out :smile: the shop sounds really helpful, out of interest which shop was it? (fellow kiwi, always useful to know what places are good haha)

Very excited to try them out. :-) Re. the shop, it was Gnomes in Darfield. Both Andrew and Leith looked after me and they were great. Very patient and helpful, talked me through the pros and cons of each choice and in reference to other things I'd skied. (There are a few shops here in Auckland that are pretty good but sometimes it depends who you get looking after you. The service with Gnomes was very personal and detailed and they weren't pushy.)

I'm hoping that with the school holidays over Coronet will be a bit less crowded; apparently it was absolutely nuts over the break. (I've skied some of the smaller fields over the last few years, which I have really loved, so a crowd might be a shock :-) Having said that, there will be 11 of us skiing together, so we're a crowd on our own! Roundhill is my most recent discovery - lovely runs with minimal crowds.

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Very excited to try them out. :-) Re. the shop, it was Gnomes in Darfield. Both Andrew and Leith looked after me and they were great. Very patient and helpful, talked me through the pros and cons of each choice and in reference to other things I'd skied. (There are a few shops here in Auckland that are pretty good but sometimes it depends who you get looking after you. The service with Gnomes was very personal and detailed and they weren't pushy.)

I'm hoping that with the school holidays over Coronet will be a bit less crowded; apparently it was absolutely nuts over the break. (I've skied some of the smaller fields over the last few years, which I have really loved, so a crowd might be a shock :-) Having said that, there will be 11 of us skiing together, so we're a crowd on our own! Roundhill is my most recent discovery - lovely runs with minimal crowds.

Awesome!! Gnomes is actually my boot fit shop :smile: Ally, Leith and Andrew are all fantastic and knowledgable. They spent many hours last year helping me out with boot fit issues (difficult feet). In fact i ended up going there after getting sub-par service from another shop. I called Gnomes and they gave me so much free advice over the phone - without being pushy - that I felt totally confident going to them and buying boots from them! glad to hear you also got great service.

Oh, I must try out Roundhill sometime, I've heard good things about it from others too :smile: lately I've been skiing Porters a bit, i don't think I've waited in a lift line at all there so far! It's a revelation, I'm used to the giant crowds at Hutt hehe

AJGS

Diva in Training
I really like Porters, too. And it's great with the kids; very laid back and not too many people. Roundhill has a similar friendly vibe but more of an open feel to it. Again, really good if you have smaller people - not too many places for them to ski into trouble. (I can always remember my mum freaking out endlessly that my brothers and I would miss the turn for Dog Leg on Whakapapa and end up going down the Waterfall when we were skiing by ourselves as kids ...)

The other place I have not skied since I was a kid is Mt. Dobson. I can remember absolutely loving it, although the the snow cover was epic that particular year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly