• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Rossi Temptation 80

ElleJ

Diva in Training
Hi, I'm new to this group. I'm in my early 60's, 5'5, and 135lbs. I have some physical limitations from various knee and back surgeries. I would like a good solid ski that is stable, narrower in the waist that can handle the groomers, some off-piste and the afternoon hard pack crud. I've demo'd the Rossi Temptation 84, 146cm, and I loved it, but it was just a little to wide for my physical limitations. The best size for me is a 151cm / 80 waist. I really would like to try the Rossi Temptation 80 - 152cm.

Does anyone have any info as to where I might find them to try? I am open to other suggestions for a good solid, stable ski. I ski the Colorado EPIC resorts, Winter Park, and Steamboat. Thanks for any help! ElleJ

Jilly

Staff member
The Rossi Temptation is rockered tip and tail. Unless your limitations are the reason at 5'5 and 135 you should be closer to the 160 mark. I have the 88's, 5'4 and 150lb and mine are the 163. I would think the 152 would be a little squirrelly at speed on the groomers and not long enough for off piste for you. So demo, but try different sizes too.

ElleJ

Diva in Training
The Rossi Temptation is rockered tip and tail. Unless your limitations are the reason at 5'5 and 135 you should be closer to the 160 mark. I have the 88's, 5'4 and 150lb and mine are the 163. I would think the 152 would be a little squirrelly at speed on the groomers and not long enough for off piste for you. So demo, but try different sizes too.

Thanks Jilly. Yes, my physical limitations are the reason for the sizing. I'm an intermediate skier. I also move the binding forward, which helps to cut down on the torque on my knee. All that being said, I'm still skiing!!!!!

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yesterday you missed Outdoor Divas demo day at Loveland. For the price of a discounted lift ticket you get to demo a variety of women's skis in a variety of lengths. The next demo day will be Thursday March 2. They also have demo days on Saturdays at Vail. Check their website for the dates. Outdoor Divas.com. This is a woman's only shop located in Boulder and Vail. The women employees demo the skis and are very knowledgeable about them.

My friend is in your size range, older and skis blue groomers. Yesterday she skied comfortably on the Temptation 84 in a 154 length. She also liked the Nordica Belle 88 in a 153. This was her first experience on newer, wider skis. She skis the K2 Lotta Luv.

Obrules15

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi, I'm new to this group. I'm in my early 60's, 5'5, and 135lbs. I have some physical limitations from various knee and back surgeries. I would like a good solid ski that is stable, narrower in the waist that can handle the groomers, some off-piste and the afternoon hard pack crud. I've demo'd the Rossi Temptation 84, 146cm, and I loved it, but it was just a little to wide for my physical limitations. The best size for me is a 151cm / 80 waist. I really would like to try the Rossi Temptation 80 - 152cm.

Does anyone have any info as to where I might find them to try? I am open to other suggestions for a good solid, stable ski. I ski the Colorado EPIC resorts, Winter Park, and Steamboat. Thanks for any help! ElleJ

I would look at skis even narrower if I were you. There are a lot of lightweight carvers out there (The SuperJoy at 75mm, Elan Insomnia at 73mm are two I'm familiar with) that *might* be even easier on your knees. I don't know for sure but don't limit yourself on the narrower side if you've already found you have happier knees at a somewhat narrower ski.

I happily sacrifice stability at higher speeds for happy knees that I can keep skiing on day after day. I ski on 72mm Elan Insomnias that are 152cm and I skied them on A-Basin groomers all last week with nary a problem, including 3" of fresh snow.

I'm not saying that's ideal, I'm just saying don't overlook something that might feel enough better to you to keep you on the slopes longer, even if it isn't ideal.

Liquid Yellow

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the Temptation 80s (in 160cm) and they are super easy to ski, they really do all the work for you! Very very easy to turn.

Have fun demoing and welcome to the forum! x

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I demo'd a 153 Nordica Belle 78 (2018) recently and found it quite delightful - didn't feel as "short" as the same length Head Super Joy. Pleasant, solid ski. Worth considering.

ElleJ

Diva in Training
Yesterday you missed Outdoor Divas demo day at Loveland. For the price of a discounted lift ticket you get to demo a variety of women's skis in a variety of lengths. The next demo day will be Thursday March 2. They also have demo days on Saturdays at Vail. Check their website for the dates. Outdoor Divas.com. This is a woman's only shop located in Boulder and Vail. The women employees demo the skis and are very knowledgeable about them.

My friend is in your size range, older and skis blue groomers. Yesterday she skied comfortably on the Temptation 84 in a 154 length. She also liked the Nordica Belle 88 in a 153. This was her first experience on newer, wider skis. She skis the K2 Lotta Luv.

Thanks! I'll check out Outdoor Divas :-)

ElleJ

Diva in Training

ElleJ

Diva in Training
Ok, so I have a torn PCL which affects the stability and torque that I can tolerate from a longer, wider ski. Yes, most people tear their ACL, but I tore my PCL - the posterior cruciate ligament in the the back of the knee that keeps it stable.

misfitgirl

Angel Diva
I'm really interested in the Temptation line and looking to demo them. Hoping I'll have some choice in width as I'm really curious too feel how the narrow vs. wide makes a difference in the feel of the ski. Anyone else tried this line in different widths?

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I haven’t demo’d the 80 but I have been on the 82 (since expanded to 84) and 88. I now own the 84. I’ve liked and enjoyed all the Temptations. The demos of the 82 and 88 were prior to the honeycomb tip (which reduces tip weight). I still liked them : ) Took the 88's down a steep bump run, and they performed admirably.

The 84 is a jack of all trades for sidecut. It’s light, lively, short turn radius (+-13 @ 162?). I’m very happy with them in Maine conditions for all but powder (rare, as you know) and boilerplate (Volkl does better).

Other skis with these dimensions that are worthy: Head Total Joy, Volkl Yumi, Nordica Belle series (unsure of widths now, there are several). I have tried and enjoyed all. (Ha, guess I’m not too fussy? :becky:)

marzNC

Angel Diva
I'm really interested in the Temptation line and looking to demo them. Hoping I'll have some choice in width as I'm really curious too feel how the narrow vs. wide makes a difference in the feel of the ski. Anyone else tried this line in different widths?
I've demo'd the Temptation 80, 84, and 88 in recent years. Pretty much like them all but would buy based on the region and conditions that would be most common, if I were in the market. Not knowledgeable enough to describe the differences in feel between the different widths. Obviously the fact that each width has a different Turn Radius would make them act differently on short, medium, and wide turns. Note that turn radius depends on length.

From the Rossi catalog for 2017:
Temptation 84, 133/84/120
170cm, R14.0m, 150+ lbs
162cm, R13.0m, 130-149 lbs
154cm, R11.0m, 110-129 lbs
146cm, R10.0m, 90-109 lbs

The Temptation 84 was fun on soft bumps at Sunday River at their Demo Day in early Dec. I was on the 154cm, I'm 5'0", 110 lbs, older, advanced.

Jilly

Staff member
Demo day tomorrow. I'll grab them if I can. I have the 88, so it could be interesting.

misfitgirl

Angel Diva
Thanks for the info ladies! My local ski shop is out of the Temptations and I have tried a Volkl Flair 75 and Yumis 81, but the I had trouble staying in front of the Yumis if that makes sense. The Flairs seemed fine but it was a lot of work to stay forward on the Yumi's and I felt like I was less consistent in finding the edges, so I'm looking into how those two skis are constructed to understand the physics piece. A shop an hour away has the Temptations and I am trying to arrange a demo. I want something that will help me get technique down (okay, I know this is a lifetime to master kind of sport so maybe that's a reach!) and set me up for progressing. I was skiing here in Maine, the Flairs were on well groomed snow, the Yumi's on groomed with a few inches of powder on top. Right now I am trying to build confidence and knowledge, and it sounds like the Temptations might be the way to go for now.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I have some additional information on the Temptation 84 that may interest you. DH and I switched skis yesterday, just for fun (he’s a small, light man), as he’d not had a chance to figure out the Rossi’s.

We came to the same conclusion: the skis are great ONCE you get CENTERED and stay there. They have a rather small “sweet spot,” as it’s called. They don’t want to be shovel pressured - and, obviously, back-seat is no.

Given this lower level of forgiveness, I’m not sure this is your ski, especially if you didn’t like the Yumi, which has a greater sweet spot and is more forgiving.

Pretty sure Volkl Flairs have metal layer. Yumis do not. Don’t quote me on this. I just jump on skis and go, research later.

Have you tried either the Head Absolut or Total Joy? Either might be a contender.

I’m same stats as you, roughly. DH is heavier. He’s an expert, I’m advanced. Thought you’d like this double-input update on the Temp 84. I do love them for me - he enjoyed, but he needs a longer ski (mine are 162). Switch-ski day was yesterday at Sugarloaf, 4" new, packed powder, cold.

misfitgirl

Angel Diva
Thank you, Maine Ski Lady, for the additional info. I have to admit, trying the different skis and seeing how they work, understanding the differences in construction and how they behave is kind of fascinating to me. I really appreciate the input!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly