• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Roof Box Recommendation?

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Does anyone have a ski-specific cargo box that they really like? I feel like a lot of reviews talk about flimsiness, inconvenience opening the box, and weak security. I'm willing to spend some money if it's worth it. It's hard to find reliable reviews; appreciate any feedback!

(Looking at replacing my beloved-but-aging VW wagon with a Crosstrek or Forester, and I want to avoid storing skis inside the vehicle.)

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Friend has Thule cargo box on top of her Forester. You wouldn't believe how much it holds! We had four pairs of skis and poles, soft luggage, food, and ski boots....

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
We don’t have ski-specific. We have the Thule Force Motion Force XT (OMG when will I get it right?). We were limited in the box models we could get because of my tall husband and his required ski length. LOL.

I love it. It doesn’t feel flimsy. It can feel a bit weird when it isn’t clamped to the rack, but when it’s clamped it is ON. We leave it on all winter and it has handled a lot of snow, etc. Bonus, we plan to use it this summer when we go fishing, because we can put poles/chairs/etc up there.

But this is for sure the one we have:

Last edited:

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I used to have a Yakima Skybox Lo Carbonite (ex kept it). It’s not particularly tall, so the car would still fit in the garage with it on.

I now have a Subaru Crosstrek that just got its first test in dicey un-plowed parking lot conditions. X-mode was a big help. I didn’t want a box for it and got a Yakima Fat Cat Evo 6 ski rack.

Regardless of the rack/box you choose, I recommend getting a cheap folding step stool to be able to reach inside!

Luvs2ski

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We don’t have ski-specific. We have the Thule Force Motion Force XT (OMG when will I get it right?). We were limited in the box models we could get because of my tall husband and his required ski length. LOL.

I love it. It doesn’t feel flimsy. It can feel a bit weird when it isn’t clamped to the rack, but when it’s clamped it is ON. We leave it on all winter and it has handled a lot of snow, etc. Bonus, we plan to use it this summer when we go fishing, because we can put poles/chairs/etc up there.

But this is for sure the one we have:
I have the same one and have had it for about 5 years. The lock mechanism can be tricky, when it’s cold (I broke my key trying to force it into the frozen lock). Otherwise, the box is the answer to keeping skis out of the car and can def for a lot of gear. I put a big blanket on the bottom to lay skis on. We use it on the summer, have fit golf clubs, beach gear, etc. it’s just a pain to take on/off the car. My car (Subaru Ascent) won’t fit in garage with the box on.

marzNC

Angel Diva
My friends who live in Lake Placid have a Thule box with the quick mount system. They had the older version before. I've seen how easy it is to release with the quick mount system. They use it on more than one vehicle.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We have a Yakima Skybox we've had for a long time now and no issues/complaints with it.

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Yakima sky box here too but have to put it on and take it off and that’s a two person job. WD 40 for the key boxes. Have to pay attention to the key boxes and keep them in good shape… have extras (both keys and key boxes) as well. It’s pretty great.

BlizzardBabe

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really wanted a Thule, but I commute downtown DC and there is no way my vehicle + box will fit in any downtown parking garage. Something to consider if you ever have to access a conventional parking garage during ski season (parking garages at ski areas, of course, take this into consideration and have higher clearances).

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I really wanted a Thule, but I commute downtown DC and there is no way my vehicle + box will fit in any downtown parking garage. Something to consider if you ever have to access a conventional parking garage during ski season (parking garages at ski areas, of course, take this into consideration and have higher clearances).
I think Stratton is the only ski area I've ever been to that had a parking garage; never thought of that! I have roof mounts for my bikes and live in the land of covered bridges; so far I'm pretty good at clearance-awareness! :-)

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I now have a Subaru Crosstrek that just got its first test in dicey un-plowed parking lot conditions. X-mode was a big help. I didn’t want a box for it and got a Yakima Fat Cat Evo 6 ski rack.
Yeah, that sort of thing (and that I live on the side of a mountain) are why I'm going with a Subie! Though I have to say, I've lived in Vermont for five years with front-wheel-drive. Aggressive, non-studded winter tires have been excellent in every condition except for the one time a couple of years ago when we got like four feet of snow overnight. That's the first and only time I've used chains, and it was only to get up the last 200 yards to my house. As they say, AWD helps ya go, it doesn't always help ya slow :-)

I'm also 5'9" and with a sta-wag (vs. an suv) loading stuff on the roof is easy peasy. I foresee keeping the box on the roof most of the year.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a yakima box on my xtrek. The 2 sided hinge broke. The locks froze. Graphite helped with locks. Box is great if u r a fair weather skier. In a storm defrosting lock+ opening - closing box not so fun. Put a cheap yoga mat in the box to prevent sliding in the box. U should not store skis in box cuz edge rust. Keeping the box on increase ur gas consumption.

beane

Certified Ski Diva
We've had both Yakima and thule and I think the yakima has been a smidge better? but both are great for extra room. Currently have the yakima skybox and even though we leave skis at the hill in a locker the box is great for when we have dogs in the trunk and need to put small luggage on roof. It does make the drive noisier and uses up extra fuel, though.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I had a yakima box on my xtrek. The 2 sided hinge broke. The locks froze. Graphite helped with locks. Box is great if u r a fair weather skier. In a storm defrosting lock+ opening - closing box not so fun. Put a cheap yoga mat in the box to prevent sliding in the box. U should not store skis in box cuz edge rust. Keeping the box on increase ur gas consumption.
Good to know, and the yoga mat suggestion is great!

Lmk92

Angel Diva
We also have a Yakima skybox. It flew open on a bridge last year when my son and his friends took a trip west. I'm going to take the blame on that one because I suspect we bent the hinge and never really investigated for years. It got tricky to close, and apparently the person who closed it wasn't aware of the issue. My husband was able to fix it, and now it works perfectly!

Like2Ski

Angel Diva
I’m pretty sure I have the Thule Motion XT L. It’s the glossy one and it opens on both sides which is very helpful. I would highly recommend one that opens on both sides. Makes it so much easier!

Also, the key won’t come out until it is locked, which is a nice security feature.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have an INNO box on my car. It is low profile and a snowboard will not fit in it. When I got my current vehicle, I told my husband that whatever we got needed to fit in the garage with the box on it.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yeah, that sort of thing (and that I live on the side of a mountain) are why I'm going with a Subie! Though I have to say, I've lived in Vermont for five years with front-wheel-drive. Aggressive, non-studded winter tires have been excellent in every condition except for the one time a couple of years ago when we got like four feet of snow overnight. That's the first and only time I've used chains, and it was only to get up the last 200 yards to my house. As they say, AWD helps ya go, it doesn't always help ya slow :-)

I'm also 5'9" and with a sta-wag (vs. an suv) loading stuff on the roof is easy peasy. I foresee keeping the box on the roof most of the year.
Are you getting a Crosstrek? If so, just a heads up, the Skybox (at least the one we have - it's kinda long and narrow) *just* fits on my Crosstrek. Like you have to get it just right so the back hatch still opens while the box is on, and I still think it runs into the box a bit. It's doable and not insanely difficult to get on, but does take a bit of positioning to get it just right. No issues on H's Outback or his previous Forester. Crosstrek is just not the longest vehicle and box is a bit on the long side. Just something to keep in mind. I think Yakima has shorter models than the one we have.

gr8outdoors

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Are you getting a Crosstrek? If so, just a heads up, the Skybox (at least the one we have - it's kinda long and narrow) *just* fits on my Crosstrek. Like you have to get it just right so the back hatch still opens while the box is on, and I still think it runs into the box a bit. It's doable and not insanely difficult to get on, but does take a bit of positioning to get it just right. No issues on H's Outback or his previous Forester. Crosstrek is just not the longest vehicle and box is a bit on the long side. Just something to keep in mind. I think Yakima has shorter models than the one we have.
Good point! My box is too long for a Crosstrek.

leia1979

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good point! My box is too long for a Crosstrek.
I learned this is a problem with long skis, too. My husband rented 170s, so not even that long, and I had to reposition the roof rack all the way forward so the hatch wouldn't hit the skis when open.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna