• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Roces adjustable jr ski boot for 18 yr old?

elephantseal2

Certified Ski Diva
I found a pair of roces adjustable jr boots second hand that come with 146cm K2 amp jsl jr skis and tyriola sx 7.5 bindings. The boots can adjust from mondo 22.5-25.5 (i've linked the boot and ski below). When I rent skis, they give me 130cm skis and 23.5-24 boots.

I'm quite petite and I've stopped growing (i'm 18), 162cm tall and 52-55 kg. I'm a beginner skier and only ski green/blue resort slopes (not agressively) ~1 week every winter.

I'm a student so on a bit of a budget and wondering whether its worth getting these boots? I also have a 12 yr old brother whos still growing (48kg and 148 cm tall, same street shoe size as me) who i could also share these boots with too. Would it be alright for me to use these?

Thanks for any input :smile:
Boots: https://www.evo.com/outlet/alpine-ski-boots/roces-idea-free-adjustable-225-255-kids

Skis: https://www.levelninesports.com/k2-indy-jsl-12-skis-premounted-w-d4-5-bindings-100cm/

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! What region do you ski in?

Everything I've read about Roces is for little kids. I'm your size, in fact a bit more petite . . . and have been since I was a teen, now in my 60s. My daughter was/is also petite. I didn't have her use junior gear after she was about 10.

Even though you are a beginner, 100cm is way too short. The first skis I bought when I started skiing more often as my daughter learned to ski were around 140cm. I learned the basics of skiing long age in middle school but was pretty much a low intermediate 15 years ago. The skis I bought a few years later when we were skiing about 15 days (3 ski trips) were mid-150s. You should probably be looking at skis in the 140s.

elephantseal2

Certified Ski Diva
Hi thanks for replying, I ski in australia and the skis im looking at are youth 146cm in length. Yeah i've also only heard of kids and teens using roces jr boots but i've also heard others say that women with smaller feet can get away with using a jr boot.

elephantseal2

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome! What region do you ski in?

Everything I've read about Roces is for little kids. I'm your size, in fact a bit more petite . . . and have been since I was a teen, now in my 60s. My daughter was/is also petite. I didn't have her use junior gear after she was about 10.

Even though you are a beginner, 100cm is way too short. The first skis I bought when I started skiing more often as my daughter learned to ski were around 140cm. I learned the basics of skiing long age in middle school but was pretty much a low intermediate 15 years ago. The skis I bought a few years later when we were skiing about 15 days (3 ski trips) were mid-150s. You should probably be looking at skis in the 140s.
Oh, sorry i just realised the ski i linked below is 100cm. The actual skis im looking at are 146cm but theyre the same model as the skis ive linked

elephantseal2

Certified Ski Diva
Sorry, but you need adult stuff. The boots are going to be too soft and the so for the skis.
Thank you, I might just get them for my younger brother instead then. I'm also looking at a pair of nordica olympia gts 8 adult boots tomorrow which will probably be more suitable for me.

Jilly

Staff member
I would go with the reply you got over on SkiTalk. Buy boots for yourself and rent/hire skis for the week. The Diva's mantra is marry your boots, date your skis.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Hi thanks for replying, I ski in australia and the skis im looking at are youth 146cm in length. Yeah i've also only heard of kids and teens using roces jr boots but i've also heard others say that women with smaller feet can get away with using a jr boot.
There is a difference between a junior boot and the Roces approach.

While you are petite, you really are not the same as a tween that junior gear is designed for. There are a lot of differences between boots and skis that go way beyond size. Junior gear is made of materials that are much cheaper since kids rarely can use boots or skis for more than a year or two. Adult gear is designed to last for 5-10 years for someone who is a recreational skier who doesn't ski that many days each season.

Do you have a home ski resort? I started following the Perisher and Thredbo threads on the Aussie ski forum a couple years ago. Fun to see all the pictures of snowy slopes during the N. American summer.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You need adult boots. Those will be far too soft and a false economy since they are likely to limit your progress. Even with only a week each winter you will make progress. You're better to hire for another season or two, then get your own new boots fitted in a store, or at the very least measure up your foot properly and then have a look around online. I'm not sure what the state of boot fitting is like where you live, but if it's as dire as most of NZ tends to be you may be better off lurking in ski forums and reading about how ski boots should fit even before you head to a shop.

I'm 157cm, anywhere between 50-54kg and need adult gear as well as preferring skis closer to my height (154-158cm) as an intermediate skiier attempting to overcome the plateau into advanced. My understanding is that usually the only situation where adult women are recommended to use "junior" gear is generally with race gear for foot size/leg length issues, or junior race skis, as opposed to gear designed for beginning tweenagers. With a BSL of 23.5 you are safely in a women's boot range, and still may well be fine if you end up needing a 22.5 unless you have particularly low volume feet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna