• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Roaming Solo as a Woman

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I haven't done a lot of solo travel, sadly, but I've always wanted to. I have done a fair bit of travel with friends, all female trips and lots of road trips etc by myself but usually to meet people somewhere. That being said, I have found that as a married woman, I often recieve the surprised 'Oh you're travelling without your husband!' comments. My husband doesn't like to travel to some of the places that I do, so if I were to say take a trip to Europe, that would be by myself or with a friend.

Additionally, now that I have young children, one of my biggest fantasies/dreams is to take a solo trip somewhere. I would love to do a small backpacking trip or something by myself, the solitude sounds wonderfully healing at this point in my life.

Skier31

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few years ago I went to what I call "Buddha Camp". It was a week long introduction to meditation at Spirit Rock in Marin County. Spectacular place. I went by myself and there was no talking for the whole week. We had lots of time to hike on the grounds. It was so relaxing and peaceful.

After reading this thread, I realize I travel better alone as I get to do what I want and don't have to worry about whether others are having a good time. I have done several Backroads Biking trips. What I like about those trips is that I can ride by myself during the day with the knowledge that there is a van to pick me up if I have problems and people to have dinner with in the evening. The people on the trips are usually very friendly and fun, so it is a nice combination.

Tennessee

Angel Diva
Not sure what I want to add to all this but it's a very interesting thread. Next week I plan to join SallyCat for a few days at Mammoth and I am traveling to California alone. So glad you are having such a great trip Cat lady! I am extremely excited to visit California again -- especially the mountains. Since I'm a never married 63 yo I have done my share of traveling alone. I've lived in Vermont, California, New Mexico and Colorado and I travelled to those places alone. Traveling alone is just what I've always done so seems very normal to me. If you like to travel and you are not in a relationship then you are often going to be traveling alone whether you like it or not. Especially as you get older. I've even backpacked alone (as someone mentioned they would like to do) in Yosemite high country and that was strange and unforgettable. Lots of interesting thoughts here and I'm enjoying reading all your responses. I do think at least some of the incredulity might be envy SallyCat. And it is very freeing to get to make all your own decisions. That said, it can be lonely too. So here's to excellent travel companions or meeting interesting strangers!

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A few years ago I went to what I call "Buddha Camp". It was a week long introduction to meditation at Spirit Rock in Marin County. Spectacular place. I went by myself and there was no talking for the whole week. We had lots of time to hike on the grounds. It was so relaxing and peaceful.

Oh! That reminds me - I did fly out to the Omega Institute a few years ago, solo, to attend a weekend retreat with Pema Chodron. I seemed to be the only person there without a friend - although now that I think back, there was at least one other person.

I didn't feel lonely during the silent 24 hours. But I did once the silence was lifted ... I chatted with people, and everyone was nice, but I did feel a little out of sorts. I wouldn't have felt lonely if I'd been alone, if that makes sense?

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
90% of my trips are solo trips. I like it that way. Granted most of my travel in in the U.S./Canada so I'm not dealing with any language barriers (which are scary to me).
I can relate to people being surprised when you tell them you're either planning to travel alone or are traveling alone. The reaction is usually something like "BY YOURSELF!!!???? Wow, I could never do that." Some people ask if you're afraid--my response is usually something like "of what?" with an amused expression on my face.

Before they were married both my parents used to take trips by themselves, so I guess it's not very unusual or weird to do so in my family.

I like solo travel because I'm a control freak who loves scheduling and keeping a very full schedule. My style of travel is not for everyone. Many would find it too regimented and exhausting. But this way I get to do exactly what I want and when I want. I never have any complaints or feel I have to compromise to make someone else happy. I have a friend who keeps insisting on going on trips with groups of people and she always without fail, comes back feeling unsatisfied and unhappy with how the trip went. I've told her a zillion times she should just go by herself and do what she wants but she just does not seem to be able to do it. I don't think I've ever come back from a trip feeling the way she does. Granted--not everything always goes exactly according to plan and sometimes you have to skip something you wanted to do because of unforeseen circumstances out of your control--but that happens in life in general too. Dining alone has never bothered me, and the older I get the more self possessed I get; I used to do like SallyCat suggests and eat extra early/off hours, but now I just eat at whatever time I choose. I despise eating at the bar so I always get a table. In fact, when I'm on vacation I tend to order a lot of food anyway so I can try everything (drink, app, entrée, dessert) so what I order tends to be on par cost-wise with what a couple often orders, as I've observed most people don't get dessert and many skip the appetizer--so if the server doesn't like a single diner, tough darts. They are getting a solid meal order from me. I haven't had too many times when I feel like I've been given a bad table because I was by myself either, and the times when I really want a specific type of table (view etc), I make it clear I'm willing to wait for one to open up and they usually accommodate me. The squeaky wheel gets the grease--if you want something specific, speak up, your experience is just as important as a group or couple--at least that is my motto.

I've only had one time when I was "bothered" by a guy. I was watching a hula show on Waikiki and the guy next to me asked me a question (can't remember what it was). Eventually he asked me to dinner and I said no and walked away. He grabbed my hand and I wrenched it away and said something to the effect" we are walking right by the police station--do I need to go inside and ask them for assistance?" He quit following me then and I cut back through a hotel and circled around and continued watching the show! It was more obnoxious/annoying than scary. Jerk.

I'm currently planning a trip for Aug 2018 to Australia. That will be my first solo trip to another continent, but I figure that one should be relatively easy since at least English is spoken. If that goes well, I can do more solo foreign travel.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I traveled solo to Maui in April. DH just didn't want to go to Maui; I can't imagine why. It was so much fun!

But as a person who's been married for 42 years, it was lonely as well. It seemed that everyone I met was either honeymooning or celebrating an anniversary, including the couple I went to visit. I went SNUBA diving, snorkelling, on a bus trip, and of course did a lot of shopping alone. That part was enjoyable as I didn't have anyone second guessing my purchases.

I spent a lot of time chatting with everyone I met, which was also very enjoyable. I felt that I could take my time and go where I wanted to when I wanted to. If I wanted to eat, or to not eat, I didn't have to worry about what another person wanted to do.

I did get questioned a lot about where my husband was. I was unable to take a timeshare or other tour (probably a blessing!) because a married person not traveling with her mate is unlikely to purchase a property.

Overall it was a good experience. It made me realize that I could travel alone if I wished to in the future.

CarverJill

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I <3 this thread.

I feel like I still have a way to go in terms of being comfortable traveling alone. I'm totally fine eating in a restaurant alone. I may think twice about it if it was a fri or sat night for dinner though. I have dome a little bit of traveling on my own but usually had a friend to meet for all or parts of the trip. I'm mostly an extrovert so being quite and alone is really lonely. My husband isn't into traveling nearly as much as I am so nowadays I either bring my kids to do things or find a friend. I do love traveling with my kids but since they are only 3 and 4 years old bringing them involves a LOT more work. In time I know that will get easier though. When I read Eat Pray Love I wanted to travel to Italy on my own and do what she did. Maybe some day. I missed out on doing a semester abroad in college because at the time I was worried about missing my boyfriend too much. Stupid, I know!

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to meet other women who ski and get to travel. I realized that I wanted to do it and didn't know anyone who would do what I wanted to do with me. All three Diva West trips I have been on I have traveled alone and stayed with people I didn't really know. I feel like skiing is my best chance to get out on my own because its something I love and don't have a lot of travel companions from home who want to come with me as much as I want to go. I went on another ski trip last year with a big group of people I barely knew as well. I met lots of people and had an amazing time. I also did a long weekend in Mammoth over St. Pattys day. I stayed in a hostel and skied with Watergirl and another woman I had met a few months before in Mammoth. It turned out amazingly well. I had a great mix of socializing and doing stuff on my own. It was incredibly relaxing and very different from the constant demands from my kids at home.

I'm loving everyone's responses, its so great to hear all the different experiences.

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
I <3 this thread, too! And I find all of you solo travelers very inspiring -- particularly those who've traveled to foreign countries without knowing the language. That takes a lot of guts. My solo travel is very minimal, and I don't think I'd be brave enough for that.

I've always thought first-timers to Diva events are very courageous, too. It takes a brave soul to travel someplace to ski and stay with people you've only met on the internet. Granted, we're a good bunch and it's always gone well, but how do you know that for sure? So hats off to you, too!

Last edited:

Tvan

Angel Diva
About traveling when you don't know the language... nowadays, we have Google translate which has saved me several times in international business situations (assuming there is a Wi-Fi connection). I always try to learn to say a few words in the local language when I'm traveling abroad. I spent 16 weeks in China in 2012 with nothing but "ni-Hao" and "xie-xie" ... " hello" and "thank you". I also had a great app called Smart Shanghai which translated hotel and restaurant addresses into Chinese and English so you could communicate with taxi drivers.

Unless you're traveling very far off the beaten path, there are lots of language resources available for travelers these days. In the early 90s, not so much. I cried a lot for my first two weeks in Matsumoto. It was particularly difficult to not be able to read any street signs and I had nightmares about taking a wrong turn on my bicycle and getting lost. That never actually happened and in retrospect, that trip set the tone for many for future international excursions.

I traveled constantly for business in my prior job. I logged over 100,000 air miles in 2012 alone. Over a five year period, I was responsible for getting about 100 team members in and out of a variety of countries. From medical emergencies in the middle of the night to deportations on expired visas, I dealt with a lot of situations. Finding someone to translate medical terms from Chinese to English to Hindi at 2 am in a Shanghai hospital stands out, for example.

Its amazing how resourceful you become when you are not within your circle of comfort and you have no other option.

newboots

Angel Diva
@Tvan - you're amazing!

Actually all of you are amazing. I've traveled alone a lot for work, and generally just hung out with myself. I recommend traveling to Western Canada if you need help with not being alone. I went to Saskatchewan on 9/27/11 (yes, check the date). Flying was harrowing. Everybody was nervous.

The audience for my workshop was so warm and welcoming. And one of the hosts took me to his son's hockey tryouts. After he learned I was a fan/sorta player and had no plans for the second night, he invited me to the rink, and I had a chance to feel at home for the evening!

Somehow I was kind of elected to represent the US and receive the warm condolences and gentle appreciation of a few hundred Canadians. Nicest people - I know it's a stereotype. But they were!

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Its something I do frequently and its always been heaps of fun.
Same here.

Having traveled alone in my younger days, mostly due to not having met any like minded friends then, I figured out what makes solo travel fun. Even though I now have friends who often joined me on trips, I realized I don't meet as many strangers as when I'm traveling solo, which was part of the fun!

I now prefer to travel alone (and "go the long way"), and meet my friends at the various destinations I arrive at.

Don't recall much "reaction" from fellow travelers just because I'm a solo traveler. (but perhaps I got used to those reactions and consider them "normal"?)

About the only time I got the "surprise" attention was when I travel in India on my own. Men were at first uncomfortable with that knowledge. But their female companions have a tendency to invite me to join them and adopt me as part of their "family" (Indians seems to always travel in a big extended family of easily ~10 members. Tons of fun to be included)

I've met,made friends with and skied with some lovely people.Because I stay in cheap hostel type accommodation there are more often than not other solo travelers both male and female to meet and ski with.Sometimes its not my gender that illicits surprise but my age-and I have been a bit patronised by younger(male) skiers until they realise that I'm an ok skier.That's the thing that occaisionally bugs me as an older woman.Have an amazing time.
Although I'm a lot older than the typical hostel users, I never got any special attentions, positive or otherwise.

Last edited:

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The message that I am hearing is that there are positive aspects to pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, whatever that zone may be.

I am in a huge rut at work right now but am rationalizing why I should stay. This is a great reminder to explore.

I think most things worth doing are scary. Changing jobs has such a big, in some ways unknowable impact that it's easy to stay put ... a lot like relationships, maybe.

I spent almost 10 years at my last job as it got more and more demanding and stressful. Very much the frog in the simmering pot. When I finally left I couldn't believe the relief I felt, and I realized that I hadn't been learning new skills - and had been underpaid by at least 20%.

Tvan

Angel Diva
I spent almost 10 years at my last job as it got more and more demanding and stressful. Very much the frog in the simmering pot. When I finally left I couldn't believe the relief I felt, and I realized that I hadn't been learning new skills - and had been underpaid by at least 20%.

^^ WORD.

<thread hijack sorta>I could have written that same paragraph. I've been in a new job since November, and it is a world of difference...diff culture, diff attitudes, diff pay scale, diff work/life balance. Shaking things up once in a while is a good exercise.</end thread hijack>

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
On the work hijack: I left corporate America and retired 3.5 years ago. Best thing for my soul! I'm blessed to have the option to do it and take advantage.

I've done solo trips for years. I've driven back and forth across the US with two cats to take a job then have the whole thing collapse (new football league) in short order. It was quite the adventure and I learned a lot under pressure! Very worth doing.

I ski by myself more often than not. Just lets me go at my (slower) pace and not have a group hanging out waiting for me! I do have a lot of 'lodge' friends and one group that skis together one day a week. I took an apartment in VT by myself three years ago. I've been happy with that, too. Since I live solo (woman with cat ..... cliche or??!) in RI, the transition to winter is no big deal.

I do find a number of people are surprised to hear I'm out and about alone. Some get it after I explain. Others think it's sad, I'm sure. Not my problem! Only place being a one unit gives me trouble is sailing. And then only when I have to maneuver in and out at my dock. Luckily I race with a couple of people!

I believe this response has meandered far enough! Fun thread!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Wow you guys are very inspiring! I have flown to and stayed in foreign countries alone many times but have not traveled extensively alone for a period of time.
Yes, it was mentioned one can google translation but usually I'm not that quick. For instance, as many of you saw in another post, I was snowmobiled off a mountain in Champery, Switzerland which is very French. Ski patrol guys (2 of them) did not a speak a word of English. My French is so limited that I couldn't understand them at all. Now I'm getting invoices from the ski resort in French that I can translate as have time to do that!
I love what @SallyCat is doing! Also @Tvan 's and other posts! Great thread!

ling

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It's not for everyone, traveling solo or pushing one's comfort zone. Some got a kick out of the challenge and the adrenaline rush. Others enjoy the comfort of familiarity.

As a poster child of ADD, I envy those who enjoy themselves doing laps on the same trail day in and day out.

I suspect it's more to do with personality. (I see clear example, my Mom enjoys doing the same thing, my Dad gets restless if he's not in a crisis)

Tennessee

Angel Diva
The message that I am hearing is that there are positive aspects to pushing yourself out of your comfort zone, whatever that zone may be.

I am in a huge rut at work right now but am rationalizing why I should stay. This is a great reminder to explore.
Wow! Great insight...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna