• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Ripples on base?

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I brought in my skis for waxing and the tech pointed out to me that there is some rust damage on the base - to the point where it’s gotten under (?) the black base and creates what looks like ripples/ bubbles along the edge of the skis. He said it’s time for new skis.
Anyone familiar with this issue? How much would it affect my skiing experience? I’ve been skiing on them all season and haven’t really noticed anything wrong. But should I start looking for a replacement? Or can I live with it for a while?

I ski greens and light blues so I don’t really need anything super high performance.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
To be honest skiing on them today and they seem fine to me - but maybe I’m not discriminating enough of a skiier

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
That doesn't look good to me -but perhaps someone more experienced may also chime in. My understanding is that when rust has gotten in that far you risk delamination or the edge separating from the ski i.e. the ski could just fall apart on you at any time - including while skiing! So they might feel ok but they are a bit of a ticking time bomb...

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
These are 2018? Volkl flair Elite 76s - I assume if I buy the 2023 model it will be essentially the same ski right? Per the website the top, middle and bottom widths match

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Crap, I meant to have my husband the pro ski tech look at these but forgot! I had a pair of skis do that in one small spot several years ago and was told I had the wax iron too hot. But those definitely look to be done.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Here's a link to the skis currently available to demo at the Mountain Center in the Village. They can also access the list of what's available at Main Lodge. When I was looking for a demo ski in April, I found the employees to be very knowledgeable and helpful.

I also took a screen shot of the Volkl skis.

Of course you can check with other skis stores in town. In particular I know that Footloose is having a good sale.

Screenshot_20230508_061341_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@skibum4ever - I took your advice and brought the pair into footloose for a second opinion and they agreed that it was largely done - and that the bases were also pretty thin already due to tuning over the years - (I was surprised by this - I don’t think I’ve gotten a base grind more than once or twice in the 5 years I’ve had it. they also said the PTEX was lifting at the edges lightly and eventually catch on a rock or something. Anywho - I found the same pair in a 2022 model for a great price and it’s on the way. It has the same top/middle/bottom width specs so I’m hoping it will ski the same as this old pair which I’m super attached to.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contessant I would love to hear what your husband thinks. I’m planning to keep this around regardless - it’s the pair DH got me to chase away the bad juju after I tore my second ACL on my original Rossi temptations :P

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Glad to hear you moved on to a new pair. My biggest fear would be that the core was compromised and rotted, which in turn means the binding screws can rip out. Happened mid turn on an icy black run in Tahoe 25 years ago. It was not fun. I was sliding on my tush, tele binding still attached to my boot, but with no ski on.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@contessant I would love to hear what your husband thinks. I’m planning to keep this around regardless - it’s the pair DH got me to chase away the bad juju after I tore my second ACL on my original Rossi temptations :P
I wonder if you could repurpose them for display or furniture, so they could continue to chase away the bad juju from inside your house!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna