• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rip van Winkle wakes up and wants to ski

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I also took an involuntary break, but I've been back to skiing for 5 years now. As an, ahem, older Diva, I can tell you that it's better than ever. I'm in Saratoga Springs, NY, and if you ever want to get together to ski at Gore (or Killington or Okemo or ???), shoot me a PM and we will get together. BTW, next weekend, some Divas are coming up to Gore for the weekend Women's Clinic. Want to join in the fun?

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
I also took an involuntary break, but I've been back to skiing for 5 years now. As an, ahem, older Diva, I can tell you that it's better than ever. I'm in Saratoga Springs, NY, and if you ever want to get together to ski at Gore (or Killington or Okemo or ???), shoot me a PM and we will get together. BTW, next weekend, some Divas are coming up to Gore for the weekend Women's Clinic. Want to join in the fun?

Thank you! I am truly tempted by the Gore clinic, as I have a rare weekend off. It would take a LOT of effort, though, and I would need to rent equipment. I'm not especially keen to rent boots, I'm afraid, and--judging by other coments--my ancient boots might not withstand the workout.. But, I appreciate the invite. And I would be happy to let you know when I am headed north--it would be a great incentive to have someone to ski with sometimes!

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
I'm the minority here. I would go without helmet if just to substract one more thing that needs replacing!

I've never hit my head on falls before I got a helmet. (I fall plenty) I got knocked lightly on my helmet quite a few time since, which I think it's more because my "head" now are a lot bigger with the helmet.

That said, helmet is a whole lot warmer than hat (I struggle with staying wam in the past) And it stays on when I take a tumble.
I always appreciate a minority view! You hit the nail on the head: it's the replacement costs that hinder an easy return to the slopes. It's not as though one can just pick up the old gear and head out, although I am very tempted to do just that. But it's helpful to hear how others might prioritize, for sure, so thanks for your input.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you didn't want to do the Gore clinic, there are 3 of us who will be skiing, but not in the clinic. It will be a great chance to meet some Divas. BTW, I usually ski weekdays and can almost guarantee that I will be skiing somewhere on Wednesday with SnowflakeADK. Just PM when you are ready.

abc

Banned
You hit the nail on the head: it's the replacement costs that hinder an easy return to the slopes. It's not as though one can just pick up the old gear and head out, although I am very tempted to do just that. But it's helpful to hear how others might prioritize, for sure, so thanks for your input.
Actually, there's nothing wrong with picking up the old gear and head out to the slopes!

Re-reading your initial post, you still have all working gear. So you might as well head out with your ancient boot and old skis just to shake off the cobwebs while you work on replacing your old gear bit by bit.

With a 20 year boot, it's only a matter of time (probably a very short time) your boot is going to fall apart -- just to give you a data p0int, my 10 year old boot started cracking at the buckles shortly after I started using them again. So you really do need to head down to the boot fitters very soon. I wouldn't worry too much about the ski until you get your boots sorted out. (and just because the binding is out of date, doesn't mean you need to replace the ski -- unless you WANT new skis, that is)

As you might have guessed, once you starts again, you'll find a lot of stuff you might wish to have. But you don't have to buy all of them right now. Go out a few times, it'll become clear what you REALLY need to replace and what you can still make them last one more season...

pamdl

Certified Ski Diva
Actually, there's nothing wrong with picking up the old gear and head out to the slopes!

Re-reading your initial post, you still have all working gear. So you might as well head out with your ancient boot and old skis just to shake off the cobwebs while you work on replacing your old gear bit by bit.

With a 20 year boot, it's only a matter of time (probably a very short time) your boot is going to fall apart -- just to give you a data p0int, my 10 year old boot started cracking at the buckles shortly after I started using them again. So you really do need to head down to the boot fitters very soon. I wouldn't worry too much about the ski until you get your boots sorted out. (and just because the binding is out of date, doesn't mean you need to replace the ski -- unless you WANT new skis, that is)

As you might have guessed, once you starts again, you'll find a lot of stuff you might wish to have. But you don't have to buy all of them right now. Go out a few times, it'll become clear what you REALLY need to replace and what you can still make them last one more season...

I love your comments---maybe because they're exactly what I want to hear? Regardless, I have been clomping around the house in my still-snug boots, and I think I can figure out how to make sure my bindings are in working order. The skis still look great: edges sharp and true, don't seem dried out, and maybe in need of a fresh wax, if anything. I hate the thought that everything needs to be new, just to get back into the game. And while new boots and gear would be great, I don't want to let the perfect get in the way of the good, especially if my goal is to just start skiing again (nor do I want to be stupid or reckless, but I'm willing to accept a reasonable degree of risk!) A morning of skiing seems much more attainable, if I I can just grab what I have already and go, to be sure. Thanks for the commonsense!

abc

Banned
I love your comments---maybe because they're exactly what I want to hear?
Probably because I've been in your exact situation before?

Only I didn't get advance warning of the boots falling apart. Plastic gets brittle with time, whether you use them or not. So don't be surprise if it does.

In the mean time, you can get your ski legs back again. Try some new gear, say a helmet? (just bring your goggle when you go helmet shopping, and don't let saleman to talk you into buying goggle only because the shop don't have helmet to work with your goggle)

You can also try to demo a couple of new skis and compare them back to back to your existing one. You may change your mind about keeping your current one, or not.

A morning of skiing seems much more attainable, if I I can just grab what I have already and go, to be sure. Thanks for the commonsense!
That's it! This is about skiing, not about accumulating gears! (even though at times it looks like gear is ALL we talk about here, we do actually go skiing, quite often too! :smile: )

mustski

Angel Diva
^^^ what she said. Ski a couple of days and have fun. Realize that your boots can go at any time ... but I skied this weekend with a friend who was in 15 yr old boots and she had a blast. If you still love it, you can start planning your purchases and make them at the end of the season when good deals are to be had. My one warning would be this ... if you wear a very small size or a very large size women's shoe ... there will be limited boot choices at the end of the season.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna