• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Right Ski Length? Volkl Adora

kirsten yuen

Diva in Training
Hey there!
I am at a loss for the right length of ski to buy because I hear a MILLION different opinions from everyone.

After a 14 year hiatus I am getting back into skiing again so I am very much a beginner. I can make it down blues and greens with control although slow. But am looking to improve form and speed.
I am 5'6 and 128 lbs.
The skis I am looking at for cost reasons are Volkl Adora 154 cm, and Rossignol Temptation, although the ones I really want are Black Pearls or Atomic Vantage 85.
Is 154 in the Adora too short? What length and variables should I be aware of?

Any feedback would greatly help!!
Thanks ladies

Jilly

Staff member
I don't know anything about the Volkl's, but too short for the Temptation. I'm 5'4 and ski the Temptation in a 162.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
154 sounds short - you call yourself a beginner, but you're skiing some blues and are coming back from a hiatus (what were you skiing before the hiatus?).

kirsten yuen

Diva in Training
I was skiing about the same prior to that , with a lot less control mind you! And last season what I was skiing were a friends old race skis in a 152. Which were WAY too stiff and felt like cement blocks on my feet (combined with old race boots in a 130 flex).
Sounds like I should definitely go longer?

lisamamot

Angel Diva
Welcome to the forum and back to skiing! I just came back to skiing a few years ago after a 20+ year hiatus; it will all come back to you, and quickly!

A few questions. Do you now have properly fitting boots? Also, where do you ski, and do you have access to demo? When you say you are skiing blues and greens in control, are you skiing parallel or wedge?

You will want to go longer than the low 150's. Be prepared many shop guys will try to sell you short saying they are easier to control and turn. The ladies here speak from personal experience - short is unstable. I started out listening to the shop guys, bought short, and sold. Then I got more confidence from the advice here, and didn't get swayed in the shop :smile:

I bought too short like many here and they started to feel unstable as I got better and wanted to go faster. I subsequently sold those skis, learned to say no I want longer to the shop folks and even the demo guy and started demoing.

RhodySkiBum

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I am also 5'6" but a little bit umm heavier (145) than you and I have the Adoras (from a few yrs ago - not sure if they have changed them!) in 159. I love them, but I think you would want at least the 159s.

But they are a great ski and have really helped me to improve my skiing! So if you find them a bit longer I would recommend! :-) They are a bit "soft" so I may be looking to demo a stiffer ski soon as I feel I am a much better skier now than when I got these, but I still can have fun on them. My only complaint is that they are not great in deep powder or crud - they get pushed around a little. But we don't see much of that here!

kirsten yuen

Diva in Training
Welcome to the forum and back to skiing! I just came back to skiing a few years ago after a 20+ year hiatus; it will all come back to you, and quickly!

A few questions. Do you now have properly fitting boots? Also, where do you ski, and do you have access to demo? When you say you are skiing blues and greens in control, are you skiing parallel or wedge?

You will want to go longer than the low 150's. Be prepared many shop guys will try to sell you short saying they are easier to control and turn. The ladies here speak from personal experience - short is unstable. I started out listening to the shop guys, bought short, and sold. Then I got more confidence from the advice here, and didn't get swayed in the shop :smile:

Hey! and thanks for the advice. I do have my own boots which I have just bought and have yet to ski on this season. I've also just moved from the East (Ontario) to the West and our closest mountain is Marmot. They have yet to post any demo days on thier site but I do know they usually have a few a season.
Small amount of wedging on the blues :/ haha

Any advice on a ski? Ive heard to "buy up" so you can grow into, aka progress with your skis.
Thanks again :D

kirsten yuen

Diva in Training
I am also 5'6" but a little bit umm heavier (145) than you and I have the Adoras (from a few yrs ago - not sure if they have changed them!) in 159. I love them, but I think you would want at least the 159s.

But they are a great ski and have really helped me to improve my skiing! So if you find them a bit longer I would recommend! :-) They are a bit "soft" so I may be looking to demo a stiffer ski soon as I feel I am a much better skier now than when I got these, but I still can have fun on them. My only complaint is that they are not great in deep powder or crud - they get pushed around a little. But we don't see much of that here!

Hey thanks! That was my concern, that they were maybe tooo soft as I got used to the extremely stiff race skis I was on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna