• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

riding when you don't own a horse

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've taken a few trail rides and really enjoyed them. I'd like to learn more about riding, and I know that one can get lessons, but I'm not at all clear how that works if you don't have your own horse. I've been thinking of taking this up for years, but I have the time now, and it's just uncertainty about how to proceed that is keeping in my way. And with the snow melting off at a rapid rate at home, my thoughts are turning to warm-weather sports - so it seems like a good time to investigate this.

Do people take lessons on a weekly basis? Are you supposed to rent a horse? (It seems very strange to talk about a critter in this manner, like renting a cat, but I don't know how people who don't own horses wind up riding them anyway.)

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The key is to find a barn in your area that gives lessons. They will have school horses that you will use. Generally, the price of the lesson includes the cost of using a school horse.
Weekly lessons is the norm--esp when starting out. If you enjoy riding, you'll soon find that riding just once a week is not enough! Like anything else, the more often you do it, the faster you will progress.
If you love it, continue taking lessons, but don't want to commit to buying a horse, you can always lease or half lease a horse as well.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I second what NES says. And try to find a barn that has a variety of horses of different levels of training and energy. Retired show horses make GREAT lesson horses because they are typically impeccably trained and very reliable.

If you want a rush, go find a Saddlebred barn with retired show lesson horses (or academy horses) or an arabian barn with retired hunter pleasure or saddle seat horses. A good old saddleseat horse will be very safe and reliable but won't poke around needing to be prodded along constantly. I'm slightly biased, though :D I prefer my horses to have some go forward and energy (but not crazy) which is why I've always had Arabians!

What's your zip code? I might be able to find you a lesson place in your area!

Christy

Angel Diva
Lots of people "half-lease" their horses to help with expenses; I used to. That generally gets you 3 days a week of access to the horse, and you pay half the board. But like others said, take lessons first (well, actually you'll have to, no one is going to give you a half lease or lease if you can't ride yet). I wouldn't get hung up on breeds, but you might consider a big barn that has lessons in both English and Western style, so you can try both and see what appeals to you. Good luck and have fun!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
What's your zip code? I might be able to find you a lesson place in your area!

I'm in 01060. There is a lot of rural area around here, so it looks like a good place for finding stables.

How can I tell if it is a good stable for getting lessons from? (Sorry about the prepositions, but I couldn't find a better way to word this)

B

B.E.G.

Serafina, apparently we share another interest! I was thinking about taking up riding as one of my summer activities when I move out to CA this summer!

Contesstant, it looks like I'll be in the SF area after all instead of LA - I know you recommended a couple places near LA but do you know of any good barns in the Bay Area? And like skiing, I'm far more book smart than experience smart about horses, but based only on that, I absolutely adore Arabians :smile:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm in 01060. There is a lot of rural area around here, so it looks like a good place for finding stables.

How can I tell if it is a good stable for getting lessons from? (Sorry about the prepositions, but I couldn't find a better way to word this)

That is a good question. It is NOT easy to tell how reputable a lesson program is. There is no national certification for riding instructors or trainers, which I think is unfortunate. Please PLEASE stay away from Parelli instructors. I'm sure this might ignite controversy, but I so abhor their methods and their marketing. Having been riding and showing for 35 years now, I watch them and their "certified trainers" and shake my head in disgust and humor. Anyway, I digress...

I myself have had some horrible experiences hiring trainers with national-level show records. A ribbon on the wall does not, unfortunately, equal honest, ethical, competent, or compassionate horse or rider care! Even horses who appear to be very well-cared for can still be abused. There can be a fine line between abuse and rational discipline with horses. I wish you were closer! I'd totally take you in and at least let you get to know how to handle one on the ground and throw you up on the old draft mare in our barn. (My gelding is very mannerly and impeccably trained, but not for a beginner under saddle.)

I wish you were closer to my previous trainer in Virginia. I pulled your zip code for mentor programs in your area but did not recognize any of the farm names, so can't be of any help there. :noidea:

I would say go to a local feed store and ask one of the employees. Check the bulletin board there. Then visit some places and watch some lessons. Trust your gut. Talk to some of the people taking lessons. Watch for at least content horses who are fat and shiny with feet that are in good shape. A non-content horse will swish it's tail, pin it's ears, and generally look dull in the eyes. A happy horse will be curious about it's surroundings and the people handling it.

You might quickly find that horse people can be worse than soccer moms. If you get a vibe from a folks at a barn that everyone thinks their horse can do no wrong, run! All horse have faults, and they are ALL big animals that can become dangerous in an instant. They are flight animals, after all.

If I think of anything else, especially when finding a competent instructor, I'll chime in again!

Half the fun of horses is not the riding, either. It's the care and grooming and mucking and such. On my way to the barn now to long line mine (he only gets ridden 2-3 days a week.) Need to pick up grain for him, which is always good exercise. :D

Tvan

Angel Diva
I've been riding for several years at a local farm. They have a number of school horses that the instructor uses for lessons. There are usually a couple of horses that can be leased, or half-leased, which gives the option of riding more than just when your lesson is scheduled. I have a hard time getting to the barn more than once a week, so I haven't leased a horse, but if I thought I could ride more often, I'd consider it.

If you're looking for an instructor, I'd suggest asking if you can take a trial lesson, and/or observe some lessons to get a feeling for the instructor's teaching style. You can see how the animals are treated, how clean the barn and tack is kept, how the other students ride, etc. Ask if the instructor teaches other adults - some barns specialize in kids lessons and don't really cater to adult learners. Ask if the instructors students participate in shows and other events. During show season, it can be hard to schedule lessons on weekends, if that is a consideration for you. Also, knowing if the barn participates in shows will give you a feeling for the level of competition that may exist between students.

I ride western, not English. Generally, I've found then western community to be a little more low key than the English community, but this may be mostly due to the atmosphere at my barn. The gals at my barn love to barrel race, and they compete, but usually as a team, not individually. I can't wait to be good enough to run the barrels!

My last piece of advice is: get a riding helmet. Some barns won't let you into the stalls without one. At my barn the rule is helmets on, and no open toe shoes of any kind on anyone - including visiting siblings and parents.

mtngirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
you might try contacting the local pony club, or 4-H horse club...

A lot of the best horse businesses advertise solely off word of mouth...

I would also suggest starting out with dressage, because it will give you a solid base that applies to all horses and riding styles, where as if you start with western you could get those base skills, but they are more likely to be lacking if you end up in some barns... there is just a bigger variation, and more gimmicks around in the western disciplines... and I don't mean to offend western people at all, some are great, and I was mostly a western person, its just that there seems to be more silliness there.

Once you get some knowledge, it will be easier to pick out the good barns and the bad barns and develop your own opinion on things.. Horses are kind of like religion, only with more hatred, and it makes it hard on beginners getting into it because they are at the mercy of the people teaching them, and there really is no regulating organization or certification program that is worth anything or respected in the USA.

Yes, I use to be a horse girl, too :fear:

and yes... if you hear the name Parelli, RUN! RUN! as fast as you can..

did you guys see him getting dumped at the road to the horse deal recently?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
you might try contacting the local pony club, or 4-H horse club...

A lot of the best horse businesses advertise solely off word of mouth...

I would also suggest starting out with dressage, because it will give you a solid base that applies to all horses and riding styles, where as if you start with western you could get those base skills, but they are more likely to be lacking if you end up in some barns... there is just a bigger variation, and more gimmicks around in the western disciplines... and I don't mean to offend western people at all, some are great, and I was mostly a western person, its just that there seems to be more silliness there.

Once you get some knowledge, it will be easier to pick out the good barns and the bad barns and develop your own opinion on things.. Horses are kind of like religion, only with more hatred, and it makes it hard on beginners getting into it because they are at the mercy of the people teaching them, and there really is no regulating organization or certification program that is worth anything or respected in the USA.

Yes, I use to be a horse girl, too :fear:

and yes... if you hear the name Parelli, RUN! RUN! as fast as you can..

did you guys see him getting dumped at the road to the horse deal recently?

Some excellent points! I would say any balanced seat instruction will be fine. I personally don't think english or western matters. The local pony club could be a GREAT resource.

Horse people are definitely a weird bunch. Funny how some of my closest friends are (obviously) horse people, and really some of the only people I would consider that I just can't stand are also horse people. Thank GOD for the horses who make it all worthwhile!

Heard about Parelli getting dumped. Didn't see it--so not surprised it happened for many reasons, including it's just a fact if you are on a horse that many hours, you ARE going to get dumped. I just don't care for the anthropomorphizing that he employs and his "followers" do also. It's just creepy...never mind all the money that is spent on overpriced stuff that he markets. :frusty:

mtngirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Youtube took the video of him getting dumped down.. it was excellent, because anyone who has been around horses could totally see that the colt was going to blow... and he did...

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP

The best trainers teach you to develope a strong seat. Seat, legs, then hands those are your order of importance. Ask for a schooling horse. Western pleasure, saddleseat, Dressage, eventing, rheining, speed events, trail riding they all depend on developing a strong seat. Any trainer that stresses getting you to "show" or "Buy" without developing your riding first walk away from. Learning to ride is just that LEARN TO RIDE. General rule is Green rider with a Grey horse,green riders with green horses make grass stains, usually on your butt!. Unfortunately their are a lot of "trainers" that know they will make more money if they can get you to Show. That said there is nothing wrong with showing if that is your desire. You can learn alot from showing. You can also spend alot showing. I've boarded in Dressage barns, jumper barns. I've worked in saddlebred barns, and western pleasure barns. All of them have their "things" vices. A horse is a horse but some breeds are better suited to certain discipline than others. and so are trainers. I would try a few different lessons in a few different disciplines. Research it first, see what type of riding your personality is best suited for. As for leasing I have both leased a horse ( my first warmblood and my last appy mare), and am currently leasing out my 16 yr old palomino gelding to a horse crazy 14 yr old girl. I was very nervous about doing this there is a lot of liability involved in doing this if you do lease get everything in writting first. I feel very blessed because this young lady ADORES my horse. She shows him 4-H and trail rides. I gave her a full lease she pays his board( he has not left my barn), farrier and shots. I cover routine dental and any serious vet bills. It works out to about $160.00 per month for board( I cover hay and feed). $100.00 every 4 weeks for shoes (during the show season) and about $180.00 year for coggins, and the rest of his shots. It works out great for us because Peach has a rider and it cost me next to nothing to keep him. I have 3 horses total and this helps me out a lot. Leasing worked out great for me when I was moving alot because I didn't have to make an expensive long a term commitment to have a horse to ride.
This is Bobbie and Peach at Fair last summer.

Attachments

• 38183_146998201983451_100000198161521_449008_538875_n[1].jpg
    38183_146998201983451_100000198161521_449008_538875_n[1].jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 24

Tvan

Angel Diva
Perma-grin, Peach is beautiful!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Peach is awesome! What a lucky girl.

As far as grass stains on the butt, my first horse was a really mean (who became sweet) pony. I spent a lot of time on the ground, but learned a lot, too! It was much easier to do when I was 7!

Serafina, where are you? We want to hear if you've done any research yet!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
perma-grin, what a GORGEOUS, HANDSOME horse Peach is! And Bobbie looks like a very nice young lady. How wonderful that they can be together.

perma-grin

Instructor PSIA L 3, APD Alpine Ski training MHSP
I feel very blessed to have her on him. I inherited the 3 and they weren't something I ever would have bought. My Chrome is a tobiano paint and he is always filthy! My point is that here are thousands of horses without riders that are up for lease. Kids leave for college, job times or as in my case My paint wasn't broke or gelded when he came to live with me and now 2yrs later he is, I just didn't have time for Mr. Peach or Ringo( he is keeping a girlfriends grand daughter in barrel ribbons!!). Chrome has kept me well occupied! LOL! I'm getting told old to start rambunctious just gelded boy's!!! But the white thing with the paints, they are beautiful when they are clean, (which is almost never!) but look like a train wreck when stained! Bay or a chesnut!! My two favorite colors, look good clean look good dirty! LOL!

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry - I've been out skiing! :laugh: It's spring break for me, and I've made it out to the slopes on Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday, and today. 4x in one week is my personal record - and I'm planning to go out again tomorrow. :smile: Getting it while the getting is good (or at least, sort of good...Sun and Tues were EPIC spring conditions, Thursday I was mired in slush, and today the hill froze so it was all yukky dust-on-crust).

This place is pretty close to where I live. It looks like they teach adults. There is a video of one of their horses playing "soccer" with a big ball. I interpreted this as indicating that the stable owner has at least a little sense of humor, which is a good thing. I thought I'd give them a ring.

When I was a teen there was NOTHING in the world I wanted more than to ride, but my parents didn't hold with that kind of thing. They didn't consider it to be "useful". Boo. A friend of mine did ride, and show-jump and such, and I would go with her to hang out while she had a class, and kind of attached myself loosely to the stable. They'd let me ride a bit after lessons, walk the horses out to cool off after class. They told me I had a natural seat but I thought this meant that I had a big butt that fit nicely on the big horse backs. :smile:

That was a long time ago, though, and I've forgotten most of what I ever knew about taking care of horses. I know the difference between an English saddle and a Western one, and the difference between a bridle and a halter. I recognize a martingale, but I forget why some horses wear them. I can recognize a snaffle bit, and I know that some horses like to blow up their bellies when you tighten the girth, which will make the saddle start slipping off sideways when you mount up. I know better than to walk up behind a horse, or really, to approach a horse from any direction that is not basically right in front of it where it can get a good look at what is coming. That covers about 100% of what I know about horses...

I've gone on short (2 hr) trail rides a couple of times in the last several years, when we were on vacation, and enjoyed the heck out of that. I am really hoping that I can line up something here, because it's been 30 years since I conceived the desire to ride, and it's about darned time.

@perma-grin - Peach is DARLING!!! I want to give him a treat! I can just feel that wonderful velvety whiskery horse lip thing on my hand right now.

Serafina

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Another question: is it OK if I ride in my cowboy boots? They are proper working boots with a low heel and have had mud and dung on the soles, not some kind of cheerleader boot with fringe. I'm from Texas and came by these honestly. They have good hard soles and are comfortable. People in New England look at me like I've grown a second head when I wear them out on the town (they do not, right now, have mud or dung on).

Reason I ask is that I looked at Peach's rider and remember that most of the people at the stables I hung out at wore boots like that, but I have absolutely monster bike-riding calves and I am pretty sure that it will not be easy for me to find tall stiff boots that actually fit.

Let me know how it goes Serafina. I rode at Fox Meadow Farm from 2004-2006 (Smith's barn) and I live very close to the barn you're looking at. I also rode in Plainfield for awhile. Just never found the right place, and couldn't afford to ski and ride (plus riding others' horses requires scheduling it into my already tight schedule).

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Give them a try and see what you think. FYI the big ball is often associated with Parelli methods, which is fine, as long as they don't preach everything Parelli and shove it down your throat.

Your boots should be fine at least to start. I'm sure they'll let you know. And you most certainly CAN find tall boots with big calves, but you shouldn't need to. If you REALLY get into it, you're better off wearing paddock boots with 1/2 chaps anyway.

Good luck!!! We're about to get several days in a row of rain here (which equates to copious amounts of snow in the mountains) but it also means no riding for me because covered arenas are the exception in CA, not the norm! It takes several days for the footing to dry out enough to ride on. :( Now if I could rectify my childcare situation and go skiing...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna