• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rewaterproof suggestions

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Google me and this topic. Nixwax is not really a cleaner; it is a vehicle to prepare the fabric to accept the DWR. A seach should bring up a different process that is much more effective than what the label tells you to do.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
Fantastic

I used the Granger's kit last...a wash the spray then tumble on low last time. It was "ok" but not great results.

Their down wash is great though

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
Found the "how", and suggestions as to which product works best? Most bang for the buck?

Muddy creek (equestrian jackets) use Revivex.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@KKL2018 - your waterproofing comes from your membrane. None of them are waterproof in any and all conditions (at the right strength, water pressure can cut through sheet metal, same goes for membranes. Some are rated for higher pressure than others).

Over time, some membranes are susceptible to degradation when it’s in contact with dirt, oil, sunscreen, some scented products. Once they’re shot, they’re shot, but washing with tech wash breathes some life into the membrane.

Nikwax & similar products say waterproofing, but they’re DWRs (durable water repellent). Every waterproof layer comes with a commercial DWR that lasts a pretty long time. It gets reactivated with heat, so drying after washing is clutch. But it also goes away over time. DWRs like Nikwax are plant based and way safer for the environment & appropriate for people to keep in their homes, but it doesn’t last nearly as long as the original stuff. I re-treat mine before every rain or hot pow day here in the PNW.

Not sure what the next steps are for your pieces, but it really grinds my gears that Nikwax/Grangers/etc call it “waterproofing” - I feel like it makes it extra difficult for customers!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
What?!!! I've been only hang drying my jackets and pants all this time.
Patagonia store told me you need to wash often and definitely put in dryer.... low heat I think but the heat does something to restore DWR or waterproofing membrane.
@geargrrl could probably comment on that..... as well as @Analisa mentioned using dryer heat.

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
@Analisa from what I understand, the waterproofing membrane pores needs to be "cleaned" and refreshed as they can get clogged and stretched. Which is why traditional detergents/fabric softeners are advised against? With wear the seams and pores are stretched which is why it is advised to tumble on low heat to help them "shrink" back (for lack of a better word). Is this correct?

Not looking for heavy downpour waterproofing. Just something to wash and treat my gear in every season to help revive it's "waterproofing".

Though the muddy creek (riding gear) uses Revivex for their rain coats to be refreshed each season, everyone swears by them. I may just wear that coat if we get a wet heavy snow LOL :smile:

KKL2018

Certified Ski Diva
@Analisa from what I understand, the waterproofing membrane pores needs to be "cleaned" and refreshed as they can get clogged---which is why traditional detergents/fabric softeners are advised against? With wear the seams and pores are stretched which is why it is advised to tumble on low heat to help them "shrink" back (for lack of a better word). Is this correct?

Not looking for heavy downpour waterproofing. Just something to wash and treat my gear in every season to help revive it's "waterproofing".

Though the muddy creek (riding gear) uses Revivex for their rain coats to be refreshed each season, everyone swears by them. I may just wear that coat if we get a wet heavy snow LOL :smile:

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Annalise is correct in that the membrane does degrade after time. These items DO have a "product" lifetime. This will vary as to quality and type of the original fabric, type of use, how often it is cleaned, whether it is exposed to too much heat, etc.

Here is the "best practices" I got from a shop that does 2000 pieces of Goretex uniform wash a year:
For washing, here’s the best practice to get it both clean and waterproof.

Both Nikwax and Granger’s make special products. Most better outdoors stores carry one brand or the other. You want Tech-Wash & TX-Direct for the first part (by Nikwax) or Granger’s is Performance Wash & Clothing Repel. One is a special wash, the second is Durable Water Repellent.

My instructions are slightly different from the label. The reason why is step #1 is a vehicle to get #2 to work, but it’s not really a cleaner. If you follow the label instructions your stuff never looks actually “clean”. Doing the second part in the washer doesn’t work very well as the whole inside gets coated too.

1. Wash item with liquid detergent. You can treat grimy areas with Shout or similar
  2. Rinse 3 times.
  3. Now wash with Tech Wash, remove from washer.
  4. If your second part came in a spray bottle, lay jacket out and spray it, use a sponge brush to spread it evenly, pay close attention to getting the entire surface of the coat wet. If the second part is a liquid, pour it out into a dish and do the same thing with sponge brush.
  5. When jacket is thoroughly coated, put it in a low dryer for about 10 minutes, then line dry.
Thanks to Patrick Mark “Mr. Mender”

geargrrl

Angel Diva
@Analisa from what I understand, the waterproofing membrane pores needs to be "cleaned" and refreshed as they can get clogged and stretched. Which is why traditional detergents/fabric softeners are advised against? With wear the seams and pores are stretched which is why it is advised to tumble on low heat to help them "shrink" back (for lack of a better word). Is this correct?

The heat reactivates the DWR coating. It has nothing to do with shrinking it back. Traditional detergents will strip the DWR; it's perfectly safe to use if you retreat the DWR after. In fact, if your coat is grimy, you can pour it right into the grime and scrub it or use Shout or similar.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A quick clarifying note on the dryer - anything written on the care label trumps any advice written anywhere else. An insane amount of money is spent testing garments and generating the advice written on them. FTC regulations require that directions are reasonable as possible - so they can't mark a garment hand wash or dry clean only if they don't have proof & rationale why the washer would harm the garment.

I know Flylow recommends line drying and a few others might as well, so I'd check your tags and heed the directions written there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly