• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Review: 2012 Blizzard Black Pearl

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Product:
2012 Blizzard Black Pearl
Length/size Tested:
166 cm
Sidecut
123-88-110
TR 19
Tip and Tail Rocker, Slight Camber underfoot, flip core technology

Environment of Conditions:
*Location of review: Multiple locations (Winter Park, Tahoe region...)
*Runs Taken: who's counting
*Snow Conditions: varied - chalky, refrozen skied out terrain,
*Demo or Purchase: Yes!

Summary (inc. Strengths & Weaknesses):
Designated in the freeski line, the Black Pearl lends itself to the daily driver category.

Other skis in class: Atomic Elysian, Rossi S90w, Salomon Geisha, (to name a few)

Tester Info:
Height/Weight: 5'6" 135 lbs
Average days on snow: 30+
Years Skiing: 15-30

Aggressiveness: The moderate side of aggressive, looking for an extra dose of RAWR!

1000x500px-LL-c8db0ba7_2012blizzard.jpg

I first skied the Blizzard Black Pearl at WinterPark, Colorado during SIA ski testing. The groomers were edgeable and chalky.
I started out with a little skepticism that a rockered ski 88 under foot could be a daily driver but the Black Pearl quickly squashed my skepticism.
Transitions from short/medium/long radius turns were a cinch, and the forgiveness in a roller section was......well......forgiving, but the thing that surprised me most was the easy edge transitions, and general (for lack of a better term) grippy nature. This ski can really carve!
Of all the women's skis I skied at Winter Park, the Black Pearl was my #1 Pick

Day two - Sugar Bowl, conditions were less forgiving, skied out and refrozen terrain, mixed with some interesting refrozen snow in the chutes that resembled avy debris, and trees that resembled crem brule that had set around a bit too long.
Spent the day testing some other skis and switched to the Black Pearls to ski out the afternoon. (about 3 hrs).
The snow didn't soften up like we thought it would, but the Black Pearl stood the test, and made the day fun, instead of just manageable.

As to Graphix: I was unsure of the Bull theme of this new freeride ski line until I heard the story. It seems that Arne Backstrom was involved in designing this new freeride line before he died in South America. When he won the freeskiing world tour in 2010, it was said that he "charged it like a bull" These graphix are a tribute to the man who was instrumental in Blizzard freeride line and the flip core technology and that makes these graphix special.

Flip Core Technology:
The core of the ski is flipped so that it forms the rocker naturally before pressing the ski into its shape. The flip core rocker is a smooth natural rocker that doesn't create a hinge point that you may feel in a rocker that is pressed traditionally.
I like to think of something that each of my skis inspires and this one inspires RAWR!
190062_10150162758386138_540901137_8805924_6669423_n.jpg

Blizzard's target group for this ski:
Eat Pray Send, and they mean it!

lynseyf

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
nice review :thumbsup:

I'm your skiing twin, I've got the same colour of jacket and salopettes as you and a black helmet and goggles with that blue tint, you've got good taste :wink:

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
nice review :thumbsup:

I'm your skiing twin, I've got the same colour of jacket and salopettes as you and a black helmet and goggles with that blue tint, you've got good taste :wink:
My blue outfit has purple zippers and my helmet is a dark purple. (almost black).
I also have a blue helmet that matches :D
180437_10150407672780018_830505017_16981959_376402_n.jpg

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Gear slut alert! :laughter:

I can't talk. You should see my horse show coat and shirt collection. I actually just put several on consignment. My excuse is I had to have some chubby coats after I gave birth. ;)

Anyway, my husband's favorite demos so far this year were the Blizzard 7.6. More than the Kastles that he demo'd at Mammoth! I'll be hunting some Blizzards down for him this off season so he can have his own for next year. Seems Blizzard is putting out some quality stuff!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wonder which Kastle's he demo'd at Mammoth. I am a huge fan of the MX and LX line, as well as the FX84 and 94, but the bigger FX's (104) is a LOT of ski and I'm withholding my opinion on the new BMX line until I get to ski a few more in their appropriate conditions. Jury's still out on those.

As for the Blizzard 7.6, THAT is a great ski for a front side ski. We have sold a ton of them and still have some deals to be had at the shop .....just sayin' ;)

And yes, I'm a gear slut.....Jury's in on that one and I've been found guilty. :D

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was the FX94 Chris Davenport. They really should not have let him take them out in the conditions. There was no powder to be found. So his opinion is slightly skewed as a result. Then his buddies dragged him into the moguls on them. He really did not enjoy them there! They were pretty long (I think 184's) to begin with.

I'll give the shop a call when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Right now, the horse trailer needs tires and the truck is due for a major tune-up. Boo! :(

I'd be a gear slut if I skied as much as you do, too!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
It was the FX94 Chris Davenport. They really should not have let him take them out in the conditions. There was no powder to be found. So his opinion is slightly skewed as a result. Then his buddies dragged him into the moguls on them. He really did not enjoy them there! They were pretty long (I think 184's) to begin with.

I'll give the shop a call when I'm ready to pull the trigger. Right now, the horse trailer needs tires and the truck is due for a major tune-up. Boo! :(

I'd be a gear slut if I skied as much as you do, too!
The Chris Davenport FX94 is a great ski in the right size and right conditions, but its not necessarily a forgiving ski, and(as you know) its not in the same category as the Mag 7.6, or anything else in the Blizz mag series.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Update:
We got hit with an awesome storm Friday afternoon that dumped 2 - 3 ft of snow,......light fluffy snow!
The bad news is that I loaned my powder skis out, thinking that I was not going to get out today
The good news is that I found out just how awesome the Black Pearls could be in 3 ft of Powder!!
I figured I had nothing to lose, except a day of skiing fresh powder if I didn't take these out. What I didn't expect was an 88 mm waisted ski to slay it like these did.
Would a 110ish waisted ski with rocker be a better tool for the day? Maybe, but I had no regrets taking an 88 mm waisted ski with rocker,......and may just opt to take the Black Pearls out on the next powder day, even if I have my powder skis available.
What a great day!
LL

maggie198

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OMG. these are my new favorite ski! I demoed them today, was planning on taking them back after a run, and ended up keeping them a couple of hours. They handled every possible variable condition, were steady and stable and easy to get on edge. I'm in love!

What length did you ski?

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I love these skis.........feel like I can do anything on them!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Because I've been approached about the graphics on this ski (many times) I thought I'd tell my story and why I love these graphics.

I've had a bit of an issued with head games the past few years, beating myself up when I have a weird funk day, and freezing up when the terrain gets challenging.
This season, I committed to working on my tactical skiing more than my technical skiing and getting some of my RAWR back.
When I saw the graphics of the Freeride series on the wall at SIA I wondered if they'd appeal to the average woman skier, then I heard the story (as I stated it in my OP) and I warmed up to them a lot.
The real passion for these graphics came to me when I clicked into them at Winterpark, even before I took my first turn, I looked down at the purple bull with his piercing pink eyes and I was inspired to charge the mountain.

Then.......I made my first turn and I knew this ski was a winner and that Blizzard hit this one out of the park, both in graphics that inspire RAWR and a ski that skis so well that its sure to build confidence.

RAWR!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now THAT is a cool story! I need something to give me a whole lotta RAWR. Something tells me these skis, especially combined with my super-stiff-boots-that-need-to-be-softened, would be too much for me until I can move somewhere that I can ski regularly :(

Maybe I'll get Mr. Contesstant the Bushwackers so I can live vicariously through him for awhile.

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Now THAT is a cool story! I need something to give me a whole lotta RAWR. Something tells me these skis, especially combined with my super-stiff-boots-that-need-to-be-softened, would be too much for me until I can move somewhere that I can ski regularly :(

Maybe I'll get Mr. Contesstant the Bushwackers so I can live vicariously through him for awhile.
You can try my Black Pearls the next time you're up this way. And yes you should get Mr Contesstant the Bushwacker, or maybe even the Bonafide!
Awesome Skis!

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You can try my Black Pearls the next time you're up this way. And yes you should get Mr Contesstant the Bushwacker, or maybe even the Bonafide!
Awesome Skis!

OOh, awesome offer and another incentive to get back up there next winter! :D

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Sounds like something I might like to demo, even though I'm not in the market for any new skis.

This year it's DH's turn to get new skis, but so far he hasn't even demoed any yet. Guess he's not a gear slut! He leaves that to me. :bounce:

Anna

Angel Diva
*sigh*

As at Friday March 25th, the Aussie rep says, "I have no orders for the Black Pearl ski for Australia at this point, although, this does not mean there is not an opportunity to order them from early production in the next 4 weeks."

I have emailed a reply asking if he believes it's due to the graphics.
Reason this COULD be is that our retailers order in November 2010 for our winter 2011. Our winter 2011 has YOUR 2011/2012 season gear. I don't believe our retailers could have heard/read any SKIER reviews as opposed to Company Hype. Many people have commented negatively about the topsheets - I personally LOVE them. Hell, my 2011 Watea 84s are not good lookin' but DAMN they are WOW skis....

Which brings me to my next question for those in the KNOW:
Having 2011 Fischer Watea 84s & Blizzard Black Pearls (88 waist): both "freeride/all mountain skis" ......
Do you think I would be doubling up a dash? I think I would be .....
BUT i so LOVE the BPs! They SPARKLE!!!!!

GLITTER AND PURPLE AND SPARKLE!!!! and and and and ....
A great story about the Top Sheet!
Thank you Arne!

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If anyone is interested in Pre-ordering the Black Pearl, or any of the other Flip Core skis, send me a PM.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I like them! I'm telling you, my Lotta Luvs became too much for me when I got the Salomon boots. But if I can get my hands on a demo pair and like them, then yes! I'll sell the Lottas. My birthstone is a diamond but I do like pearls :D Besides, the bull IS my birth sign...

SnowHot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I like them! I'm telling you, my Lotta Luvs became too much for me when I got the Salomon boots. But if I can get my hands on a demo pair and like them, then yes! I'll sell the Lottas. My birthstone is a diamond but I do like pearls :D Besides, the bull IS my birth sign...

You are meant for these skis! Come back up to Tahoe and try mine!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna