• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Return to skiing after injury

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
I have (almost) decided to ski next season. My therapy is going well though I know that I have a long way to go. I also realize that I am not the only Ski Diva who is concerned about their return to the slopes.

I'm hoping that those who have been through this can give me/us some advice. What are the most effective exercises to get back into ski condition? Should I hire a personal trainer after my PT has concluded?

Equally important, right now I feel considerable anxiety at the idea of returning to the slopes. However, I feel even more anxious about the possibility of never skiing again. What did you do to overcome the fear of getting back out there?

Thanks in advance for your insight.

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Ask ur therapist about home exercise program geared towards skiing. Do ur home exercises religiously. Expect some swelling if it's ur knee (remember ziplock bags 4 ice) . I signed up for a class my first day back. But mostly remember the joy of skiing & let it take over. ❄️⛷️

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Find out when you can return to your pre-injury fitness program. After my knee surgery I was really strong and just kept doing what they told me to do. Everyone's injury situation is different so it's probably better to talk to you PT and surgeon and not take internet advice.

BlueSkies

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've come back to skiing after serious injury twice.
First time was after a broken tibia and fibula I didn't ski for 3 years. My daughters were young and life got in the way. When we did go back to skiing, I was just using my normal exercise routine but I took lessons (and actually became a better skier).
The second recovery was after surgery for ACL and meniscus repair. I had 6 months of PT and was told I could consider skiing 9 months after the surgery. Although some of my PT was geared toward getting back on the slopes, for me it still took time on the greens to get my leg strength where it needed to be. But I've always felt for me the best exercise for skiing is to ski. The bigger problem for me was mental and the time on the greens helped with that too.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Should I hire a personal trainer after my PT has concluded?
When I needed to do PT for a knee injury around age 55, I actively took some time to find a fitness center that offered sessions with a personal trainer. I found a private center that was a much better fit than the standard "$10/month" gyms. They had a lot of senior members and that meant classes and exercise machines were more relevant. That's how I met my personal trainer . . . who was older than I was. It was her second career after being a teacher for 25+ years. I continued to work with her for several months after formal PT ended. Did 2-3 sessions a month I think. In the following years, I continued to work with her for 8-12 sessions from Sept-Dec before my ski season started. It was very helpful.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
When I needed to do PT for a knee injury around age 55, I actively took some time to find a fitness center that offered sessions with a personal trainer. I found a private center that was a much better fit than the standard "$10/month" gyms. They had a lot of senior members and that meant classes and exercise machines were more relevant. That's how I met my personal trainer . . . who was older than I was. It was her second career after being a teacher for 25+ years. I continued to work with her for several months after formal PT ended. Did 2-3 sessions a month I think. In the following years, I continued to work with her for 8-12 sessions from Sept-Dec before my ski season started. It was very helpful.

I belong to Gold's Gym and fear that I will not find a personal trainer who will understand the process of rehabilitation from a serious injury. But finding a private center might be a possibility. In fact my rehab center also has a gym, and I will ask today about personal training there.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I belong to Gold's Gym and fear that I will not find a personal trainer who will understand the process of rehabilitation from a serious injury. But finding a private center might be a possibility. In fact my rehab center also has a gym, and I will ask today about personal training there.
I hear ya. I once had a "trainer" at 24 Hr Fitness tell me the only fix for an overtight IT band was surgical snipping....

One may not need a personal trainer per se but might want to get with a fitness facility that offers high level qualified staff and personal attention. I attend "functional fitness" classes run by trainers at a PT facility. This sounds like it might an option!

Keep in mind anyone can call themselves a trainer but there are certifications such as NSCA ( and others) which are way different from the weekend long courses the chain gyms use for their staff.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I came back to skiing after two consecutive years of ACL repairs. (I snapped the second soon after I finished almost 9mos of PT for the first - so you can imagine the demons in my mind upon my second return) - I got new skis, used braces on each knee (still do) - started on the bunny slopes and stick to mostly easy blue trails now. Definitely took a bunch of lessons. I try not to get into terrain too challenging - happy to have a day on long wide runs and live to ski another day. I try really hard not to fall. It’s been 5 years of good luck so far. Early this season my nephew fell into me and while it seemed to not be an issue At the time I recently discovered that fall led to a small meniscus tear and some cartilage damage which was a bummer. No surgery required but does bother me a bit when I run. Oh well. I really can’t let myself fall. I seem to hurt myself each time. :P but I love it so I continue to hope that luck will be on my side and we will have more snow days ahead

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@geargrrl not to hijack thread but having aching side of thigh that may be IT Band. It’s worse at night than moving around during the day.
@skibum4ever i go to a small private studio that specializes in rehab from injuries. Personal trainer once a week and have been doing it about 5-6 years.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I hear ya. I once had a "trainer" at 24 Hr Fitness tell me the only fix for an overtight IT band was surgical snipping....

One may not need a personal trainer per se but might want to get with a fitness facility that offers high level qualified staff and personal attention. I attend "functional fitness" classes run by trainers at a PT facility. This sounds like it might an option!

Keep in mind anyone can call themselves a trainer but there are certifications such as NSCA ( and others) which are way different from the weekend long courses the chain gyms use for their staff.
I might’ve studied harder for my NSCA exams than I did for half of what I took in college! NSCA and ACSM are two of the heavy hitters in personal training.

skibum4ever

Angel Diva
Sorry @santacruz skier I didn't give you credit for the original post.

@skibum4ever i go to a small private studio that specializes in rehab from injuries. Personal trainer once a week and have been doing it about 5-6 years.
[/QUOTE]

I inquired today and the facility I go to for PT also has personal training. It's pretty reasonable and I intend to sign up.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
I might’ve studied harder for my NSCA exams than I did for half of what I took in college! NSCA and ACSM are two of the heavy hitters in personal training.
Fantastic. *This* is training. I've been working with top notch trainers in what they call functional fitness for 12 years. There is a core 4 of us, all 55+ plus, skiers, who LOVE that we can start the ski season with a full day of top to bottom powder runs only stopping for lunch. We've started calling our class AP fitness for "aged persons". :thumbsup:

I just about had a cardiac when my niece told me she got "certified" as a personal trainer with an 8 hour course.:eek:

AJM

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found that after my knee injury several years ago it was more about what was going on my head rather than regaining strength etc. I was super cautious the first season and terrified I would injure it again and really lacked confidence in my skiing. I spoke with a friend who's a doctor and also one of those superhuman sporty outdoorsy types ( the type I will NEVER be !) and she said my mindset was really common and not to be too hard on myself and that it would all come back eventually. It took until the following season before I felt really confident. Wishing you all the best for your journey x

skinnyfootskis

Angel Diva
Yes, ACSM is great! not like many other certification and especially the foreign ones.

water.rat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I started skiing at the beginning of this year after a knee injury last Feb. Followed a similar path to others re: PT, training, etc. I.e. Picked an ortho surgeon who was a skier and a sports oriented rehab clinic. Got a PT who was sympathetic to my goal of returning to skiing asap, gave me ski oriented exercises, etc. PT also talked to me about the head games we torture ourselves with trying to get back into our sports after an injury. My "prescription" for that is one I did not see mentioned here... bought new skis. :-) A lighter, narrower ski with Look Pivot bindings. Might sound a bit silly, but that gave me the confidence to get out there and "get back on that horse," as they say. I still ski a bit more cautiously than formerly, but am working on it. Just last week I skied the black diamond run I fell on a year ago... 3 times!! When getting ready for a ski day, I look at those Bushwhackers, then happily grab the Pandoras instead. Got back on the slopes, but may never get back on those particular skis again.

Peaheartsmama

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Same, DH got me new skis after my 2nd torn ACL. Now I don’t know what to do with the old ones. Haven’t used them since.

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Fantastic. *This* is training. I've been working with top notch trainers in what they call functional fitness for 12 years. There is a core 4 of us, all 55+ plus, skiers, who LOVE that we can start the ski season with a full day of top to bottom powder runs only stopping for lunch. We've started calling our class AP fitness for "aged persons". :thumbsup:

I just about had a cardiac when my niece told me she got "certified" as a personal trainer with an 8 hour course.:eek:

Those “certifications” infuriate me! Both in personal training which I’m not doing anymore and Pilates which I still teach and practice.

Iwannaski

Angel Diva
I will share what I know from my husband’s rehabs …
1) PT is key - but there are actually two phases. first is the direct injury recovery phase and second is a while after to address any bio mechanical “quirks” you acquired to adjust for the injury and recovery. For example, several years after healing, he went to PT to fix some protective actions he had developed that were not great for his body. Make sense?

2) We are both middle aged, had kids later in life and have very active kids. We both separately see a fairly advanced level (not 8 hour course…LOL) personal trainer to work on core and stability around major joints. The personal trainer knows about a lot of our physical issues and works directly with us on them in conjunction with any PT activities.

The key point I’ll make here is that the physical work actually helps with the mental work. I’m terrified of injury, but I’m also fairly confident that I’m strong. The offset to my fear is my confidence. A really great PT and/or trainer can help address the physical issues so that you can feel more confident… BUT, I think the mental stuff would be harder for me in injury recovery, and I think it was for my husband, as well. this is where lessons can be a great bridge? Because sometimes hearing an expert observe, adjust and reassure is all that is needed?

jenniferm

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’ve come back twice, once from a fractured pelvis and once from a bad break in my upper thigh, My first “comeback” I skied with a friend of mine who is a level II instructor (although non practicing), the second one I started with a private lesson. Both times it was absolutely fine, no problem or pain at all. Which always surprised me as they were both fairly serious injuries. I did PT and I’m in ok shape but not great shape. So you don’t really know until you get out there.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna