• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Resolution for 2019: Don't Improve My Skiing

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I know, it's heresy.

But I've been working hard on my skiing for three years, and I've stagnated on an upper-intermediate plateau. I have properly-fitting boots, nice skis, all the stuff. I've taken lots of lessons. I have a basic skill-set that gets me around the mountain mostly, but not on icy blacks or bumps or ungroomed snow.

And I have a work schedule that's going to keep me from skiing most of this season.

When I have a chance to ski, I want to enjoy it. I don't want to think about whether my turns are rounded enough, whether I'm "forward" enough (because I still don't really know what that means), or whether anything is happening except me having fun.

Earlier this year I threw a pair of skis in the car. One pair. And they are fat, soft, twin-tips, which most people would say are terrible East Coast skis. They are called "Soul Riders," which I think is a perfect match for my philosophy this year.

Now when I have a chance to ski, I don't think about my "quiver," I just grab the Soul Riders from the back of the car. I goof around, don't care about speed or finesse or edge grip, or conditions. I don't even care if they are waxed. I only care about having fun.

I am making a resolution not to care about my skiing in 2019. This year, I will not:
  • Take a lesson
  • Look at video of myself skiing
  • Talk about my skiing technique
  • Demo skis
  • Do drills

Today at work I'm borrowing a snowboard and taking it to the beginner hill to goof around. I might get some advice, because I work at a ski school, but I'm not going to take a lesson.

I'll probably fall a lot.

I don't care.

As long as it's fun.

Happy Soulful New Year!

MissySki

Angel Diva
I've been in the same spot @SallyCat. Some years ago I took a season long lesson package in an all women's group and progressed alot. The next season I decided to do a race clinic instead, and I just wasn't feeling it. Started to feel too structured every weekend, and doing race drills on powder days sucked. I found myself longing to just play and have fun without constantly nitpicking myself which was starting to make me more anxious than anything when I was on the mountain. After that season I decided to give up on lessons for a bit, and it's been nice. Doesn't mean I never work on anything, but I took the pressure off! It's been a few years now, and I've been wanting to get back into some lessons to work on more specific things like we've discussed previously with bumps and ungroomed terrain in particular. Unfortunately the conditions haven't really been cooperating to do this, but that's okay, no rush. You'll have ebbs and flows in your ski journey, and I think that's just part of the way of things. I definitely agree that fun is the most important thing, so do whatever you need to have fun!

P.S. On the snowboarding, even with a lesson I was on the ground most of the day so... lol. I actually want to try it again, but not sure when. I plan to probably do it at Killington when I do since their terrain based learning is supposed to be great. One thing I did get for my first attempt was wrist guards, have heard too many stories of people falling and breaking heir wrists on a snowboard when they brace for the fall. Goodluck!

Jilly

Staff member
I did this a few years ago. I decided that I wanted to ski and enjoy my friends. Not teach (don't need the money), just ski. But I am taking a few sessions. I always do the CSIA east convention to keep me up to date if I should decided to return to teaching. And 2 some type of clinic through the year. That is to make sure I'm not picking up any bad habits from my friends. I can't make the CSIA Ladies Edge Camp this year due to conflicts as work. But there is a new Boomer's Camp that I'm going to call on.

I run my own business and really want to keep my weekends open for me to relax from the week. Teaching 1 night a week or on the weekends just makes it too busy.

SkiBam

Angel Diva
But there is a new Boomer's Camp that I'm going to call on.

We met the guy who runs this on the chair one day and thought it sounded interesting. But one of our group investigated and the cost is about double that of CSIA clinics. The only thing I've signed up so far this year is the free half-day PDP session (from the CSIA).

But I agree with the "having fun" part. This is truly what's it's all about. And as I get older, I'm focusing more on pure enjoyment and only going out on days when I really feel I want to.

KBee

Angel Diva
This is what it's all about. I'm revising my goals this year, too. One pair of skis, snow, gravity. Skiing like a kid. It's always more fun to stop thinking about it.

marzNC

Angel Diva
I had good fun for a decade or two skiing groomers in rear-entry boots and straight skis that were bought as a package deal for $100 . Opted to spend the money on plane tickets for a trip out west every 2-3 years. Didn't feel any pressure to work on improving technique at that stage of my life.

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome to my mental space, @SallyCat!

I was skiing well, headed toward the upper intermediate range. A few years of little skiing -- poor conditions, injuries, senior dog -- and I regressed. I started pushing to reclaim that spot. It seemed every ski day that I wasn't back there, I felt "less". That isn't healthy or helpful. Being around better skiers fuels that also. So I've pulled back. No lessons for me this season. No useless cliched tip from another skier -- i.e., "pull your feet back" -- that when I ask "how" or what that means, they explain with "just pull your feet back". Ohhh, that word JUST clarifies sooo much ... Thank You. :rolleyes:

I was starting to see a crossroads ahead -- Skiing vs. Give Up Skiing. My goal is to find the joy of skiing every time I go out ... so I can take the Skiing path every time I reach that crossroads. I'm thinking about keeping black diamonds off the menu for this season. Lap green and blue trails. Revel in the BEing of Skiing.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Lap green and blue trails. Revel in the BEing of Skiing.
I had the most fun on the blues during my northeast ski safari during early season. Did a few blacks, but wasn't looking to do anything but work my way down with stops to catch a view just to satisfy my curiosity. Didn't repeat any black trails. What I call "tourist skiing" usually includes riding the beginner lift for the view. Often the best view of the rest of the mountain or surrounding area.

Being able to ski midweek means there is much less reason to get off blues onto black terrain simply to avoid less-experienced skiers or those who think they are "experts" as they speed down blue trails.

kiki

Angel Diva
@SallyCat wishing you a super fun relaxed season!! It makes me feel better to know I'm not the only one needing a break from the pressure.

This year I'm going for balance. I want to progress my skiing so i am safe and comfortable and good enough to ski with friends (hint: any of you visiting WB please lets meet up!! Please please please!) but this season I'm not pushing myself to pain or tears.

I did sign up for a 15 day lesson package but if I'm tired or not jelling with the group, i will leave at noon (or earlier if necessary) instead of staying the whole day. I'm asking for low key days when i check in and making sure to go easy. This year I'm not pushing for stretch goals every day. A lesson day can be fun and still get me back on track without being stressful.

I was in a lesson on Tuesday and i had such a nice day. It wasn't the right level class and we had to ski much slower than i like but it was a good teacher and she had me working on stuff relevant to me and i worked on how to control speed going slow too. I had such a fun day, i left smiling and pain free.

For me- a balanced fun season is ahead! enjoy the fresh air and scenery and the people and the exercise.

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Let us know how boarding goes! I tried it a few years ago and would like to try again some day. Unfortunately, I gave myself a hairline fracture in my wrist at the end of the day. Didn't call it soon enough.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
I am making a resolution not to care about my skiing in 2019. This year, I will not:
  • Take a lesson
  • Look at video of myself skiing
  • Talk about my skiing technique
  • Demo skis
  • Do drills
@SallyCat you really made me smile when I read your post. Last season at Taos when I did the Ski Week was the first time in probably 20 years (or more) to get instruction. Honestly, I never really thought about it until this forum!
The instructor was very kind. She only gave me one thing every other day to work on! Mostly "chin up" and "dorsiflexion" (which at the time didn't have a clue what she was talking about until demonstrating on the chairlift)....

mustski

Angel Diva
LOL. Now that I am retired, I may actually take a few lessons again. It's not that I didn't need them before, it's that I wanted to just have fun on the weekends which were the only time I could ski. I probably will wait until next season though and go for a ski week in Taos.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I'm right behind you at 43 seasons......
44 for me.
53 for DH.
33 for DS.
130 ski seasons, in one family.
None missed. Even with some crushing injuries - and heart surgery (DH).
If I need drills, pointers, follow-leader, I have the great luxury of being married to L2 instructor. If I snowboarded, I'd have L3 at my disposal (DS).

We're all just cruising now. :smile:
Or - maybe I should just speak for myself? :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly