• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Resolution for 2019: Don't Improve My Skiing

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If I need drills, pointers, follow-leader, I have the great luxury of being married to L2 instructor.
Great luxury, indeed. He is a gem WRT ski instruction. If the NE was convenient, I'd be tempted to bend my "no lessons" rule a bit.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Absolutely agree skiing is all about the FUN vs. Form!

I have been skiing for 56yrs OMG I'm old!! But not when I ski!! It's the best thing I do and my favorite thing TO Do! I've never missed a year skiing, I would be a mental mess- I 'NEED' actually I "HAVE" to Ski.

I also have been going to Taos for the ski week (2nd yr this yr) I didn't think I could learn anything or change anything but I got a lot out of the week and I had a blast.

Instructors make or break clinics/lessons. I've had some bad/poor experiences at PSIA clinics dealing w/male egos. No FUN.

When I teach I make sure Safety and Fun are what my students walk away with, they may not end up with the best form but they'll be safe and skiing in control. I want them to feel good about their skiing and have fun so they come back to ski some more.

Skiing to me, is about the freedom to ski at your own pace, enjoy the woods, snow, visuals at each mountain. For me I feel like I'm flying, I like to make my own roller coaster ride.

Skiing with friends, being able smile and laugh on the lift - toasting a beer/wine after conquering a big trail/Mt or after a great fun day skiing. Gotta say The Ski Diva has made my skiing a lot more fun, I love to travel and now have the best time w/Diva friends skiing different Mts. Here's to more runs together and as always: No pressure except on the edges.

SallyCat

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Good idea! My tailbone was very unhappy, crash pad shorts would have been nice!

Well, I didn't fall, but that's because I was super-timid. I had my front foot strapped in, but not the rear, and I just goofed around on the terrain-based-learning area's "mini-pipe" (a small ditch). I do feel like I'm ready to strap both feet in and take the beating I know is coming when I try to make turns. :-)

newboots

Angel Diva
I'm right behind you at 43 seasons......

Between Mr. Blizzard and me, a total of 57 seasons. Sadly, only 3 of them are mine! That includes this year.

I still really need to work on skills, unfortunately. I’d rather be cruising. Skiing with my sister-in-law Saturday - a very experienced L2 - in likely sub-zero weather. That will be an adventure!

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I discovered an issue in my left turn. The tail of the new inside ski hangs up, causing mayhem until I somehow correct it. I'm still not going to get into a bunch of lessons, but I am going to take one lesson to identify and correct that problem. I see the potential for some real ugly if I don't fix it.

Loveland offers 2-hour private lessons. Anyone familiar with instructors there and have a recommendation?

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Well, I discovered an issue in my left turn. The tail of the new inside ski hangs up, causing mayhem until I somehow correct it. I'm still not going to get into a bunch of lessons, but I am going to take one lesson to identify and correct that problem. I see the potential for some real ugly if I don't fix it.

Loveland offers 2-hour private lessons. Anyone familiar with instructors there and have a recommendation?
Does it matter which ski you are on? Meaning, do you have a dedicated L/R ski or do you just put it on whichever foot?

vickie

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Not dedicated L/R. And I have not had any skis maintenance this year. Maybe that should be my first step.

I call it my "phantom Phantom" approach to ski maintenance. Not using Phantom AND not waxing!:humble:

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Noticed my right tail was hanging up in the bumps a little. Maybe tune issue, maybe skier issue?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Maybe a simple fix. Slide that new inside foot straight back about 3" (no twisting, just straight backwards under your body) just as you get ready to start the new turn. To do this sliding, you'll need to have your weight move to the new outside ski, and you'll end up shortening the pull-back-leg. Work on sliding it back slowly and progressively, and keeping pulling it back through the entire turn so it doesn't slide forward.

Work on the new-inside-foot-pull-back on baby terrain first, at snail-slow speeds. Try it as you slide down from the chair, too (you'll get a slow and easy parallel turn on flat skis!). The pull-back will seem easier when you get more speed and have momentum helping you afterwards.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Hmm wonder if that would work in the bumps. As they were getting bigger and closer together is when I noticed my "tail" was hanging up.

MissySki

Angel Diva
I had this issue in a past boot where my alignment was off.. So on one foot my ski wasn't running as flat as the other, and this would sometimes cause my tail on that side to get caught up in the transition when everything should be off edge. Didn't happen all of the time, I guess because I had adapted to ski that way, but if I was tired or uncomfortable in certain conditions it would exacerbate it. When I started doing a race clinic one of my instructors pointed it out commenting on how well I had adapted my skiing with the misalignment to be able to match my edge angles most of the time. Everything made a lot more sense after figuring that out!

Last edited:

Skisailor

Angel Diva

Hi @vickie.

Can’t help with an instructor name - but something you can try:

If you are:
- turning your upper body - even slightly - into the turn (i.e. to the left), or
- tilting into the turn,

it can cause the problem you describe. The movements that can cause this can be very very small!! A tiny dip of the left shoulder as you start your left turn . . . A tiny bit of shoulder rotation to the left - sometimes even just looking over into the new turn with your head or tilting your head to the left as you start the turn can cause this!

The fix??? Make sure you only think of the first half of the turn first. Go downhill. THEN finish the turn.

The going downhill part can be just for a moment. But you’ve got long sticks on your feet and you’ve got to turn them. Get them pointed down the fallline before you turn them to the left.

Might be worth a try.

This is the type of issue that surfaces when you start getting into terrain that is steeper or more challenging for you. I wonder if you’ve noticed that. We don’t mind going downhill first in easy runs. But we do once it gets steep.

Littlesonique

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Since I started skiing at 47 after a foot injury, I try not to worry much or get frustrated. My main goal is to just have fun and be able to make it down the mountain in one piece while skiing with my husband and kids. It's all about the adventure and thrill.

A lot of times we are too hard on ourselves and focused on being better instead of enjoying the journey. Once you focus on enjoyment and letting go of expectations, that is when the real magic happens!

So glad you had fun playing around!!

Attachments

• 699D8B00-D48B-4F28-9B32-6877FFF8685A.jpeg
    699D8B00-D48B-4F28-9B32-6877FFF8685A.jpeg
    189.2 KB · Views: 0

Powgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hi @vickie.

Can’t help with an instructor name - but something you can try:

If you are:
- turning your upper body - even slightly - into the turn (i.e. to the left), or
- tilting into the turn,

it can cause the problem you describe. The movements that can cause this can be very very small!! A tiny dip of the left shoulder as you start your left turn . . . A tiny bit of shoulder rotation to the left - sometimes even just looking over into the new turn with your head or tilting your head to the left as you start the turn can cause this!

The fix??? Make sure you only think of the first half of the turn first. Go downhill. THEN finish the turn.

The going downhill part can be just for a moment. But you’ve got long sticks on your feet and you’ve got to turn them. Get them pointed down the fallline before you turn them to the left.

Might be worth a try.

This is the type of issue that surfaces when you start getting into terrain that is steeper or more challenging for you. I wonder if you’ve noticed that. We don’t mind going downhill first in easy runs. But we do once it gets steep.

This is my big Ah-ha moment for the season! I have been working on this very thing...and it can be a bit scary at first, but it has helped my skiing so much!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna