• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Reservations: two philosophies

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have visions of trying to use a porta potty in ski boots, ski pants, base layers, facemask, helmet and jacket without having my feet slide out from under me on the Porta potty floor and having me land, or my garments land, in said Porta potty receptacle! I’m not tremendously graceful in ski boots!

And I worry about being a solo skier a certain amount of the time. Just being able to get on and off the lift! So much to think about!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think a porta potty will be less hygenic. There may be a sanitizer dispenser, but you can't wash your hands. You'll have to touch the latch and maybe the toilet lid after lots of other probably gross dirty hands have. At least in a restroom you can scrub.

I had pretty much decided on bolting inside trying not to breathe and scrubbing really hard! But that definitely pushed my decision over to indoors!

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Porta potties skeeve me out but I'm seeing more luxurious ones complete with mirrors, lighting and washroom sink. I noticed higher end food and wine festivals using them a few years ago. Perhaps we'll soon have a thread about which mountains have the fanciest potties soon. If I managed a mountain, I'd give the people the most luxurious potty experience ever. This, in addition to my spicy margarita fountains hidden in the trees would make for an excellent experience for all Divas. Mountains should consult me!

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Porta potties skeeve me out but I'm seeing more luxurious ones complete with mirrors, lighting and washroom sink. I noticed higher end food and wine festivals using them a few years ago. Perhaps we'll soon have a thread about which mountains have the fanciest potties soon. If I managed a mountain, I'd give the people the most luxurious potty experience ever. This, in addition to my spicy margarita fountains hidden in the trees would make for an excellent experience for all Divas. Mountains should consult me!

Margarita fountain sounds great! You better have a lot of Porta potty’s though!

Jenny

Angel Diva
As gross as lotta potties can be, I have to say that our local Irish festival does a fantastic job of keeping them clean and they also have real running water sinks with hot water for washing, in addition to sanitizer.

And, as @Abbi said - I simply can’t imaging trying to juggle all the winter stuff in a porta potty.

newboots

Angel Diva
My daughter did have a nice (and large) one at her wedding, and not the fanciest one on the market, either. Much harder with ski equipment, I'm sure, but not much harder than the bathrooms at Berkshire East, many of which had those little short toilets appropriate for 4th graders. And the floors were of course always wet. (Snow, but yuck.)

MissySki

Angel Diva
Am I incorrect in remembering a porta potty or composting toilet situation somewhere on the mountain at Big Sky? I for some reason really vaguely think a bunch of us used it at one of the Diva West trips.. If memory serves, it was a mid mountain type of location, so you were all geared up, and I don't remember it being an issue logistically. Am I nuts, or is this a real thing I'm thinkin of?? :rotf:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^ There's a hut with bathrooms mid-mountain.
Ride up the swift current quad, ski to rider's right down towards the powder seeker 6-seater lift. The hut is on your right before you get there. I don't know about a porta-potty.

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Am I incorrect in remembering a porta potty or composting toilet situation somewhere on the mountain at Big Sky? I for some reason really vaguely think a bunch of us used it at one of the Diva West trips.. If memory serves, it was a mid mountain type of location, so you were all geared up, and I don't remember it being an issue logistically. Am I nuts, or is this a real thing I'm thinkin of?? :rotf:
There have been some free standing ones. You're probably thinking of the one that appeared/disappeared at the site of the old burrito shack atop Swift Current and/or the other 2 on the Moonlight side (atop Six Shooter and Lone Tree). Then there are the buildings that @liquidfeet mentions. One across from Powder Seeker and another next to patrol atop Ramcharger 8.

Last edited:

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
^^ There's a hut with bathrooms mid-mountain.
Ride up the swift current quad, ski to rider's right down towards the powder seeker 6-seater lift. The hut is on your right before you get there. I don't know about a porta-potty.

That's the stink-a-lot building. Eww. #sogross!

MissySki

Angel Diva
You remember correctly. There have been some free standing ones. You're probably thinking of the one that appeared/disappeared at the site of the old burrito shack atop Swift Current and/or the other 2 on the Moonlight side (atop Six Shooter and Lone Tree).

Yes! Okay, thanks for that confirmation! :smile: I can then say for sure that a bunch of us used that fully geared up with no problem. haha

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I received my Wachusett season pass today. I'm still thinking about whether it will be safe enough to drive 1.5 hours to and fro for a day of skiing there, given the vulnerability of family here at home. I cannot bring that virus back to the house. Cannot. DH is seriously vulnerable.

Breathing air in public bathrooms is the thing that worries me the most, not lift lines or chair lifts. I will stay 100% out of the lodge and boot up and down and eat in the car. If there are outdoor portapotties with open "windows" letting in outside air, I may use those. Maybe. At least the air will be exchanged. And I won't touch anything.

Or I may return the season pass and just not ski.

Or find a bathroom alternative in the car (yuk!)

I guess I could buy a P100 respirator, one of those big full-face or half-face coverings with round filter holders left and right, and walk into the lodge wearing it to use the bathroom. Oh the horror! Is this better than the N95s I've already got? Maybe not.

But who cares how goofy I look. Hmmm.... that may be what I'll do. This is the first time I've considered this way to deal with this whole thing. Hmmmmm.....
Or find a bathroom alternative in the car (yuk!)
You know I have been thinking A LOT about the bathroom issue. This summer I bought a couple devices that were like the hugest relief on a road trip I took to visit a friend (safety and legally between NH and Maine). I had NEVER heard of these things and they were life changing.

Air ventilation is really the key to this I think and there's no way I will go in a porta potty and want to do all I can to stay out of the lodge.

I have my plan down to use this device before I boot up and if need be come back to my car to use it again. Hey, it's not elegant, but it works.

Then someone told me dudes just go in the woods. I was not brought up that way, but one of these devices makes that super easy too. I think I will do my car strategy (or use it between the passenger side opened doors pulled off somewhere no one can see me and if it's not too cold and I did that on my road trip). Amazon has all of these things. I've tried a few (Pee-buddy (great), also bought Syarme female urination device (great) and just bought Travel John). And really there's others with hysterical names ("you go girl", "tinkerbell"). I have to say even IF I go in the lodge I will use the Pee-buddy for speed and efficiency (and who likes to sit in boots!).

I'm waiting for an enterprising company that invents fully sterilizing (air too) porta pottys---one day that would be great and even better right by the lifts!

altagirl

Staff member
Just be aware... resorts like Alta and Snowbird are in watershed areas. I know guys who have been threatened with huge fines for peeing in the parking lot (I think a first time watershed violation is $650). And the Marshal does patrol regularly...

TNtoTaos

Angel Diva
These devices can be used in the car in conjunction with a jar or other storage container, which can then be dumped into a bathroom at home, or wherever. I use a plastic laundry detergent bottle in my van, so as not to have to exit the van or use my sit-down potty at night. Bonus is that the detergent was lavendar-scented, and the container still retains that aroma, regardless of how many times it's been used and washed.

I've heard of some folks using plastic Nalgene-type water bottles, which can be carried anywhere without anyone noticing, lol.

WhyKnot

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
My daughter did have a nice (and large) one at her wedding, and not the fanciest one on the market, either. Much harder with ski equipment, I'm sure, but not much harder than the bathrooms at Berkshire East, many of which had those little short toilets appropriate for 4th graders. And the floors were of course always wet. (Snow, but yuck.)
OMG when I see the toilet height in so many lodges I have remarked to myself that there's NO way a woman designed these. This is the first time I have read anyone articulate what has been in my head.

(And check out out the maybe not too elegant but certainly useful "PeeBuddy" / "Freedom to stand and pee" on Amazon for a way, perhaps to make that situation easier/more sanitary and faster if you plan to go into lodges. And the reviews are all great to read.)

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
Re urination devices: I have this one, which I think was the first one out. It works fine; I used it hiking a few weeks ago. I actually practiced before I left home, though, since it'd been a long time since I used it and I didn't want to wet my shoes. :rolleyes:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly