• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Repairing goggle foam?

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of Oakley Stockholm goggles. They don't make them anymore, and I ripped the foam, so snow is falling into my eyes. I called Oakley, but since they're out of warranty and not made anymore, they said they can't do anything (I find it a little ridiculous that they say they can't replace *FOAM* because of that particular model being out of production, but okay).

Google tells me someone on Epic suggested the foam on dry cleaner hangers. Thoughts? Other options? How would I glue it?

I just noticed there's a hole in the lower foam, too, but it's not likely for snow to fall up!

I do have a new pair of goggles I like even better, but these lenses are still in great shape and I even have a spare lens for them, so I'd like to keep them in rotation or as backup.

snow addict

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Epoxy? Or check with stores that sell stuff for crafts, there are glues now that can hold together lot of things, fabrics and various materials included. Some sponges for kitchens and bathrooms can also be also the source of foam. If I had a spare lens I would also try to fix the goggles. I loved my Stcokholms. They didn't fit with my POC helmet so I sold them to a friend. How did you rip them? Is there a hole that you want to patch up?

altagirl

Staff member
My husband has tried this to disastrous results. Like face scratched up from the not perfectly even glue. He was miserable and the the goggles in the trash.

I've never seen anyone do this successfully. My recommendation is to buy new ones, sadly. I think there is a reason they don't sell replacement foam and it's because it's very difficult to replace to good results.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
How did you rip them? Is there a hole that you want to patch up?

There's a hole in the lower foam, which I don't care about.

The rip in the upper foam is just a rip - I didn't even see it at first because when the goggles are dry and just sitting around, the foam sits on top of the plastic or rubber or whatever and looks like it's in place.

If I had to guess, this could have happened during a pretty gnarly fall I took Friday. Or at any point in any of my tree skiing.

altagirl

Staff member
(I just "liked" altagirl's post, but I would like to clarify that I do not "like" it, I "agree" with it. Or something like that.)
I don't like it either, I just don't have any good news about this subject.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
Agree with @altagirl - sorry to say. :frown:
For those of us who take really good care of our goggles (lenses especially), we really can't do much about the aging and eventual disintegration of the foam.

I've been there.
Not likely worth your time and effort.

Jilly

Staff member
I sell foam gasket-ting and can't think of anything soft enough that would stand up.

Time to retire those one. Maybe you can sell the lenses on eBay?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which lens? My amber lens is scratched all to hell.

bounceswoosh

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Which lens? My amber lens is scratched all to hell.

Naturally, it's in the mountains. I'll let you know when I visit it again ... maybe this weekend. It's probably a medium or bright light lens.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
many kinds of glue dissolve foam so you have to be very careful which kind you choose, if you decide to do it.

2ski2moro

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
If you can find foam, I would suggest double-sided tape.

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
We tried the spray adhesive route and worked, for about 2 days.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly