• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

rental or demo bindings with powder-wide brakes

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Where's the best place to find some bindings I can put over my new 114mm wide powder skis? Without breaking the bank? I'd prefer to do rental or demo bindings so that I can lend them to friends and/or play around with the effective mounting point a bit.

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Decide on the binding and start hunting. Most rental shops sell their gear every year...granted you get a pair of planks with them, but might still be less money. That said, I am not sure I would go for the used and reused now on sale demo binding, as the springs and set screws have seen a ton of use. The width is a no issue as long as the model has multiple increments of brake sizes that can be bought with the binding.

End of season is a good time to pick up new gear.

novium

Certified Ski Diva
Decide on the binding and start hunting. Most rental shops sell their gear every year...granted you get a pair of planks with them, but might still be less money. That said, I am not sure I would go for the used and reused now on sale demo binding, as the springs and set screws have seen a ton of use. The width is a no issue as long as the model has multiple increments of brake sizes that can be bought with the binding.

End of season is a good time to pick up new gear.
Aha, I did not realize you could buy the brakes separately. Thank you!

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@novium, yes, most bindings come with a range. If just a millimeter or two it is sometimes easy to bend them out. Do look for a close fit, or the brake tends to get caught in the pants if it is too far out from the edge of the ski. I would ask a reputable shop to help you. Sometimes the makers of a ski have a recommended binding for that ski, another way to go.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Level nine has some Attack 13 demos with a 95 mm brake for a good price.

95mm on a 114mm ski will be small. Since demo bindings aren't sold everywhere, I would make sure you have a brake in the correct size lined up before purchasing the binding. I'd stick to 110-120mm for a ski that size.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
95mm on a 114mm ski will be small.
Yeah, but I was assuming the Attack 13 demo brakes would be the same as regular Attack 13, and so could probably be ordered from the shop she will get them mounted at. Are they not the same brakes?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Don't assume you can find the brakes easily. Line up that purchase before buying the binding. I speak from experience. Talk to someone in the shop where you will have them mounted before buying the brakes and bindings. 95 brakes won't work with 114 skis.

elemmac

Angel Diva
Yeah, but I was assuming the Attack 13 demo brakes would be the same as regular Attack 13, and so could probably be ordered from the shop she will get them mounted at. Are they not the same brakes?

I’m pretty certain they’re different, and much harder to come by. No idea how easy it would be for a shop to get a set on special order.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Or for nondemo attack 13, evo has them in 110 in green and on sale. Or the Salomon/atomic wardens come in 115.

FYI - I put warden 11 90s on a 93 ski (which many shops supposedly do) but I have to say they’re a pain to unpair, I find myself often having to pull the brakes out a little to release them from each other. I think also due to the very defined notches on these particular brakes.

elemmac

Angel Diva
FYI - I put warden 11 90s on a 93 ski (which many shops supposedly do) but I have to say they’re a pain to unpair, I find myself often having to pull the brakes out a little to release them from each other. I think also due to the very defined notches on these particular brakes.

Not sure about the Warden 11 specifically, but sometimes you can take a pocket knife and shave a little of the rubber off if the inside of the brake. It smooths out the inside (especially if there are little nubs on the rubber), and makes them a bit easier to unlatch from each other. Just don’t take too much off.

Sparky

Angel Diva
Not sure about the Warden 11 specifically, but sometimes you can take a pocket knife and shave a little of the rubber off if the inside of the brake. It smooths out the inside (especially if there are little nubs on the rubber), and makes them a bit easier to unlatch from each other. Just don’t take too much off.
Oh thanks, I’ll try that!

Belgiangirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I found Marker F12 tour bindings with 50% off by going to the official Marker website where they list all their resellers and checking them one by one. A bit time consuming, but worth it imo. Couldn't find any worthwhile deals just googling for them (a lot of the smaller webshops don't seem to be SEO-optimized and don't show up in the results).

I agree that if you're buying bindings with the wrong size brakes, it would be a good idea to look around for the appropriate brakes first. I stupidly forgot one of the brakes of my Marker Griffons on my last trip to France. Thought it wouldn't be too hard to find one ski brake for such a popular binding. Well, turns out I was wrong :frown:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly