• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rental Gear Recommendation - Colorado

Super Lin

Diva in Training
Two part question: Skied for first time in many years a few years ago. Realized I still loved it - but had horrible experience with rental boots. I have large calves and the boots were not a good fit - found this forum and realized I was not the only one who has experienced leg pain with bad boots. Great tips! Next ski trip - tried to get my own boots - but waited too late. Did better with rental gear - not great, but tolerable.

Fast forward to today. About to head out on a last minute ski trip. I'm bigger and more out of shape than a couple years ago, but don't want that to hamper the family fun. Going to Colorado - totally unknown territory for me (but Denver was best flight prices!) So....I'm worrying about gear. Planning to avoid the big resorts - will probably start at Cooper near Leadville. Was thinking better to rent gear closer to Denver?

ANY suggestions on how to get boots that aren't excruiating and where to rent them is much appreciated! (Not opposed to buying - but realize unlikely to find what I need this late in year.) Also - any general tips on the area I mention. Thanks much!!!!

Chuyi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry didn't answer earlier. I had to rent boots a couple weeks ago and hated them. Late in the season you may find good deals (cheaper than rentals) . For a large Calf you may need a lower cuff. Stop by a couple of shops and try boots. Or a boot fitter may help you pick out a boot that fits best. Avoid the very expensive surefoot store.

Super Lin

Diva in Training
Thanks so much! I did rent a rear-entry boot (I know controversial for performance). As far as a rental boot, it was definitely the most wearable I have rented. Lower cuff sounds like a plan - would love some newer model recommendations (maybe a different post). Funny you mention "Surefoot" - the rental shop I got gear in suggested a guy at the one close to them for boot fitting -

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Thanks so much! I did rent a rear-entry boot (I know controversial for performance). As far as a rental boot, it was definitely the most wearable I have rented. Lower cuff sounds like a plan - would love some newer model recommendations (maybe a different post). Funny you mention "Surefoot" - the rental shop I got gear in suggested a guy at the one close to them for boot fitting -
You need to have your feet measured and try boots specially if you do not know what kind of feet you have. Boots are the most important equipment.
You need to spend a lot of time finding/trying on the best fitted boots. Not many stores carry many options, so you need to try, at least, a few stores in order for you to try many boots. Do not get them at the first store. Try them in the afternoon. If possible, try to find a good boot fitters instead of stores.
Also, Google what you should be looking for, in terms of "good fitting ski boots".

Super Lin

Diva in Training
You need to have your feet measured and try boots specially if you do not know what kind of feet you have. Boots are the most important equipment.
You need to spend a lot of time finding/trying on the best fitted boots. Not many stores carry many options, so you need to try, at least, a few stores in order for you to try many boots. Do not get them at the first store. Try them in the afternoon. If possible, try to find a good boot fitters instead of stores.
Also, Google what you should be looking for, in terms of "good fitting ski boots".
Thanks so much! I have only started to get casually back into skiing after many years....I do understand the importance of a good fitting boot. I think even more so now that I am a bit more "mature". :-) Sounds like there is a highly recommended boot fitter in Columbia, SC - probably the closest for me. I am wondering about his selection of boots - plan to reach out to him soon.

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Thanks so much! I have only started to get casually back into skiing after many years....I do understand the importance of a good fitting boot. I think even more so now that I am a bit more "mature". :-) Sounds like there is a highly recommended boot fitter in Columbia, SC - probably the closest for me. I am wondering about his selection of boots - plan to reach out to him soon.
Columbia, SC? No. Do not go to him. He might be great in Columbia, but that is because there is no one else in Columbia.
Wait till you go to a ski town where there are more than one.
He will not have many selection either. You need to go to more than one shop to try more than few boots to find a pair since you are not experienced in this process unfortunately.
I have a house in Atlanta. I spend time there when I am not here skiing. I would not even think about going to any of them.

Super Lin

Diva in Training
Good thoughts - just saw some high recommendations on this site. I know I need to start this process early - so I'm not in same situation come ski season next winter! :-)

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Good thoughts - just saw some high recommendations on this site. I know I need to start this process early - so I'm not in same situation come ski season next winter! :-)
Correct.
You cannot do this in a hurry or selecting a pair out of very a limited source. You will be very sorry.
Do expect to spend hours or days. Once you buy a pair, unlike someone like me who skis near 150 days a season, they will be with you for years. So, it might not be easy, but you will be happy you invested your time in finding a pair for you.

Super Lin

Diva in Training
Wa shoping for somewhere I could drive - but maybe not possible since I live in Georgia! If a summer trip - would be CO or MT. Please feel free to suggest shops :-)

Mudgirl630

Angel Diva
Well, as I said, I live in GA and NC when I am not here in CO. The summer time is not the time to shop for ski boots as many shops would not carry them. If they do, they would be a left over. You need to have a day or so extra and shop for them when you go out to ski out West next time. If you knew what you are looking for by knowing your feet, possible to sjop online, but that is not your case at all.

SarahXC

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wouldn’t shy away from checking into boot fitting in Columbia, SC. I have head good things about him from basically all the instructors and patrollers around here (Cataloochee, NC).

Super Lin

Diva in Training
Yeah - have heard that he has major knowledge - from others on here.

When I mention summer - I guess I'm thinking pre-ski season, but when new boots are in stores. I know if I wait until a ski trip - it could be that some models that would be good for me could start selling out.

Just excited that I am excited again about skiing!!!

marzNC

Angel Diva
Sounds like there is a highly recommended boot fitter in Columbia, SC - probably the closest for me. I am wondering about his selection of boots - plan to reach out to him soon.
The boot fitter in Columbia is a special case. I think he is better for someone who has been through a boot fitting in a more traditional setting first. There are some boot fitter who focus more on the process of tweaking boots more than the selling of boots.

There are boot fitters in NC who are pretty good. But not of the caliber and experience as can be found near destination resorts.

Lately I've been getting tweaks done for the boots I bought from a very experienced boot fitter near Raleigh, NC during trips to Taos. Boot Doctors there is very good. However, I wouldn't buy boots there because they don't carry any 3-buckle boots, which is what works best for me.

marzNC

Angel Diva
When I mention summer - I guess I'm thinking pre-ski season, but when new boots are in stores. I know if I wait until a ski trip - it could be that some models that would be good for me could start selling out.
All the boots that I've bought from boot fitters in NC in the past dozen years were "new old stock." The first was from a ski shop near Sugar Mountain. The second and third pairs were from a boot fitter near Raleigh. I bought the first pair of basic recreational boots during the annual SugarFest weekend in mid-December when there were pre-season sales. I bought the other boots in March during late-season sales. Since I ski at Alta in April, I could get a feel for the boots soon enough. If I needed a tweak during the ski trip, I was willing to pay for the help from one of the ski shops at Alta.

Super Lin

Diva in Training
All the boots that I've bought from boot fitters in NC in the past dozen years were "new old stock." The first was from a ski shop near Sugar Mountain. The second and third pairs were from a boot fitter near Raleigh. I bought the first pair of basic recreational boots during the annual SugarFest weekend in mid-December when there were pre-season sales. I bought the other boots in March during late-season sales. Since I ski at Alta in April, I could get a feel for the boots soon enough. If I needed a tweak during the ski trip, I was willing to pay for the help from one of the ski shops at Alta.
Thanks, appreciate these thoughts! May I ask the name of the shop/boot fitter near Raleigh? Aaah - Alta!! ❤

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks, appreciate these thoughts! May I ask the name of the shop/boot fitter near Raleigh? Aaah - Alta!! ❤
I work with Dick, who is the owner of C&R Ski in Hillsborough. Best to call first to set up a time. Dick is around all year round since the shop switches to water sports and biking after the snow melts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly