• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Question: Renoun Z90s

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hello Divas,

Long time lurker first time poster. I am an East Coaster currently skiing on Absolut Joys and love them. I have been looking for a ski to take out West and just pulled the trigger on the Z90s. Yes it's terrifying to buy a new pair of skis for so much money that cannot be demoed. But I know they have a great return policy.

I am intermediate/ sometimes advanced skier really hoping to take my skiing to the next level. So my main question is do the Renouns turn easily? I tried to Volkl Auras last year in JH and HATED them (sorry). From what I've read here the Renouns are a super ski but I hope they will not be too much ski for me.

For the first time in my life I am taking lessons and want a ski that feels good now but that I can also grow into. I am headed next week to the Okemo Women's Alpine Adventure and hope to make some progress.

Any feedback is appreciated and thank you for the community!

Mary

ski diva

Administrator
Staff member
OMIGOSH, I'm so sorry; I just saw this!

I have a pair of Z90's and absolutely love them. You can see my review here in my blog.

I would also add that I think these are for an advanced skier. They're sure and steady, but you do have to stay on top of them.

Tvan

Angel Diva
@Mary Brosnan - I don't have any feedback on the Renouns, but wanted to say welcome! I finished the Okemo Women's Alpine 5 day in January and really enjoyed the program. Hope you found it useful as well.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry I missed this too. I LOVE my z-90's!! Glad you are enjoying them too! I have used them on Eastern ice, Western Hardpack, 10" of Fresh East and West, in the bumps, crud and everything in between.
Awesome ski.. My avatar is 2 thumbs up on them at Whiteface!

Welcome to the Forum!

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome @Mary Brosnan to the forum. VERY interested to know how you liked your Z-90 skis.

Just noticed your post that you liked them :-)
So they are NOT only for advanced skiers, are they?

They will help anyone become a better skier (imho) they are sooooo stable!!
I still make my quick turns and of course they love big 'G-S' turns
The ability to have a ski that doesn't 'buck' you off in piles or skid in slickery snow is amazing!!

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They will help anyone become a better skier (imho) they are sooooo stable!!
I still make my quick turns and of course they love big 'G-S' turns
The ability to have a ski that doesn't 'buck' you off in piles or skid in slickery snow is amazing!!

They are great skis. I'm taking them to Utah on Friday for a trip to Snowbasin, Alta, Snowbird and I'm excited to see how they handle the conditions out West. I really don't know how to classify myself as a skier - I skied the entire mountain at Okemo - including one double black diamond with lots of bumps. But that mountain doesn't seem as steep as others I have skied. I always think of myself as an intermediate skier but maybe I'm getting better!

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Welcome @Mary Brosnan to the forum. VERY interested to know how you liked your Z-90 skis.

Just noticed your post that you liked them :-)
So they are NOT only for advanced skiers, are they?

I really don't know how to rate myself as a skier. Maybe it seems to be somewhere between intermediate and advanced depending on the mountain and the conditions! The skis were great from the first run in a variety of conditions.

nopoleskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
They are great skis. I'm taking them to Utah on Friday for a trip to Snowbasin, Alta, Snowbird and I'm excited to see how they handle the conditions out West. I really don't know how to classify myself as a skier - I skied the entire mountain at Okemo - including one double black diamond with lots of bumps. But that mountain doesn't seem as steep as others I have skied. I always think of myself as an intermediate skier but maybe I'm getting better!

I have them at Taos right now. Been in powder and on some serious hardpack (not as slickery as NE blue) I just love these skis!! I'm glad you do too!
Okemo is an 'easier' mt compared to many, no stress skiing I call it!

I think you'll love them out West, they are 'dreamy' on the soft powder corduroy and in the piles of powder they drive right thru it all!
I Can't wait to hear about your trip, I am an "Altaholic" and I love Snowbasin- @contesstant 's home Mt.
Have a wonderful trip!

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Mary Brosnan - I don't have any feedback on the Renouns, but wanted to say welcome! I finished the Okemo Women's Alpine 5 day in January and really enjoyed the program. Hope you found it useful as well.
I had a great time at the program. It was my first year doing it and my first time skiing at Okemo. I hear there are some women that have been going to the 5 day program for many many years!

marzNC

Angel Diva
@Mary Brosnan : noticed you are selling the Renoun Z90. Any particular reason? I see you bought the 157cm length.

If I wasn't having so much fun with my Stormrider 85s @159cm that I got in 2017, I'd consider the Renoun Z90 from all the rave reviews by other advanced skiers that are my size.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
@Mary Brosnan : noticed you are selling the Renoun Z90. Any particular reason? I see you bought the 157cm length.

If I wasn't having so much fun with my Stormrider 85s @159cm that I got in 2017, I'd consider the Renoun Z90 from all the rave reviews by other advanced skiers that are my size.
Thinking the same thing....... what are the specs on the z 90 ?

Mary Brosnan

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm selling the skis because I like them a lot but I don't LOVE them. I find the tails a little grabby at times, although I guess that could be my technique, but I tried some different skis out West that were more fun and I realized that it's not a love match. What I do really enjoy about them is that they are great in a wide variety of conditions, firm, icy, choppy and some powder. I'm not a super fast or highly aggressive skier and I think their best qualities may be suited to those types of skiers. They are also much heavier than my previous skis. But the more I ski the more I realize that picking a ski is a highly personal experience. Skis ski differently on different people.

Specs are 136-90-124 - length is 156.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Specs are 136-90-124 - length is 156.
Hmm, quite a lot wider at tip and tail than my all-mountain skis that are 159cm. Stormrider 85 are 127-84-109, R13.5. My old Black Pearls (2011) are 125-88-110, R17.

But the more I ski the more I realize that picking a ski is a highly personal experience. Skis ski differently on different people.
Yep, it's not just about height/weight. There are a lot of factors that go into what makes a ski design fun, or less fun. Even though I'm not looking for new skis, I'll keep going to as many free demo days as I can just to experiment with whatever is available.

Changing technique does make a difference. As Divas who start out buying skis as beginners find out within a season or two. I enjoy my Stormriders that I bought two years ago in a wide variety of snow conditions partially because of ski design and materials, and partially because my technique has improved even after I demo'd and bought them two years ago because they were fun.

At Big Sky last week I rented the Soul 7HD @162 after it started snowing, with specs 136-106-126, R17. I know from experience that I generally like Rossignol skis. As expected they were good fun in 5+ inches of fresh snow. What was a little unexpected was how well I could carve them on the wide groomers. I only started carving with high edge angles 2-3 years ago. Hadn't been on skis wider than 100mm for 4 years. I tried the DPS Zelda @158, 128-106-118, R18 at Snowbird in 10+ inches of powder. My notes from that day was that I didn't like them on the groomers. The afternoon before I was on the K2 LuvBoat @163 at Alta, which was 105 underfoot, and liked it better in general. Hadn't thought about the skis from that trip for a while.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna