• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Released, one year post ACL surgery!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
And no brace prescribed! I was not expecting to be released without a brace prescription, that's for sure. Last checkup, 9 months post surgery, he was pretty clear I would have to have a brace this season. One hundred percent cleared to do whatever I want.

Well, well. I did work my ass off in rehab with a return-to- sports-oriented PT facility.

I took this video on the one year anniversary of my surgery at the gym, just for grins. My surgeon is very conservative and he was impressed. I've gotten lots of kudos from him and others for how hard I worked on rehab. The only thing I can think of, is who WOULDN'T work hard in rehab if they want to get back to it? Sure, it hurt sometimes. It took and takes a lot of time.

I've been doing 60+ miles a month on my mountain bike since I was released to dirt, and continue with my fitness work outs.
For anyone that wants, I charted my progess via my Instagram account, @geargrrl https://www.instagram.com/geargrrl/
It's been fun to see how many rehab/PT followers I have.

I was just getting the hang of skate skiing when I lost a season. I'm not thrilled to think I will be back to beginner status but oh well.

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Wow! Thanks for posting this. I really need the inspiration. I had a total knee replacement 8 weeks ago and the recovery/PT process is slow! There are days when my attitude is great and others when I wonder if I'll really ski again this season. The knee is such a vulnerable place.

Any tips you have for staying the course most appreciated!

geargrrl

Angel Diva
Babette, I can't speak to knee replacement specifically. I made sure I got in with really good sports oriented PT for starters. PT is not all the same so ask around for who works with athletes in a return-to-sport model. As compared "return to cubicle" model. Then, do everything they say. Everything. Even if hurts, or takes a lot of time, or you've got other things to do. Every day you don't do your PT is one day less of rehab. There were many, many days that I spent an hour a day on all these stupid little exercises. Now, I don't know if I got more PT than usual. I know that my guy would get on the phone to hassle them for approvals, and it was written into my surgical notes that I was a professional mountain bike instructor and needed to be back to a certain level for my rehab.

Part of my motivation is how much cycling is a part of my life. The day I could take a bike outside instead of being on the trainer was a big deal. So was my first ride on dirt. It was really fun to post my little progress videos and photos to instagram. I found I got a lot of support for the little milestones which really helped.

You may not ski this season. I found out there's a whole lot of acceptance to deal with. I *could* have probably skied a few days last spring, but I chose not too because of the risk. I am glad I waited it out until now.

three weeks post surgery
http://instagr.am/p/BZRbLEUF9F0/

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna