• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Rejoice with me! Big breakthrough!

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I've been downhill skiing for 15 years (started late in life) and have always sucked - I mean, REALLY sucked - at powder skiing. I've skipped ski days because I've been so skittish about dealing with powder or ungroomed fresh snow. Until today!

When I was in Utah earlier this month, I skied alone with my now-retired ski coach for 2 hours, and we worked on SO many things. Lots of good progress that day. Today was the first day I was able to get back up to the mountain since the trip, and I couldn't just go tomorrow when it'll be nice and sunny because of work. So up I went, for a partial day of storm skiing. It's always made me nervous because of the low visibility. But I knew if I didn't get out there and just deal with it, I'd never figure it out.

The first run was sketchy, but then I put what my coach had told me to work, and things began to click. I did several runs at the bottom of the hill, and then the sun peeked out so I took several runs off the mid-mountain chair. Every run, it got easier and easier. Finally it all fit together and made sense. I even was getting some really good upper-lower body separation going, which was as much a delight as being able to navigate through powder. I was even looking for untracked and deeper stuff towards the end of my day!

It was between 4" and 6", so not super deep - but just to be able to ski it, and better each run, gave me the confidence I needed. It was loads of fun, and now I'm super excited to get back out there next week.

:jumphappy:

shadoj

Angel Diva
I am so happy for your breakthrough! Powder potential unlocked!
May the snow be nice and fluffy for you next week, too!

tinymoose

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hot garbage in powder. Never understood the appeal. It's totally a me issue; I'm not patient enough in my turns. Congrats on the breakthrough! <3

gardenmary

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm hot garbage in powder. Never understood the appeal. It's totally a me issue; I'm not patient enough in my turns. Congrats on the breakthrough! <3
This was me too, until today. Not sure I can explain it, but I will say my coach is the best. Whatever he told me, however he told it, locked in and delivered. But I also had to get beyond my fear.

BkGrrl

Diva in Training
Congratulations! You are definitely not alone. Thanks for your story. I have always wanted to take a powder-skiing lesson - and now I’m even more inspired to do so!

badger

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@tinymoose , my sentiments exactly!! I have even taken a private powder lesson and am still not compelled to seek the Holy Grail. Any my turns are also too fast. I am actually scared of the speed in powder.

This past week I was skiing in Durango at Purgatory ( Colorado ). SO MUCH SNOW. Even in Arizona my local resort has seen historical snow levels this month. I failed to enjoy the biggest powder day of the trip and wore myself out trying. Giving up was not an option as I feel determined to make friends with powder so at least I can get through it when I have to. I am also not going to get fat boards to accomplish this task, as I feel learning the techniques and tricks is more important to the foundational elements of skiing powder than the skis. I do have a pair of 90 waisted skis, but just used my 80s last week and managed fairly well.
But I have to say, I could barely walk to the parking lot after that effort.:rolleyes:

echo_VT

Angel Diva
Here to celebrate with you! amazing, I'm so glad to hear it :smile:

way to go on working at it, chipping away, and putting that work to practice when it snowed! it pays off! so very happy for you!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna