• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

REI creating hiking database, trails rated green/blue/black

marzNC

Angel Diva
No idea when the Hiking Project started up, but REI is creating a hiking trail database and social media hub for comments and pictures that is very impressive. The trails are rated green/blue/black. Sound familiar? :smile:

https://www.hikingproject.com

For the Boston area includes walking trails like Walden Pond and the greenway in Belmont. Trails are grouped by state and subregion. In the Adirondacks one of the subregions is all the trails that start at the Adirondack Loj. The amount of data available in the GPS and social media era is impressive. Includes elevation by distance. Here's an example for the Cecret Lake Trail at Alta.

Screen Shot 2018-07-11 at 7.43.08 AM.png

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
(If you have GPS tracks for areas or individual trails that we don’t have on the site yet, please consider adding them! Or, send them to me and I’ll get them added. We have fantastic coverage in many areas but still have spotty coverage in some regions.)

marzNC

Angel Diva
Ha, I work at REI on the team of 12 that makes those sites. :smile: The hiking site started in about 2013 and the company (Adventure Projects) got acquired by REI in 2015, which is when I joined. Almost 150k miles of hiking trail right now and growing pretty quick!

We have sites for other sports as well:
https://www.adventureprojects.net

And we’re hiring an Android engineer if you know anyone. :smile:
https://www.mountainproject.com/for...enture-projects-is-hiring-an-android-engineer
Aha! So that's what you do at REI. So cool!

Good to know that REI bought Adventure Projects. That's like Goggle buying Waze. The possibilities are endless.

The fact that active "nerds" are building the sites explains why I like the set up so well. :thumbsup:

Connecting People, Data and Outdoor Passions

We are bikers. We are climbers. We ski, run, hike, and revel in the mountains. But most of all, we are nerds. Big time. We design products we wish existed, then we build them, and then we use them to guide our outdoor adventures.

As part of the REI Co-op family, we’re dedicated to making websites and mobile apps that help outdoor enthusiasts connect, share information and get out into the places where they love to play.

Last edited:

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @marzNC, glad you like the sites. :smile: I might say that we've been a little TOO nerd-driven, product-wise, for the past few years, but I'm feeling really good about some new hires we've made and the direction we're going right now, and I'm hopeful we can keep the best of our nerdy / analytical / data-driven approach while cleaning up some rough edges.

If anyone else uses the sites or apps I'd LOVE to hear what you like / don't like... I am certainly aware of our many shortcomings but outside perspectives are crazy valuable. It's hard to see the forest from the trees sometimes when you've been working on something for years.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
This might not be the right place to post this but REI needs to change this ad that I keep getting on Facebook. https://www.rei.com/event/rei-unplu...=ad_lm-_-campout1_frontrange-_-denver-_-sm_fb

Note that it promises a "campfire" in Summit County, Co. on July 31st. Currently campfires are banned everywhere in Summit County. The worst part is there is a map of the location for the event which shows Wildernest which is on Buffalo Mountain. That's where the recent forest fire was. Firefighting cost was 1 million per day. Losses whould have been $913 mil. had the evacuated area burned. Totally irresponsible for REI to be promoting campfires.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
? The map shows Dillon Lake and a campground adjacent and not Buffalo Mountain at all. I'm not going to comment on the fire ban status, the event isn't until July 31 and fire bans can change in a two week period.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
The map shows the Wilderness subdivision and Ryan Gulch Road. That is the base of Buffalo. The fire occurred near the top of Ryan Gulch Road. A disclaimer should be put on the ad until the fire ban is lifted.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
OK, have you let them know your concerns directly? REIs customer service is pretty good, I'm sure they would address your concerns.

RachelV

Administrator
Staff member
Those events are run by local employees (as in, people local to the area -- they don't ship in people from afar to run events or anything), so I am sure they will be aware of & respect the fire bans, and that's probably just boilerplate copy that was overlooked by the social media team. I'll see if there's anyone I can ask to change it.

Little Lightning

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks. I'm really surprised that local employees didn't catch it. The fire damage is quite visible from the Dillon store.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly