• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Recovery after hip fracture

VTsnowflower

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a skiing friend who just broke her hip, had surgery, and is starting PT in recovery. She is wondering how other older women have coped with this. I have recommended that she join SkiDiva, but in the meantime, I will start this thread for her. Do you have experiences with a doctor who was pessimistic about full recovery from an injury/surgery, but you were determined to get your strength and mobility back? What did you do? What advice do you have? Thanks. (Hopefully she will join in and share her full story.)

snoWYmonkey

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't speak at all to fractures but I ski with quite a few people with new hips who have no issues whatsoever.

Salomon

Certified Ski Diva
I ski again having smashed up my lower leg skiing ( 10 inch plate and 15 screws still in there).
I was 51 when I did it, now 56. The surgeons here are very oriented for sports injuries...ski in winter , mountain bike summer. There was no question of not getting back on skis !
It takes time though. And work. An awful lot of hard work. This is the main thing you need to prepare for mentally. My husband just assumed I was like Lindsay Vonn and should be back on my skis in weeks. Life just isnt like that ! Time and a lot of effort is what it takes.
Also, its very different when you break something compared to having something replaced ie scheduled.
Its the soft tissue damage. As I understand, your soft tissues ( muscle, ligaments, tendons etc) will do everything possible to save that bone. This means they are all bent out of shape and likely very damaged. This is the stuff that takes time to heal .
Finding a way to wear ski boots with a second metal shin was difficult and very painful, but i managed. Some technique needs work as I back off when I shouldnt ...but most of it is mental tbh.

MaineSkiLady

Angel Diva
I didn't fracture anything, but I did badly tear a hip muscle and tendon (not a skiing incident) in 2019. The primary injury occurred in 2017. It took a lot of PT to get comfortably back to skiing. I was 70 when I did the full-on tear. I recommend tons of therapy, working up to it. I may never again be a hard-charger, but I'm so happy to just cruise.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna