• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Recovering from back injury (bulging discs)

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
I injured two discs in my back while bouldering in September last year. I was still able to maintain my normal activities with light pain, including skiing, but then I either re-injured or newly aggravated it in January. I went skiing again and the slightest bumps made it too painful to continue. After doing some physical therapy and resting a ton, my back is finally doing pretty well again, but I'm nervous about re-injury. I used to run to maintain fitness in the summer, but the PT and doctor both said that I should avoid running and jumping and that it might take up to 2 years to heal completely. I'm wondering two things: 1) does anyone have experience in completely recovering from this type of injury and if so, what helped you? 2) what are your favorite core-strengthening exercises to help protect against future injury? I am doing some exercises recommended by PT, but I'd love recommendations for any yoga classes, Pilates, or YouTube videos that you've found helpful. I'm 30 years old with no other mobility issues.

Basically, I really missed skiing all winter and want to set myself up for success next year, including more alpine touring. Any tips/advice would be welcome.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
An MRI three years ago showed two bulging discs (L4 and L5) and an annular tear. Lots of physical therapy, physiatrist visits, and continued visits with a personal trainer finally worked. I'm not sure what caused my discs to bulge but I was told the bulging (like jelly in a donut) can reverse and go back in the donut...... I am much much better now, still go to personal training once a week, and felt pretty good skiing last winter.
There's hope.... Others will chime in with specific exercises, etc....

Abbi

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I’m with the Pilates suggestions. However I do teach private Pilates sessions so my view is what I’ve seen work. I have taken clients directly from physical therapy. But my direction is based on what was suggested by the physical therapist. There is a lot of different work that can be done that might be beneficial. However I suggest caution in taking just anyone who “teaches Pilates“ versus someone who has gone through a comprehensive program and has some years of assessing bodies, that is the person, and their specific needs.

skiwest

Certified Ski Diva
An MRI three years ago showed two bulging discs (L4 and L5) and an annular tear. Lots of physical therapy, physiatrist visits, and continued visits with a personal trainer finally worked. I'm not sure what caused my discs to bulge but I was told the bulging (like jelly in a donut) can reverse and go back in the donut...... I am much much better now, still go to personal training once a week, and felt pretty good skiing last winter.
There's hope.... Others will chime in with specific exercises, etc....

We have basically the exact same MRI results - glad that you are doing much better now!

Babette

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have the same herniated discs L4 L5 and for several years I had cortisone injections that worked for months at a stretch! I haven't had a shot in probably 6 years. Who knows? I've no clue why the pain is no longer bothering me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly