• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Recommendations for new frontside ski (replacing 2016 Volkl Yumis) for intermediate skier?

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
Hello divas! I'm in my 4th year of skiing and am getting more comfortable skiing faster and on steeper groomers so I'm thinking it's time for me to consider new skis. My first pair of skis were Head Absolut Joys and I hated them, so my husband researched and picked up a pair of used Volkl Yumis which I immediately loved as they were so much easier to turn, especially given that I'm not an aggressive skier. We liked the Yumis so much I gave that pair to my daughter and I bought a longer pair which have served me well the past 3 seasons. However, this year I progressed from slarving turns on mostly greens with the occasional blue, to being comfortable carrying more speed on steeper terrain and starting to get the carving thing down. I feel like it may be time to get a more stable frontside ski as I progress towards carving and since I've now learned that I have zero desire to ever venture off the groomer runs. We are based in North Carolina where it's mostly man made snow (and I have not been a fan of the yumis when it's icey) but I really don't like the conditions here so I only go up a handful of days and then we spend 2-4 weeks out west in much better conditions. Because of this, I don't want to buy a ski that's predominately for East coast ice, but it would be nice if whatever I got did make those few days around here more tolerable.

What would y'all recommend for some skis that I would like? Do I want to look for something skinnier like something in a 70's width or are there some 80's width skis that would meet my needs? We've kept our eyes open for demo days when we are traveling but so far, none of them have been going on while out West. We've had Ikon passes the past 4 years but will be switching to Epic to ski some new mountains (and since Ikon continues to remove more of our favorite mountains) so maybe we'll catch a demo day next season but if there are some unanimous recommendations, we'll probably just pick of one of those on an end of year sale. Thanks for the help!

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
Btw- the 2 pairs of Yumis that we have are the older, softer models so keep that in mind. When I was first learning and skiing a lot slower, I liked how easy they were to turn/bend but I'm skiing a good bit faster now so it makes me wonder if a little stiffer might be better. That said, I'm very cautious and don't ski above my ability or push myself anywhere close enough to where I might fall so I'm definitely not an aggressive skier. I'm 5'2", 125 lbs.

marzNC

Angel Diva
Welcome! I'm also in NC, near Raleigh. My home mountain is Massanutten but I'm retired and ski a fair number of days out west.

Sugar Mountain near Boone has a demo weekend in mid-December. That's where I did my first demo day. The set up is that there are tents from assorted brands. The reps are generally pretty knowledgeable about what they bring. Snowshoe has a demo day too, but I don't remember off hand what month.

Don't have any recommendations. I'm a bit more petite and was an advanced intermediate when I starting buying better skis about 15 years ago. I've become a solid advanced skier in recent years with the help of lessons and Taos Ski Weeks. I happen to like the Head Absolut Joy and don't particularly like Volkl skis, although the Yumi is okay. So what I like is probably not going to help you decide.

marzNC

Angel Diva
What would y'all recommend for some skis that I would like? Do I want to look for something skinnier like something in a 70's width or are there some 80's width skis that would meet my needs?
My "all-mountain" skis as an adventurous intermediate were mid-70s underfoot. For skiing in the east, I have skis that are 78mm.

As an advanced skier, I use 85mm skis out west in all sorts of snow conditions from firm groomers to skier-packed powder to fresh powder up to 10 inches deep.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'm a similar size to you (measured recently as 5'2" and 116lb, although last season was probably closer to 120lb) and wonder if the Kenja 88 would work for you if you're thinking a little wider and stiffer than the Yumi. The "new" Yumi 84 is stiffer than the old, but I think given your height, weight, and advancing skills you would be OK on the Kenja if you are willing to drive it. I find the 2019 Yumi (154cm) a very "turny" ski and don't enjoy it on a true hard snow day even with fresh edges compared to my 2019 Kenja (156cm) or the Flair SC (155cm). You could also go the other way and get a carving ski if carving is the priority skill for you, but you will give up some of the floatiness you get with a wider all-mountain ski. From the description you give of wanting to head out west and presumably enjoy fresh snow on groomers, perhaps a more "all mountain ski" might be more appropriate.

I would still suggest that you see if you can demo or even go with a demo rental, because it's hard to know if you'll really like a ski as stiff as the Kenja or if you will prefer to retain some of the easier turning feel of the Yumi, e.g. more along the lines of the Rossi Experience 84/88 or Nordica Santa Ana 84/Astral 84. Or you may end up finding that you really just want to carve, and going with something narrower.

NewEnglandSkier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
and since I've now learned that I have zero desire to ever venture off the groomer runs.
If this is truly the case and you want to stick to groomers or when out west there may be some fresh snow on top of groomers (depends on how much of course), I'd focus on something 78-85 wide or so.
It sounds like you're still picking up carving skills and narrower skis are easier to build those skills on and it sounds like you want carving to be your main focus.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Liberty makes some impressively damp but nicely energetic skis. Since you liked the easy turn initiation of the Yumis, maybe check out the Liberty Genesis 90? Considering your stats, I'd recommend length 158 since it has a lot of rocker and skis short. I have the Genesis in width 101 and I love it all over the mountain, it's great on variable snow.

chasinghorizons

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Or the Liberty Evolv. Comes in 84 or 90 I think, a little better on frontside.
I thought about that, but wondered how it compares to the Head Absolut Joy? Since she said she hated those, and liked the easy turn initiation of the Yumis, do you think the tail rocker of the Genesis would be better? I haven't skied the Evolv.

Even the Genesis 101 feels like it pulls you into a carve, so I imagine the 90 is even easier.

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
Welcome! I'm also in NC, near Raleigh. My home mountain is Massanutten but I'm retired and ski a fair number of days out west.

Sugar Mountain near Boone has a demo weekend in mid-December. That's where I did my first demo day. The set up is that there are tents from assorted brands. The reps are generally pretty knowledgeable about what they bring. Snowshoe has a demo day too, but I don't remember off hand what month.

Don't have any recommendations. I'm a bit more petite and was an advanced intermediate when I starting buying better skis about 15 years ago. I've become a solid advanced skier in recent years with the help of lessons and Taos Ski Weeks. I happen to like the Head Absolut Joy and don't particularly like Volkl skis, although the Yumi is okay. So what I like is probably not going to help you decide.
Thanks and that's great to hear that Sugar has demo days. We typically hit Beech when we head up to Boone as my husband instructs there but will gladly make a trip to Sugar for a demo day.

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
I'm a similar size to you (measured recently as 5'2" and 116lb, although last season was probably closer to 120lb) and wonder if the Kenja 88 would work for you if you're thinking a little wider and stiffer than the Yumi. The "new" Yumi 84 is stiffer than the old, but I think given your height, weight, and advancing skills you would be OK on the Kenja if you are willing to drive it. I find the 2019 Yumi (154cm) a very "turny" ski and don't enjoy it on a true hard snow day even with fresh edges compared to my 2019 Kenja (156cm) or the Flair SC (155cm). You could also go the other way and get a carving ski if carving is the priority skill for you, but you will give up some of the floatiness you get with a wider all-mountain ski. From the description you give of wanting to head out west and presumably enjoy fresh snow on groomers, perhaps a more "all mountain ski" might be more appropriate.

I would still suggest that you see if you can demo or even go with a demo rental, because it's hard to know if you'll really like a ski as stiff as the Kenja or if you will prefer to retain some of the easier turning feel of the Yumi, e.g. more along the lines of the Rossi Experience 84/88 or Nordica Santa Ana 84/Astral 84. Or you may end up finding that you really just want to carve, and going with something narrower.
I have been thinking about the newer Yumi with the metal in it as it would be familiar but possibly still give me more performance. I wonder if it will be different enough, or if I'd prefer more of a carving ski. I really don't enjoy going off piste and usually stick to groomers even on powder days so I don't know that I'd want anything much wider than my Yumis (and wonder if I wouldn't prefer something even narrower). Of course, not having demoed many skis makes it hard to know what I'd prefer. My husband tried to get me to ski a few runs on my 13 y/o son's Elan Ripstick 86mm skis to try more of a directional, carving ski and now I wished that I had while out West this year to have something to compare. My son has narrower Head race skis and much wider powder skis but loves the Ripsticks on family groomer days when we are just cruising blues. He will probably outgrow them by next season and they are 158cm so it's possible that they could work for me. Have any of you skied those?

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
Thanks to all the others who posted! BTW- what is the relationship between width and length and is it different for women and men? My husband has 6-7 pairs from 70's up 120's but on family days, he typically skis 86mm Fischer carving skis, but they are also about 190cm long. So given their width to length, they are fairly narrow but wouldn't me skiing a 84-86mm that is only 154-158cm really be considered a medium to wide ski since my skis are 25% shorter? If I use the same proportion as his skis, 86mm would be like him skiing 100mm skis so should I really consider something quite a bit narrower for a carving ski? Besides floating in powder, what is the benefit of wider skis?

marzNC

Angel Diva
Thanks to all the others who posted! BTW- what is the relationship between width and length and is it different for women and men? My husband has 6-7 pairs from 70's up 120's but on family days, he typically skis 86mm Fischer carving skis, but they are also about 190cm long. So given their width to length, they are fairly narrow but wouldn't me skiing a 84-86mm that is only 154-158cm really be considered a medium to wide ski since my skis are 25% shorter? If I use the same proportion as his skis, 86mm would be like him skiing 100mm skis so should I really consider something quite a bit narrower for a carving ski? Besides floating in powder, what is the benefit of wider skis?
Not necessarily a difference between men and women if the same height, weight, and skiing ability and style. There are lighter weight men who like skis designed more for women. There are unisex skis. There are taller/heavier women who only ski skis designed more for men.

I use wider skis, meaning over 90mm, for two reasons. First would be when I'm lucky enough to ski in over 6-8 inches of fresh snow. Second is in the spring when temps have soften the snow to the point of either "corn snow" or pushed around piles. Corn snow skis somewhat like powder. Wider skis can mean going over a pile more easily.

I ski different widths at the same length for the most part. Although for skiing in the southeast, I like to get slightly shorter skis that are relatively narrow. Mostly just to have lighter skis to carry from the parking lot. Plus I can't get up to the same speeds on runs that last 2-3 minutes because they are simply short at a small mountain like Sugar, Beech, Wintergreen, or Massanutten.

teppaz

Angel Diva
I thought about that, but wondered how it compares to the Head Absolut Joy? Since she said she hated those, and liked the easy turn initiation of the Yumis, do you think the tail rocker of the Genesis would be better? I haven't skied the Evolv.

Even the Genesis 101 feels like it pulls you into a carve, so I imagine the 90 is even easier.
Based on the preference for groomers, I think the Evolv is a better choice. And I’d suggest the Rossi Experience 84 Basalt too.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I believe some companies (black crows maybe?) do scale width between lengths to try and maintain the ratio, however construction (shape, rocker/camber, material choice) and skier height + body mechanics play a part as well as limitations on how many different sizes a manufacturer chooses to offer. Carving skis tend to still be in the 65-80mm range regardless of length, but look vastly different to an all mountain ski or park ski in similar length and width. Similarly, there are 90mm skis that want to carve and 90mm skis that nearly insist on floating. @Analisa has posted a great dive into construction here if you are interested:

With regards to the advantage of wider skis, I often find then easier when the groomers become...less than perfect or more variable. A narrow ski is easier to put on edge but also easier to catch an edge when the groomers get lumpy. Powder is not the only thing I want to float in or skim over - variable, pushed around snow on groomers, spring slush, and the moguls that form on busier days I find easier with wider skis.

scnelson

Certified Ski Diva
I've been reading reviews on a several of the recommended skis here and one that seems like a potentially good fit is the Rossi Experience. I see the Experience comes in 2mm increments from 76mm up but they vary greatly in price where some widths are nearly half what the others cost which suggests that they are very different skis. Are the sub 80mm ones beginner skis and above 80mm more advanced? How do I know which width I'd prefer? Is there a reason they don't make them all similar quality so that someone like me that prefers groomers can get a 76mm without it being a total beginner ski?

Also, since these aren't twin tips like my Yumis, will I likely want to size down? My Yumis are 154cm and in no way feel too long (in spite of them being head high) so would a 152cm likely be my size or would I want to size down? The flatter tales will likely give me a longer effective edge (though the effective edge of the Yumis isn't short and is about the same as my son's 158cm Elan's because of the early rise on his shovels vs my really short shovels). It's tough to compare without seeing them in person. Thanks!

teppaz

Angel Diva
To answer the size question: I have the Experience 86 Ti and it definitely doesn’t ski short — I’m 5’8 for 180, I’m on the 167. Zero chatter at high speed, felt very confident. I was rocking the long Big Sky groomers.

I actually won the Ti in a giveaway. I was given a choice between that and the Basalt and I was told the Basalt was more for an intermediate skier.

Price-wise I’m not sure but I know the Basalt versions (a little friendlier from what I hear, and better for a smaller frame) are cheaper than the Ti ones. I was afraid the Ti would be too much ski but that hasn’t been the case at all. In fact I’ve been surprised by how poppy and lively it has been. Don’t narrower skis tend to be a bit cheaper than their wider versions in general? I don’t really know that stuff.

What does make a difference is the binding and I would recommend getting the ski flat rather than the Konect binding that can come with it (it’s heavy).

For what it’s worth, the top sheet are high quality. My Rossis have been on planes, were stacked against another pair in a car trunk, were skied over in lift lines: not a scratch.

Jilly

Staff member
I think Rossi calls its "all mountain rocker". If you look at the base, you'll see arrows in it. That's where the rocker starts. Tip and tail.

Titinaal makes the ski stiffer and more $$. The Basalt will be less stiffer and as @teppaz says better for a lighter skier.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna