• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Recommendation?

volklgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In-line skate preference is as individual as ski boot preference......buy whatever fits your foot best.

Here's what to look for:
  • Adequate ankle support
  • Ample calf support (you'll need it to use the brake effectively)
  • A ski boot-like fit (very, very snug)
  • Boot material - good quality plastic is more supportive, soft boot is cooler and more comfy
  • Good quality buckles
  • A stiff plastic, or even better, aluminum wheel frame
  • ABEC-5 or better bearings (the scale goes from 1-9, I believe)
Wheel considerations:
  • Size - larger is faster
  • Durometer (hardness) - harder is faster and lasts longer but gives a rougher ride
These numbers will be listed on the wheel or info sheet for the skate like this - 72/78....72mm is size, 78 Durometer is hardness.

I used to be all about Rollerblade, but I'm finding their current options for quality skates is pretty slim. I'm now in a K2 Flight (soft boot, lace with upper buckle, aluminum frame), and are very happy with their fit and durability.

Seriously though, do not buy cheap! Avoid Wal Mart or whatever, and plan to spend around $100-$200.

num

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I wanna echo volklgirl on this one. Also check out Bones Swiss, Super Swiss, or Ceramic bearings. Personally, I like them better than any of the abec rated bearings.

If you're thinking of buying online, www.skates.com has done me well in the past for all sorts of skate things. I also got my quadline skates (kind of an inline/traditional quad skate hybrid) from them. A little different from inlining, but lots of fun, and FAST.

lozz

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
num, you being an expert on skating can you give me some advice on how to start to learn skating. I have a pair of inline skates and admit to having had them a couple of years, but put them away after ending up on my butt most of the time. Its a shame not to use them as they are a good pair, and the Netherland being flat makes it an ideal place. Many people here inkine skate in the summer as training for speed skating in the winter.

Any tips to help get me going again would be appreciated.

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
In Line Skating Info

Lozz,
Today is Skate for Health day here and I just had a free in-line skate lesson. I am an absolute beginner at in-line skating but thought I would share what I've found out. There's a book that is highly recommended as a guide for beginners. It's called "Get Rolling, the Beginner's Guide to In Line Skating", by Liz Miller (available on Amazon.com). She also has a web site at Getrolling.com which has a lot of info (oriented toward this area) but it leads to all sorts of other links; there seems to be an unlimited amount of info out on the web. Hope that helps. Happy Skating!!

Ski Spirit

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
More sources on info on Inline Skating

Skating Information Sites:

International Inline Skating Association www.iisa.org/index.htm

About Inline Skating: The excellent site from the About.com network

Inline Planet.com: A very good site with interesting articles - Excellent writing and timely articles and interviews with skate luminaries

SkateLog: Kathie Fry's thorough portal about all things skating.Kathy Fry's SkateGRRL.com and Skatelog.com have the latest news and lots of pix

:smile:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna