• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Help Needed: Recommendation for snowsuit

Alpineglow

Diva in Training
I too am seeing one piece snowsuits as a “thing” even at Beech Mtn. NC! Have you checked eBay? I checked just for fun and there are quite a few listed. Good luck!

That’s so cool to hear!! I think they should totally make a comeback!! For someone like me that usually doesn’t buy “sport-y” coats, they seem to make sense. I prefer the style of longer coats that cover my legs but the downside to that is that a pair of actual warm snowbibs (or even regular snowpants for that matter) don’t really work with a coat like that I think. I thought long and hard about buying a jacket+bibs set since that seems to be the “normal” thing to do but #1 it would definitely be a little more money and #2 I realize that I would never wear one without the other anyways so why bother? The bathroom issue doesn’t bother me (but for people that are worried about it, a lot of the ones I’ve seen even have “bathroom access” built into the design!) and when we originally started looking a snowsuit is kind of what I already had in mind and I realize I don’t want a jacket and bibs at all, I totally want a snowsuit!

I did check eBay but most of what I found was vintage stuff, which exactly as liquidfeet said would make me feel like I just came out of a time machine!! Liquidfeet you totally took the words out of my mouth! A modern contemporary look is definitely what I want and seems to be hard to find in a style that isn’t waaaay over the top which I also found on eBay and Etsy a lot (I don’t want crazy patterns, contrasting colours and big fur hoods and cuffs).

You’re right about the lack of insulation on the snowverb suit. I suppose I can layer, but how much do you think I’d need? I’d really like to just put it over sort of regular clothes (sweatpants/jeans and a jumper?) but I think I might need more layers with that one. Some people in the reviews are saying it is insulated... but it certainly doesn’t looks as warm as some others I’ve seen. On the other hand I guess I don’t want to be too hot either so maybe it’s a good thing??

The last thing I want is for people to look at me like I’m crazy for wearing one so it’s great to hear more people are hopping on the snowsuit train! There’s something about a snowsuit for me personally... it just seems warm and cozy. When I have to venture out into the dreaded cold to walk the dog that’s exactly what I want. Maybe it takes me back to being a little kid playing in the snow :rotf: That one from Etsy looks like I could just curl up and fall asleep in it on a long drive!!!

I’m starting to feel like a member of a movement lol!! Long live the snowsuit!!! :yahoo:

Last edited:

elemmac

Angel Diva
Oneskee might be a brand to check out. They have a zipper for the ladies one piece suits to negate the bathroom issue. Plus suspenders to keep it up when you go into the lodge and take the jacket portion up. Both amazing features for a onesie.

https://www.oneskee.com/

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
You’re right about the lack of insulation on the snowverb suit. I suppose I can layer, but how much do you think I’d need? I’d really like to just put it over sort of regular clothes (sweatpants/jeans and a jumper?) but I think I might need more layers with that one.....
Do not wear cotton under your snowsuit. It will hold your sweat. Cotton does not wick moisture. You need wicking materials for your tops and bottoms under that cool snowsuit that you'll be getting. No cotton. No denim jeans. No sweatpants. No cotton tops. Get athletic wear that wicks and breathes.

If you are on a budget, thrift shops are flooded with these things. And eBay is overflowing. Make the seller an offer. Never buy at the asking price on eBay if you can avoid it. These things sit there online unsold for months. If you put things on your wishlist, you'll get offers in your email that are below asking price.

Good luck on getting what you want fast enough to enjoy it this season.

diymom

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Oneskee might be a brand to check out. They have a zipper for the ladies one piece suits to negate the bathroom issue. Plus suspenders to keep it up when you go into the lodge and take the jacket portion up. Both amazing features for a onesie.

https://www.oneskee.com/
There's a guy at Wachusett who always stands out in a crowd in his Oneskee. Of course some of that has to do with the fact that his is bright orange, he has a bright orange helmet, and is on Sleddogs.

Alpineglow

Diva in Training
Do not wear cotton under your snowsuit. It will hold your sweat. Cotton does not wick moisture. You need wicking materials for your tops and bottoms under that cool snowsuit that you'll be getting. No cotton. No denim jeans. No sweatpants. No cotton tops. Get athletic wear that wicks and breathes.

If you are on a budget, thrift shops are flooded with these things. And eBay is overflowing. Make the seller an offer. Never buy at the asking price on eBay if you can avoid it. These things sit there online unsold for months. If you put things on your wishlist, you'll get offers in your email that are below asking price.

Thank you so much, that’s great advise! I always forget about that, I knew jeans were a pretty big no-no for skiing/skating/exercise (and I would only ever wear them underneath if I was just wearing it to keep warm around the house/on my way somewhere I needed to wear a cute outfit or something like that, certainly not for skiing!) but I honestly never clued in that sweatpants would be made of cotton too, and sure enough, I checked the tags on mine and they are 55% polyester and 45% cotton! So... should I avoid them altogether or can I still wear them for warmth if I am wearing something better suited for wicking moisture underneath? I’m just thinking if I end up getting the snowsuit from snowverb, I might need quite a bit of extra insulation.

Either way, I’ll definitely have to find some better base layer clothing, great idea looking at thrift stores and eBay!! I can already see there is lots on there. Awesome.

Alpineglow

Diva in Training

Ha ha, exactly! Unfortunately it’ll probably be late March/April before I’m able to get anything shipped in, but I’ll be all set for next season! Plus everything seems to be on sale which is awesome :smile:

newboots

Angel Diva
Check out Sierra.com, backcountry.com, and steepandcheap.com for deals on merino wool base layers. You’ll be very happy that you did. I bought all my baselayers this way and I own very high quality that was inexpensive. Merino is non-itchy, wicks moisture, doesn’t smell(!), and lasts a long time. Alternatives are synthetics that are developed just for athletic use, so will wick moisture. Which will prevent you from freezing horribly!

Peppermint

Angel Diva
I have been seeing one piece ski suits a lot this year. I will admit on very cold days I was a bit jealous although I love love love my Helly Hansen jacket. I am sure they are very warm but be warned - they are not versatile. I was skiing at Okemo on Wednesday when it was 55 degrees and I was chatting with a woman who was wearing a very stylish black puffed one piece and she was DYING as she was so hot. She actually told me she was going to ski with the zipper up to her waist and have the sleeves flop behind her. I wish you luck on your search.

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you so much, that’s great advise! I always forget about that, I knew jeans were a pretty big no-no for skiing/skating/exercise (and I would only ever wear them underneath if I was just wearing it to keep warm around the house/on my way somewhere I needed to wear a cute outfit or something like that, certainly not for skiing!) but I honestly never clued in that sweatpants would be made of cotton too, and sure enough, I checked the tags on mine and they are 55% polyester and 45% cotton! So... should I avoid them altogether or can I still wear them for warmth if I am wearing something better suited for wicking moisture underneath? I’m just thinking if I end up getting the snowsuit from snowverb, I might need quite a bit of extra insulation.

Either way, I’ll definitely have to find some better base layer clothing, great idea looking at thrift stores and eBay!! I can already see there is lots on there. Awesome.
Avoid the sweatpants regardless!! You will NOT have a happy time. The most cotton I usually ever see anyone wear is a t-shirt over a baselayer and that's for spring skiing (i.e. warm days.)
I love my merino - I'm a mons royale fan mainly because it's easy to find their stuff heavily discounted where I live. There are other good brands that do machine washable merino layers as well and you should be able to find good deals online for your base layers.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna