• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Real Petite Lady Looking for New Skis

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Rachoo what is on your current demo list? It sounds as if we have have similar stats in terms of being intermediate, west coast and size. I'm slightly taller and lighter.

I'm on BP 88 at 153.

newboots

Angel Diva
Thanks for the warm welcome! After reading all of the other ladies' comments, thinking maybe I should demo some skis this season. I can always return the QST within a year if I end up with other demo skis :smile:

Also - would you mind sharing weight/ height and what made you decide on the Black Pearl 82 vs a 88 for example ?
I’m 5’4”, 145 lbs, intermediate. I ski in the Eastern US, where we see boilerplate and ice regularly.

I thought an 88 would be more difficult to put on edge, particularly at the level I was skiing at the time I bought them.

Then I demoed the 82s. Love at first trail! My old skis let the crud/chop throw me all over the place. The BPs were nice and smooth.

Rachoo

Diva in Training
Based on what I'm seeing in this thread, I think I'll try to get my hands on these. I feel like it's gonna be a different feeling going from the Elan Zest 76/140cm. So maybe slowly try the different waists and height and see what feels best?

BP88/ BP82
Head Joy 85
MindBender 85
Pandora Line 84
QST 92

@Rachoo what is on your current demo list? It sounds as if we have have similar stats in terms of being intermediate, west coast and size. I'm slightly taller and lighter.

I'm on BP 88 at 153.se

Christy

Angel Diva
Head Joy 85
I own these, and exclusively ski them when I go to the Rockies (Sun Valley, where they get little snow and it's usually hardpack, in particular). I have never--not once--skied them here in the PNW. Our snow is soft and we get lots of it. I took them to Lake Louise once, not knowing how much it would snow (it was April), but it did, and the skis were so much work. No flotation in new snow. They just sink.

Try the BP 98. You don't have anything like that on your list. Like I mentioned that's my everyday ski for both Crystal and Snoqualmie. Not everyone loves the BP--maybe you won't--but I would highly recommend that you get some wider skis on that list. Your home mountain holds the world record for snow! You got 704" last year!

Pequenita

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry late reply! I had to fish my skis from the shed. I've been skiing the Elan Zest 140 (3 inch / shy of 76mm waist) so I guess children's skis? Not exactly woman skis... Thanks for your input! I think maybe my 110lb should help with skis over 150... Also, have you tried skis with 85 vs 90 waist?
I have! The biggest differences that you will feel between the skis you've been on and the skis that are being recommended to you is that it is easier to get away with twisting or rotating skis that are shorter than long skis. Also, a 76mm waisted ski will tip onto its edge faster than a wider ski, so they will feel like they are more responsive. You will also move downhill faster on longer skis and be more stable at speed than on short skis. On the other hand, on the shorter skis, you would have been honing your balance.

I am a more advanced skier, taller than you, but a little lighter. I lived in Seattle for ~6 months about a decade ago (it was a la Nina year, so lots of snow, not all of it heavy) and skied at Stevens Pass and Whistler a bunch. To be completely honest, I was terrible at skiing deep fresh snow then and have only sort of improved since. I was on 146cm skis with 92mm waist and a traditional rocker (these are my backcountry skis) and had about 30 years of bad skiing habits built up. I still have those skis, but ski them exclusively backcountry now. My resort skis are 156cm skis with an 87mm waist also traditional rocker. They are great everyday skis, and I'm very comfortable in them up to around 8" of fresh snow. After that, I really like wider, rockered skis closer to 100mm. The two skis don't really compare well because they are so different, even in construction.

Analisa

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
@Rachoo - waists are quite close, but the other thing that tends to change with the waist width is the amount of rocker on the front of the ski. Rocker helps you float on top of fresh snow, and really comes in handy in the PNW. In colder, drier snow, it's less of an issue if your skis sink, since the snow doesn't create as much resistance for your turns. In "Cascade Concrete," turning can get really difficult when it's wet and heavy.

Below is the profile for the Pandora 84, 94, and 104. The 84's designed for skiers who are spending almost all of their time on groomers, maybe some easy mogul runs, and doesn't need a lot of rocker in the ski. The Pandora 104 is for the skier who spends more than half of their time off piste & in powder. The 94 splits the difference and is a compromise (and the Lux 92 shares a really similar shape).

Based on what you've written, the right amount of rocker for you could be the 84 or 94, depending on a few other pieces of information. How often do you plan to ski and what are your goals for the season? And how quickly did you progress to where you are now? You want your ski to provide enough runway for growth for the rest of the season. If you're already cautiously skiing blues with 10 days under your belt and plan to get about 30 sessions in between nights and weekends, I'd get something with off-piste capabilities for ungroomed blacks. If you've put in 25 in past seasons and plan to get 10-15 in this year, you likely won't outgrow the 84s super quickly.

The other factor is when you ski. "Groomers" at Snoqualmie only stay groomed so long. With the frequent snowfall, there are definitely days where they groomed overnight and have 4, 6, or 10 inches of snow on top that has fallen since morning. If storm day skiing (or traffic) isn't your jam, you can get away with less rocker. If you'll be there every Saturday, no matter the weather, some extra float will come in handy.

Rocker also makes the ski feel shorter. In the Pandora line, I ski the 104 in a 172, the 84 in a 165, and feel a little between sizes in the 94. The 94 in a 151 will feel a little more nimble than the 84. (And likewise, the Lux in a 153 might feel similar to the Pandora 84 in a 151).

rocker2.PNG

All of the skis that you've mentioned are a subset that I call "vanilla" skis. Not too stiff, not too poppy, not designed for the ex-racer type or ex-park rat type. Every brand has a line of crowd-pleaser skis that work for most recreational skiers and aren't tailored to smaller niches in the ski world. I think demoing makes a lot of sense, or some people find the best bargain across the options of those agreeable all mountain skis and plan to resell in the off-chance they're not a fit.

vivian.wc

Diva in Training
Hey there Vancouverite! It's a major struggle for us small gals... The ski shop surprisingly didn't mention anything about the length. Why do you not think it's worth going down to mid-80s just curious.
Hey Vancouver Gals! I was on Yumis 147s but now they've delaminated, so I've been at several ski shops trying to figure out what's my next ski. I loved my Yumis because they were easy to ski, and the waist was 84 so I never found them to be too much. My only issue with them was that they were too soft when I did need more performance out of them. I'm in the same boat, I'm 5'0 and 95lbs, but an advanced skier. However, I've also found that I hate long skis because I don't have the ability to drive them from tip to tail without working extremely hard, and at the end of an instructing day, I just don't have the energy to do that.

The ones that the local ski shops recommended for me were the K2 Mindbender 88tis, the Volkl Secret 92s, BP88s, and Elan Ripstick 88s. So basically all within the 88-92 range. It seems that it was based on the fact that most skis are made within that waist range now, and it's a good all-mountain mixture for both powder and groomers.

newboots

Angel Diva
Hi, @vivian.wc ! So glad to have you with us. I don't have specific recommendations, but I know that there will be plenty. (And if there aren't, start a separate thread. No need to hold back!)

:welcome:

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Hey Vancouver Gals! I was on Yumis 147s but now they've delaminated, so I've been at several ski shops trying to figure out what's my next ski. I loved my Yumis because they were easy to ski, and the waist was 84 so I never found them to be too much. My only issue with them was that they were too soft when I did need more performance out of them. I'm in the same boat, I'm 5'0 and 95lbs, but an advanced skier. However, I've also found that I hate long skis because I don't have the ability to drive them from tip to tail without working extremely hard, and at the end of an instructing day, I just don't have the energy to do that.

The ones that the local ski shops recommended for me were the K2 Mindbender 88tis, the Volkl Secret 92s, BP88s, and Elan Ripstick 88s. So basically all within the 88-92 range. It seems that it was based on the fact that most skis are made within that waist range now, and it's a good all-mountain mixture for both powder and groomers.
Add the Kenja 88 and Santa Ana 88/93 to the list as well if you haven't tried them and discounted them already. Both are stiffer than the Yumi, but not inaccessible. I know many smaller women had trouble flexing the "old" versions of both skis, but the more recent years have less metal. And don't be put off by the slightly longer length of the Santa Ana, they are more rockered and ski short.

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

hey @vivian.wc which local Van ski shops did you go to? Will you try and demo anything?

vivian.wc

Diva in Training
hey @vivian.wc which local Van ski shops did you go to? Will you try and demo anything?
I went to North Shore Ski and Board, The Destination, Comor, and West Side Sports. And I checked in with the rental shop at Grouse, where I work, to see if I could demo the Elan Ripsticks. Unfortunately, because of my stats, they weren't able to find anything in my sizes that I could demo, so I have a feeling I won't be able to demo before I buy skis, since I desperately need them before I can start work as an instructor again... obviously whoops.

If you're planning to demo, I chatted to several people to see what the best option was, and it seems that Whistler is the only option for us shorter ladies

vivian.wc

Diva in Training
Add the Kenja 88 and Santa Ana 88/93 to the list as well if you haven't tried them and discounted them already. Both are stiffer than the Yumi, but not inaccessible. I know many smaller women had trouble flexing the "old" versions of both skis, but the more recent years have less metal. And don't be put off by the slightly longer length of the Santa Ana, they are more rockered and ski short.
I need something stiffer for sure, so the Kenja 88s have been on my watchlist. How do you think they compare to the Secrets? My friend LOVES her Santa Anas, but you're right I was put off by their length, especially since I hated the 150 Roxy Shimas that I used, I felt like they were just so long. They ski short, you say? In all conditions?

FayGoneAstray

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I went to North Shore Ski and Board, The Destination, Comor, and West Side Sports. And I checked in with the rental shop at Grouse, where I work, to see if I could demo the Elan Ripsticks. Unfortunately, because of my stats, they weren't able to find anything in my sizes that I could demo, so I have a feeling I won't be able to demo before I buy skis, since I desperately need them before I can start work as an instructor again... obviously whoops.

If you're planning to demo, I chatted to several people to see what the best option was, and it seems that Whistler is the only option for us shorter ladies
@vivian.wc - thanks yes more difficult to demo for petite ladies for sure!
Is this the Canski WB demo hut that might have options to demo this year at WB? Or other stores? Thanks!
Good luck with your search for your perfect ski!

scandium

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need something stiffer for sure, so the Kenja 88s have been on my watchlist. How do you think they compare to the Secrets? My friend LOVES her Santa Anas, but you're right I was put off by their length, especially since I hated the 150 Roxy Shimas that I used, I felt like they were just so long. They ski short, you say? In all conditions?
I haven't managed to get on the Secrets yet - but Kenjas compared to the Yumis are SO much more stable and secure, although they do like more aggressive driving generally and some people find them hard to flex. I am 120lb, and currently ski the 2019 version (90 under foot with 2 sheets of metal) in a 156cm as my daily driver. I demo'd the Kenja 88 in 156cm 2 years and 10lb ago (110lb) and I think it would have been the right length for me, but I was struggling a little on it off piste then (related to moguls and lack of confidence). I also own the 2019 Yumis in a 154 and find them a bit soft but very easy to turn.
I have only tried the 2021 Santa Ana 93 in very early season conditions, but on the 158 I felt completely fine on-piste on fairly solid snow, and have been on the first non-metal version in a 163 with no issues.

vivian.wc

Diva in Training
@vivian.wc - thanks yes more difficult to demo for petite ladies for sure!
Is this the Canski WB demo hut that might have options to demo this year at WB? Or other stores? Thanks!
Good luck with your search for your perfect ski!
Definitely try Whistler, but I've heard their sizes are still the 154+ range

fgor

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thanks! As unlikely to find much to demo in my size and what I want to demo I just went ahead and bought the Ripsticks 94w in 146cm (If I am remembering the length correctly - it's under 150cm whatever it is).
Yay! Good luck, hope you love them! :becky:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MermaidKelly