• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Re-waterproofing ski pants?

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I have a pair of marmot ski pants that I love, love, love. Stretchy in all the right places, cargo pockets, don’t make me look huge.

But after years of wear they are not in the slightest bit waterproof. My thighs are soaking if it snows while I’m on a chairlift.

Can I fix this? Or do I need to replace?

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I re-waterproof my ski pants every fall before first day on snow. I hang them outside on a tree branch and spray then leave so I don't breathe it in. To get the pants fully covered with spray, it takes several return visits to the hanging pants to spray what I couldn't cover the first time, since I hold my breath when spraying.

Get a fabric spray that says it is water-proof but also breathable. There are different brands. I've even used Scotchguard.

I don't tend to wash my ski pants until season is over since they are shells and don't really need washing. (I wash the liners every day). So the waterproofing lasts all season. I don't know how the sprays will hold up when washed.

The wash-in kind of water-proofing does something odd to the fabric. It makes it softer than it was originally. I don't like it. I prefer the sprays.

Here is a review of sprays.
https://www.globosurfer.com/best-waterproofing-sprays/

Last edited:

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
By the way, re-waterproofing means it's OK to buy used ski pants from the thrift shop and eBay. If one skis on a tight budget, this is the way to go.

geargrrl

Angel Diva
(geargrrl chiming in)
The reason Techwash makes your pants feel weird is because it is not actually a cleaner. It is a vehicle to get the DWR to stick to the fabric.

Here is my annual "best practices" for rewaterproofing clothing:
For washing, here’s the best practice to get it both clean and waterproof.
Both Nikwax and Granger’s make special products. Most better outdoors stores carry one brand or the other. You want Tech-Wash & TX-Direct for the first part (by Nikwax) or Granger’s is Performance Wash & Clothing Repel. One is a special wash, the second is Durable Water Repellent.

My instructions are slightly different from the label. The reason why is step #1 is a vehicle to get #2 to work, but it’s not really a cleaner. If you follow the label instructions your stuff never looks actually “clean”. Doing the second part in the washer doesn’t work very well as the whole inside gets coated too.
  1. Wash item with liquid detergent. You can treat grimy areas with Shout or similar
  2. Rinse 3 times.
  3. Now wash with Tech Wash, remove from washer.
  4. If your second part came in a spray bottle, lay jacket out and spray it, use a sponge brush to spread it evenly, pay close attention to getting the entire surface of the coat wet. If the second part is a liquid, pour it out into a dish and do the same thing with sponge brush.
  5. When jacket is thoroughly coated, put it in a low dryer for about 10 minutes, then line dry.

Moonrocket

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Also thought I would clear the record - apparently my favorite ski pants are Mammut not Marmot. I got my M animals mixed up.

I hope this works cause I just saw what a new pair costs! I’m certain I got these on Sierra Trading Post back when they had coupons!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna