• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Re-new skier, help with gear choices?

newboots

Angel Diva
Eww! Hot black powder! (I think it's a form of iron.) But who wants it in your mittens?

MissySki

Angel Diva
I have bought those hand warmers. I don't like the brand (Little Hotties), but they are the cheapest option out there. The little bags sometimes break and the black powder escapes into the interior of my mittens. Yuk! I buy Hot Hands (I think that's the brand) from my local ski shop and they have never leaked the powder.

BJ’s has the large boxes of Hot Hands in the fall, great price.

Jilly

Staff member
Costco has a electric glove. It's made for the hockey Mom's to stay warm in an arena. But an overglove might make it work.

just jane

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
A couple of additional suggestions on base layers: most boot fitters will tell you to buy THIN socks, which are shockingly hard to find. I can never find thin ski socks in retail stores, I have to go online. On your baselayer bottoms, go for knicker-length if you can. Basically, the idea is to have as little extra stuff as possible in your ski boots, so you can use them to maximum advantage for your skiing. At least as far as I understand it.

newboots

Angel Diva
Yes, "medium cushion" socks take up more room, as do full-length baselayers. I have some wonderful capri-length baselayers from Helli Hansen: wool, warm, and nothing to stuff into the boot.

With rental boots I would bring an extra pair of socks in case they are too loose (but not before trying a size smaller). I met someone at Hunter the other day who was given a men's size 7 boot when she told the rental guy she wore a size 7. Didn't figure it out until after lunch! She was worried that she had forgotten how to ski!

Alisonpv

Certified Ski Diva
Thank you guys, SO much!

Our ski outing went mostly very well. I did have an accident, which I’ll get to later..

I didn’t take a lesson this time, and I can’t wait until I can take one the next time I go out (unfortunately, it’ll be next season.)

The Belle to Belle skis! Holy cow!! They were fantastic! They handled BEAUTIFULLY!!! These are my first modern shaped skis, and I was just so impressed. I just had to think about turning, and they turned. Turning parallel felt effortless, absolutely amazing!

The muscle memory is apparently like riding a bike because it took almost no time to remember. We stayed on the bunny hill with the kids, I can’t wait to see how they handle down a regular run - (after the lesson ;) )

My kiddo also did amazing! We got him skis and boots for really cheap at a ski swap, and I (Santa) ordered him a helmet and googles which he got for Christmas. He absolutely can’t wait to go out again. He couldn’t quite get the snowplow yet, but he did get turning, quickly. And got falling/getting up fairly well.

SO. I did unfortunately have a frustrating freak accident. It was toward the end of the day, We had gotten to the top of the bunny hill and were off to the side. He was practicing falling down and getting up, and I bent down to help him up. My mask fogged my glasses, and as we stood up, his ski slid over mine and I didn’t see it. I went to push off slightly and we both went down and I have a Tibial Eminence (ACL Avulsion) fracture ‍♀️. We didn’t even go down hard, Frustrating.

So .... added equipment for next year, contact lenses!

The good news is it could have been way worse. We both LOVED it, I’m glad my fall didn’t freak him out, and make him averse to going again.

liquidfeet

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Thank you guys, SO much!

Our ski outing went mostly very well. I did have an accident, which I’ll get to later..

I didn’t take a lesson this time, and I can’t wait until I can take one the next time I go out (unfortunately, it’ll be next season.)

The Belle to Belle skis! Holy cow!! They were fantastic! They handled BEAUTIFULLY!!! These are my first modern shaped skis, and I was just so impressed. I just had to think about turning, and they turned. Turning parallel felt effortless, absolutely amazing!

The muscle memory is apparently like riding a bike because it took almost no time to remember. We stayed on the bunny hill with the kids, I can’t wait to see how they handle down a regular run - (after the lesson ;) )

My kiddo also did amazing! We got him skis and boots for really cheap at a ski swap, and I (Santa) ordered him a helmet and googles which he got for Christmas. He absolutely can’t wait to go out again. He couldn’t quite get the snowplow yet, but he did get turning, quickly. And got falling/getting up fairly well.

SO. I did unfortunately have a frustrating freak accident. It was toward the end of the day, We had gotten to the top of the bunny hill and were off to the side. He was practicing falling down and getting up, and I bent down to help him up. My mask fogged my glasses, and as we stood up, his ski slid over mine and I didn’t see it. I went to push off slightly and we both went down and I have a Tibial Eminence (ACL Avulsion) fracture ‍♀️. We didn’t even go down hard, Frustrating.

So .... added equipment for next year, contact lenses!

The good news is it could have been way worse. We both LOVED it, I’m glad my fall didn’t freak him out, and make him averse to going again.
Oh, so sorry to hear of your accident. What a shame! But you sound happy your skiing went well. Great attitude!

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Sounds like it went well except for the last part. I was in the Portes du Soleil and a similar thing happened. I was just standing there and a skier in front started backing up and I went down. Simply went down as my skis were sliding apart. End result ACL Avulsion and flap tear to meniscus. No surgery necessary. This was in mid March and I was done for the season. Did PT...
You might be okay in March ?

newboots

Angel Diva
So sorry to hear! A freak accident, indeed!
but you sound so happy and excited. That’s great!

Alisonpv

Certified Ski Diva
Sounds like it went well except for the last part. I was in the Portes du Soleil and a similar thing happened. I was just standing there and a skier in front started backing up and I went down. Simply went down as my skis were sliding apart. End result ACL Avulsion and flap tear to meniscus. No surgery necessary. This was in mid March and I was done for the season. Did PT...
You might be okay in March ?

March would be amazing.

I hear the injury is rare in adults, but when it does happen it’s almost always on skis.

So how did they treat your fracture, Immobilize and non weight bearing? When did you start PT and how long did you go?

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
March would be amazing.

I hear the injury is rare in adults, but when it does happen it’s almost always on skis.

So how did they treat your fracture, Immobilize and non weight bearing? When did you start PT and how long did you go?
Orthopedist didn't really do anything after MRI.. I wore a knee brace for about two weeks. Started PT (probably within a week of my visit upon my return from my trip) and went for about 8 weeks. Then continued with a trainer once a week. Yours may be different. Did you get an MRI ? I was told they don't do surgery and it would heal on its own. And it did.

Alisonpv

Certified Ski Diva
Orthopedist didn't really do anything after MRI.. I wore a knee brace for about two weeks. Started PT (probably within a week of my visit upon my return from my trip) and went for about 8 weeks. Then continued with a trainer once a week. Yours may be different. Did you get an MRI ? I was told they don't do surgery and it would heal on its own. And it did.

8 weeks isn’t bad at all!

CT was last week, MRI was today, results and pre-op appointment on Monday, surgery scheduled for Tuesday.

I’ll ask him..

I’m almost 2 weeks in the brace already. There’s very little pain, (even the night of the accident itself. It wasn’t ever extremely painful.). It swelled like CRAZY, and bruised. The knee definitely is weak and I don’t think I could bear weight on it, though I haven’t tried - instructions not to.

I am really glad it was such a successful healing! That’s encouraging.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
CT was last week, MRI was today, results and pre-op appointment on Monday, surgery scheduled for Tuesday.
I didn't have surgery..... are they going to surgically repair the avulsion fracture?

bsskier

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Sorry to hear about your accident and hope you’re on a quick mend. For the future, you may consider drop in prescription lenses if you don’t go for contacts. I cannot wear contacts and am in my third year of wearing goggle inserts. They’re amazing.

santacruz skier

Angel Diva
Yeah, that’s the plan... arthroscopically, using metal sutures, not screws. But I’ll ask again about non surgical treatment and the whys/why not.

These are the CT images (drop box link. Unsure about the rules on posting medical imaging here)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/9wfuetaxuqw3lo1/AAC0yVxuDF-hSBRUZn2hlaBBa?dl=0
I'm sure there are different degrees of avulsion fractures. As far as surgical treatment, I was told "at your age" we don't recommend it. Thankfully, mine healed .. I still wear a brace with metal hinges on the sides while skiing though.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LaurieAnna